real time web analytics
Report - - Apple tree inn, Gloucester, November 2020 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Apple tree inn, Gloucester, November 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Spida

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was doing a search about the history of this place and i noticed that @Bristol-Wanderer has got a excellent report up already and that can be read here Report - - Apple tree inn - Gloucester- December 2020 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

The Apple Tree is, in parts, one of the oldest buildings in Minsterworth. Experts believe that the cruck timber structure, parts of which can be seen in the bar, is what remains of a medieval hall house dating from the late 15th century. The building has been added to a number of times over the centuries, and from what we do know of its subsequent history- it has been quite chequered.
For much of its life, it probably served as a farm building belonging to the local Lord of the manor, but by the 18th century it seems to have been a home for wayward boys. According to legend, the young offenders used to be kept in chains and guarded by warders in grey uniforms. An 1839 land survey described it as a "homestead and gardens", and by the end of the 19th century it had become known by the name 'Salcombe'. It was not until the 1900's that it seems to have become a hostelry of any kind, and well into the 1950's before it became a licensed premises. A 1935 local commercial directory listed it as the 'Appletree Café', but by 1936 it was described on maps as the 'Appletree Roadhouse'.
Its location on the main road into Wales would surely have attracted plenty of passing trade, but the two swimming pools in the paddock were themselves a big attraction for locals and travellers alike.

The explore

I was here with my lady and we had a good nose around this inn. We wasn't sure on what to expect as we got the location from watching a video.

so this is Apple tree inn

and we had a look in the barrel area

we made our way round and noticed a tiny office

and then had a look behind the bar

We then wet and had a look in the hall and i loved the beams in there

We then went upstairs and had a look in the bedrooms

There was also a self contained flat

We enjoyed our little explore around this place

Thanks for looking

Spida

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yea bud, it's a sweet place. Shame that it's been left how it is tho.

Who has read this thread (Total: 170) View details