real time web analytics
Report - - The Typhoo Tea Factory, Moreton - May 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Typhoo Tea Factory, Moreton - May 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
May 2024

The Visit
I visited this place with @stranton and @Mr Budge. In the past, I have had a few attempts at seeing the neighbouring Burtons Biscuit factory, but I didn't have much luck back then. The old factory has since been demolished, and a new housing estate now stands in its place. However, a portion of the original factory still remains, divided into three smaller factories. One of them is occupied by Premier Foods who produce products such as the Milk Roll for Cadbury. A much smaller building which was used by the Barry Callebaut chocolate refinery who closed their site in 2022, and the final section which until July last year was the home of Typhoo Tea.

Tea Factory Map Gronk.001.jpeg

Site Map​

I vaguely remember hearing about the proposed closure of the factory around a year ago, but I didn't think much of it at the time. That is, until I passed by it on the train a few weeks ago whilst on the way to visit family in the Wirral. The factory appeared to be in a state of disrepair, and that piqued my curiosity, a wee later I was back ready to take a look.

The Typhoo factory is quite sizeable, with a manufacturing facility spanning approximately 28,740-square metres on a 4.76-hectare site. The buildings on the premises have been developed over the years, resulting in a mishmash of different architectural styles and qualities. The original main warehouse section, for example, features a concrete frame construction with north-facing roof lights and brick walls. Towards the north, the property consists of two and three-story buildings with brick exteriors. On the southern side, there are sections that are three and four stories tall. Unfortunately, the three-story section was in a terrible state, with water leaking through every floor and even a few stalactites hanging from the ceiling. Weirdly, I haven't been able to find any mentions of the factory on social media or GoonTube, how it has managed to remain under the radar for so long is frankly amazing.

However, the same cannot be said for the main admin building at the front of the site. It has fallen victim to extensive vandalism, with all the majority of windows smashed. Inside, the filing cabinets are still filled with purchase orders and staff records, and boxes of tea are scattered across the floor. Thankfully, the vandalism appears to have been contained to the admin area, as the main factory itself other than being stripped for parts seems to have escaped any real damage.

If you’d like to see what the now demolished section of the site looked like @urbanchemist did a fantastic report which can be found here: Report - - Burtons Biscuits - part of (Moreton, Wirral, Jun, 2018) | Industrial Sites

Cadbury Factory.jpg

Workers leave the Cadbury factory at the end of a shift in 1961​

The History
Construction began on the future home of Typhoo in 1952 when Cadbury Bros Ltd built a factory in Moreton, Wirral to help revitalise Merseyside post-WW2. The factory was completed two years later, and on September 17, it was officially opened by Mrs. Lawrence Cadbury. The focus was on producing Cadbury chocolates, biscuits, hot chocolate powder, and even instant mashed potatoes. The site featured a library and social club for workers, fostering a strong sense of pride among the workforce. Over time, the workforce expanded to include family members and began producing products from other brands after Cadbury merged with Schweppes in 1969. This expansion included Typhoo in 1978, leading to over 4,000 employees at the peak of its success.

In 1986, Cadbury Schweppes decided to sell Typhoo, Kenco coffee, and Jeyes Fluid brands to focus on their main products. Typhoo was bought by a management team and formed a new company called Premier Brands. Shortly after, Premier Brands acquired Melrose's, the Glengettie Tea Company, Ridgways, and the Jersey Trading Corporation. In 1990, Premier Brands was acquired by Premier Foods, which was known as Hillsdown Holdings at the time. Then, in October 2005, the Indian company Apeejay Surrendra Group purchased the brands for £80 million from Premier Foods and established The Typhoo Tea Company. The manufacturing of these brands continued at Moreton on the Wirral.

Typhoo faced a tough year in 2018, with record high material costs and unfavourable currency movements leading to a £20m loss. The company responded by proposing to cut a quarter of its headquarters' posts to secure its future. By 2020, Typhoo Tea reported even higher losses, raising concerns about its ability to stay afloat. Pre-tax losses for the year ending March 2019 were £29.9m, up from £20m the previous year. The company's accounts highlighted uncertainties regarding refinancing and the impact of the coronavirus outbreak. Typhoo attributed its struggles to an overly aggressive sales growth strategy focused on expanding its own-label business.

Typhoo was bought by Zetland Capital, a British private-equity firm, in 2021. During the same year, the popular BBC documentary 'Inside The Factory' showcased the Moreton site, capturing numerous scenes of the bustling factory. At its peak, the factory churned out a staggering 14 million teabags every 24 hours, accounting for approximately a quarter of the tea consumed in Britain daily.

In March 2023, Typhoo's parent company made the unfortunate decision to shut down their factory in Moreton, resulting in the loss of 85 jobs. Only 5 positions were saved and moved to a new 'brand hub' in Birkenhead. On the 6th of July 2023, the final bag of tea rolled off the production line, marking the end of 45 years of tea production on the Wirral. Since the factory's closure, Typhoo's production has been outsourced to a third party.

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory26.jpg

[1]

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory22.jpg

[2] - A loan box of tea left to rot in the Blending Plant

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory7.jpg

[3] - Main Entrance

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory3.jpg

[4] - Conveyor belts in the Blending Plant

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory2.jpg

[5] - A computer terminal in the Blending Plant

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory4.jpg

[6] - ‘Robbie 2’ The Robot

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory1.jpg

[7] - Weighing scales in the Blending Plant

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory5.jpg

[8] - Blending Plant

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory6.jpg

[9] - Blending Plant

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory25.jpg

[10] - Blending Stores

GRONK_Typhoo_Factory9.jpg

[11] - Filling Station

Continued.......​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm X-T2, 10-24mm f4 R OIS WR (Velvia)​

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Very cool. I thought I remembered it being on the excellent Inside The Factory show, one of very few decent things to be found on the BBC nowadays.

Liverpool Urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
brilliant mate had no idea this was still here, another Saturday one of your reports is making me get off the couch ahaha

Liverpool Urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
brilliant mate had no idea this was still here, another Saturday one of your reports is making me get off the couch ahaha
We managed to get into the actual site and got caught by Secca with a dog in about 10 seconds, wide open up everywhere but looks like they’re doing patrols now. Did look quite smashed up tbf

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
We managed to get into the actual site and got caught by Secca with a dog in about 10 seconds, wide open up everywhere but looks like they’re doing patrols now. Did look quite smashed up tbf
Yeah the office section was propped totalled, but the rest of it was okay

Who has read this thread (Total: 142) View details