real time web analytics
Report - - 80 Newington Butts Rooftop - London Views - October 2017 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 80 Newington Butts Rooftop - London Views - October 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
I was recently asked why I hadn't done any rooftops for a while. Well, the simple answer was there weren't any that particularly inspired me. I'd been looking, but for a few shots we've all seen before they can be quite a lot of effort, especially with all the extra security measures the feet danglers are causing. I fucking hate those nice views obscured by a pair of swanky trainers randomly placed in the foreground. Fuck you LensBible for sharing every fucking one of them on Instagram.

Anyway, @SpiderMonkey and I were in the vicinity of London's current hotspot, overlooking the Strata building. Saturday night probably isn't the best time to try that one, while the Ministry of Long Queues wraps it's line of eagerly awaiting customers half way around the building site, so instead we headed over to the nearby 80 Newington Butts, to see what was going on. Easily spotting a route between the cameras and sensors, we headed up the 45 flights of stairs. The heating was on and I felt like a walking sauna by the time we got to the top.

80-newington-butts-11.jpg

Shitty phone shot showing the height.​

The building is nearing completion, so I was concerned that all the doors at the top would be locked. There's a plant room on the very top, with a door to the roof. Trying the handle confirmed my worry. It was locked. We had a brief look for any other ways out, then headed down a floor, into the apartments. All the windows and doors were in place, so we tried a few more handles. Locked. Bugger.

So, you can imagine my relief when we spotted this:

80-newington-butts-10.jpg

Bonus level unlocked!​

Heading out onto the roof, I couldn't believe the views. Full 360 degree unobstructed views of London, with all the main attractions at a nice distance away. I dare say this is the finest rooftop currently available in London. This was the one I had been looking for :D

80-newington-butts-1.jpg

180 degree panorama. Click for a really big version and zoom in! (9mb)

80-newington-butts-7.jpg

The very top has a structure to support the balconies strung down the sides. It was quite cool!

80-newington-butts-3.jpg

"The Official" London Eye

80-newington-butts-2.jpg

The Shard and all those big buildings with silly names

80-newington-butts-4.jpg

St Paul's Cathedral

80-newington-butts-5.jpg

Strata, an elephant and a castle.

80-newington-butts-9.jpg

Strata with the middle bit of London behind.

80-newington-butts-8.jpg

Looking the other way we can see Battersea Power Station.

80-newington-butts-6.jpg

Finally, a selfie in the red light district. What was I saying about obscuring the nice view? :-P At least it's not a pair of fucking trainers!​

On the way back down we heard someone making their way up the stairwell. Every sound in there echoes all the way down, so they must have heard us too. We went into one of the completed apartments to hide, locked the door and listed as whoever was out there systematically worked their way though every apartment, unlocking and opening the doors then checking inside. We headed into the room furthest from the door, then heard the door open. Luckily he didn't check our room and continued through the rest of the apartments on that floor. Shortly after we could hear footsteps on the floor above, so we went to sleep until he fucked off.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
It's a fantastic roof top this & A cracking set of pictures to complement it, was gutted when we went the weather had turned by the time we got to the top, nice to see the view at it's full potential.