real time web analytics
Report - - The Point, Milton Keynes, April 2024 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Point, Milton Keynes, April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kcajboty

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Got in, about time we did haha. Heard it was getting knocked down soon to be replaced with flats or something like that so thought might aswell go before.
Surprised it wasnt so ruined apart from the scrappers ruining the roofs. But nonetheless so thankful we got in haha.
Some of it is still being used, half of it is a charity shop now but still good most of its being used.

HISTORY:
The Point is an entertainment complex in Central Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. When it opened in 1985, it was called the UK's first multiplex cinema although the UK had introduced multi-screen cinemas in 1930 and had been increasing the number of screens in cinemas ever since. The front part of the building has a distinctive mirrored crystal ziggurat shape, framed by external steel beams at each corner, joined at the apex. Originally it had red neon lights connecting the apexes at each side, so that it looked like a pyramid at night.

In May 2012, the building's owners Hammerson announced proposals to demolish the building and replace it with a retail-based development.[On 6 March 2014, Milton Keynes Council voted to approve the application. On 26 February 2015, the Odeon cinema to the rear of the building closed, in preparation for the demolition. Historic England had refused to recommend the building for listed status.
Source: wikipedia.

Onto the photos

IMG_9170.JPEG

IMG_9171.JPEG

IMG_9172.JPEG

This is the main entranc where people would get their tickets and snacks. Sadly, scrappers got to it but still somewhat in good condition

Now for the screens:
IMG_9173.JPEG

IMG_9174.JPEG

IMG_9178.JPEG

IMG_9184.JPEG

There were 3d and 2d screens in this cinema with a total of 10 screens making it the uks first multiplex cinema. (that was the day i found out the speakers were behind the screen haha)
Most screens were exactly the same and could not tell difference wether 2d or 3d but luckily someone painted it on the wall for us

IMG_9176.JPEG

This was the hall to the screen
IMG_9181.JPEG

This is from the stop of the stairs to the bottomw where the popcorn stands were. I don't really know why this bit is here what it was used for as i thought the entrances wheere on the side. Be nice if someone knew
IMG_9187.JPEG

A full photo of the front desk
IMG_9182.JPEG

After around 20 minutes we finally found the projector room, this only had 1 projector still up there but was great to see it still as we thought they would've taken them all out

That comes to the end of my explore
Thank you for looking

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Every time I pass this I always wondered what it was like inside, now I know. Looks like I aren't missing much. Shame because I really like the design of the building.

kcajboty

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Every time I pass this I always wondered what it was like inside, now I know. Looks like I aren't missing much. Shame because I really like the design of the building.
Haha, it is a really cool buildng. Its sad its been ruined inside but nonetheless the screens were kinda cool!

Ryhsj

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
sad that people just ruined it and write rubbish on the walls, still a good explore though

screenone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow! That brings back some wonderful memories, when I started in the cinema business,the projectionist I replaced at the then Classic Banbury went to work there. Thanks for making a old projectionist happy. Very good pics