real time web analytics
Report - - Smethwick Swimming Centre - March 2024 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Smethwick Swimming Centre - March 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZZZAP!

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Smethwick Swimming Centre (previously Smethwick Baths) was opened in 1933 with an art deco style. As well as a high arched ceiling above the pool which was inspired by aircraft hangers in France. In the Second World War the tunnels underneath were used as an air raid shelter. After the war during the winter months, they would cover the pool over and stars such as The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks and Tommy Cooper performed there. A second small pool was added in the 1960s and from the 1970s onwards the pools were in use all year round. Smethwick Swimming Centre closed in 2023 following the opening of Sandwell Aquatics Centre half a mile away, there were talks about converting it in to a community hub and orchestra hall, but so far nothing has happened.

More history can be found here - https://www.slt-leisure.co.uk/upload/files/SSC complete history.pdf

Visited with @Hellboy and @flasher, this site had been on my radar since it closed but only got the opportunity to take a proper look recently, after a nightmare morning of failed explores we headed back towards home and I suggested we take a look at this on the way, not expecting to have any luck getting in. So I was pleased when we were successful.

What made this visit surreal and special for me is for the first time I was exploring somewhere I had visited when it was open. I had my first swimming lessons here when I was a child as well as attending quite a few birthday parties for school friends too. It was amazing how little it had changed, the old style signs and even the paint work I don't recall changing much since I was last there in the early 2000s.

Enjoyed about an hour here before we realised someone had turned up to re-set the alarm, we made a hasty exit.

In the excitement of everything and trying to find the main pool area because we knew time would be limited, I forgot to take any photos of the tunnels and boiler area but they're well documented online. Pictures were taken with a mixture of my camera and phone.

20240323_135452.jpg

DSC_0015.JPG

Reception area.

DSC_0016 redone.jpg

I remember the kiosk where you would pay in was where that signage advertising the new Sandwell Aquatics Centre is on the left. It's been covered over.

20240316_143810.jpg

Entrance to changing rooms.

20240316_150246.jpg

The changing rooms haven't changed since I was last here in the early 00s.

DSC_0002.JPG

The main pool.

DSC_0004.jpg

20240316_144852.jpg

View from the spectator balcony.

20240316_143859.jpg

The small pool, I remember having my first swimming lessons here in the late 1990s.

20240316_144629.jpg

Upstairs.

DSC_0021.jpg

Loads of old style signage still about.

DSC_0018 edited.jpg

One of the dance studios, I remember attending birthday parties in this room when I was a kid.

DSC_0025.jpg

Another dance studio.

20240316_150645.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hellboy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The college in Gloucester was the highlight of the day.

Them bruises And cuts on my legs stayed for ages.