real time web analytics
Report - - Alyn Brick, Tile and Terracotta Works, Coed Talon, May/July 22 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Alyn Brick, Tile and Terracotta Works, Coed Talon, May/July 22

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Finally got around to visiting here for the first time earlier in the year on an Urbex trip to North Wales. Didn't do much research prior to the explore, so I went only expecting the remains of a brickworks, I didn't realise the site has been used by various industries over it's life.

The history -

This place has been covered many times, so here's the history, yet again...

A brickworks was opened in Coed Talon by the Gem Brick, Tile, and Terracotta Works company in 1892 after the discovery of a bed of fireclay in the area. They ran the Brickworks until 1901, when the Alyn Brick Tile & Terracotta Company took over. The site carried on as a Brickworks until around 1916.

After closure of the Brickworks, the facilities on site underwent a refit to create a Silica Works by a company under the name of Colin Stewart Ltd. This made use of local hard Silica Sandstone from a quarry situated on the hill above, which was delivered to the site by means of a tramway. The stone was ground down into powder, which was sold to a company by the name of Lever Bros. The plant produced 600 tons per week, which was taken away from the site by means of a private siding from the nearby LNWR line. The waste from this process was captured in the chimney with water and piped to a nearby pond for land reclamation, as it would solidify. This operation continued until Lever Bros terminated the contract in 1959.

The final company to acquire and use the site was Clwyd Alloys, using it as a foundry for the reclamation of scrap metals. The site finally closed in 2002.

The explore -

Access is insanely easy, discovered I was needlessly squeezing through a gap in the fence on my second visit. Explored here twice, once solo, once with a couple of others.

Easy enough to navigate around the site, couple of shortcuts between sections if you don't mind battling trees, bogs and dodgy floors.
DSC07911.JPG

Some machinery has been left behind, no idea what any of it was for though, looks like it's all related to the Silica works. The place has sat pretty much forgotten, didn't see much vandalism, and not all that much Graff either, just a lot of natural decay.

It's very dark in places so a torch is definitely needed. The ground is rather boggy in around much of the site, especially near the kilns. There was a couple of bats that have taken up residence in one of the kilns too.

Not all that much to be seen really, other than a lot of rust, but made for a nice relaxing mooch to finish off the day before the long drive back home.

Rusty hoppers related to the silica works I'm guessing -
DSC07784.jpg

DSC07786.jpg

DSC07862.jpg

Machinery -
DSC07866.jpg

DSC07828.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC07875.jpg

DSC07878.jpg

The Chimney and an old tower of some sort -
DSC07849.jpg

DSC07844.jpg

Remains of the kilns -
DSC07960.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC07956.jpg

DSC07937 (1).jpg

Gauges and switches -
DSC00069.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC07923.jpg

DSC07926.jpg

DSC07920.jpg

Graff -
DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

A transformer in a passageway between kilns -
DSC07947.jpg

DSC07952 (1).jpg

Oddities -
DSC07886.jpg

DSC07864.jpg

DSC07898.jpg

DSC07842.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

DSC07784.jpg

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
well covered, for some reason I still haven't made it here, there always seems to be more important things to do when Im there