real time web analytics
haxey and epworth station railbex | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

haxey and epworth station railbex

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

farmer.ned

magic.clean
28DL Full Member
hi its the farmer again
another day another job and a slight detour on the way home to do one of those mooches you never seem to get round to this one being haxey and epworth station which is situated some distance
from the alleged places served and was also a joint station with the isle of axholme railway called haxey junction which the isle railway is one of those i will get around to one of these days.
the station was on the GN&GE joint line between doncaster and lincoln and closed to passengers in 1959 and completely in 1964.

the mooch
my first attempt was to gain access from the isle side of the junction but a sign telling me they had dogs running free dissuaded that idea so it was time for plan B
and access the site from the lane on the opposite side of the crossing.
a locked metal 5 bar gate presented little challenge and as i had my orange railway look alike overalls (yes it was dressing up time again) proceeded to take some pictures of the goods shed and the hut
on the doncaster side of the line a lady stopped and started talking to me about the fox cub that had been killed so i had to quickly impersonate a railway worker well in boots and orange overalls who would have known different the station buildings and platforms are long since gone and there isnt really a lot left to photograph apart from the hut the goods shed which is may i add on private propety the one with the dogs roaming free so i had to content myself to a photo from the doncaster side photos taken it was time to take my leave.
the line itself is a very busy one mostly with freightliner container trains of which 3 passed while i was there.
the reason being the line is used as a diversionary route freight trains leave the ECML at peterboro and run via lincoln and finningley to rejoin the main line at doncaster this leave the section between doncaster and peterboro free for high speed trains.
as i left the crossing went again and it surprised me that at least 2 idiot motorists decided they wouldnt wait and raced the barrier rather than wait for the train

history

Haxey and Epworth railway station served the towns of Haxey and Epworth on the Isle of Axholme, Lincolnshire, England] It closed to passengers in 1959 and completely in 1964.

From 2 January 1905, it provided an interchange with the Axholme Joint Railway, whose Haxey Junction station was immediately adjacent to it.] Although the lines were connected, movement between the stations required two reversals.[5] The interchange ceased on 1 February 1956 when the Haxey Junction to Epworth section of the Axholme Joint Railway was closed.

Haxey was also the junction for the Bawtry to Haxey railway line, which was conceived as a trunk haul route for colliery output. The line never fulfilled that expectation, and the Haxey end may only have been used for wagon storage

gallery

13.jpg

haxey then after closure
2.jpg

haxey now
1.jpg

haxey goods shed on the isle of axholme railway side
3.jpg

the hut and my old jaloppy
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

some nice shots of inside the hut
11.jpg

sadly this fox cub wasnt quite quick enough and seems to have been hit by a train dont know if it was hit and thrown clear or crawled and died later of its injuries ..R.I.P little chap..+
9.jpg

looking towards doncaster
12.jpg

looking towards the crossing and lincoln
10.jpg

this is what keeps the route open and in use a diverted freightliner train diverted off the ECML at peterboro it will rejoin the main line at doncaster
14.jpg

and to finish haxey signal box

7.jpg