real time web analytics
Report - - Barking Reach Power Station (September 2020) | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barking Reach Power Station (September 2020)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Sprackles

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Barking Reach Powerstation. September 2020

Here is my report about Barking reach power station.

The history.

Barking Powerstation was originally built up of 3 power stations, you had Barking power station sites A,B, and C these were all built to use coal and were all decommissioned by 1981 once the government had started to to fade out of the use of coal fired power stations in order to combat the problematic situation of global warming.

This is where Barking reach powerstation came from, in order to keep up to date with countries high demand of electricity a new power station was built further away from london and closer to dagenham, and this power station was built to run on gas. The site begun construction in 1992 and finished in 1995, and its was the first in a while to be built in london for many years. it was one of the largest independently owned generating plants in the UK, it was even capable of producing 1000MW of electricity which sounds like a lot which is it is but compared to the uk’s power demand its only about 2%. Still impressive tho.

The station used Combined cycle gas turbine technology along with gas as its primary fuel, it was owned by Barking Power LTD but was maintained and managed by Thames Power Services. By July 2014 a decision was made to close the power station within two years although it didn't start decommissioning until 2018 when the chimneys were blown up in March 2018. Amazingly the two 55 metre chimneys were brought down with only 10KG of explosives. The site is planned to be used as a huge 42 acre whole sale food market.

The explore.

Me and my friend first got a lead about this place when a manager of ours pointed it out to us as we driving along the A13, he knew we were urbexers and give us a potential new location.
Us being explorers we decided to check out this vast site, access was not easy in the slightest, a massive 12 foot palisade fence surrounded the entire site meaning that climbing over was not going to be easy, also the power station was surrounded by active sites so it was going to be very bait. I

We begun looking around the site and was amazed at how big it actually was with multiple different parts of the station all around the site, but we went straight for the turbine hall, with multiple open doors this was no problem. Straight away we went up some stairs to look at the turbines which there was 4 of and they were all vast and impressive, to see a turbine completely intact was cool. Unfortunately it was extremely dark in this power station making it hard to take pictures.

After looking around the turbine hall we wanted to try and find the control room, this proved more tricky than expected, after a few left and rights through some corridors we finally had found the control room. We were amazed by the amount of stuff that had been left behind to rot, there was minimal decay which was only the food left in the kitchen ;)The control room was really cool to see the controls that would have once maintained the power station and provided this London borough with electricity. There was multiple offices in the control room and one room even had an apple mac computer left behind, along with COSHH gear and gas mask for the workers!

After probably spending around 3 hours in the control just looking around at all of the old documentation and engineering drawings we decided to get some fresh air and headed to the roof of the building, this was a fairly hard task to do as we went through a labyrinth of corridors filled with electrical cable and control panels but alas we found a stairwell that took us to the roof. The roof was a little bit too obvious to hang around on and take pictures due to neighbouring sites.

We had another look around the turbine hall but this time we was on the upper levels of the walkways these were quite nerve racking as you could see straight through the walkway and down to floor which was about a 40 ft drop so we made sure to tread carefully. The overhead cranes for each turbine were very impressive, unfortunately there was no way to turn on any lights to get some good shots but there was something else…

We had begun to start seeing most of the site apart from a spooky dim light at the far end of the turbine hall which we decided to explore last incase it activated some sort of alarm but as we walked closer to the light it became clear we was safe, this aloud me to get some better shots, strangely at some point the light turned off as we walked past and then the opposite end lit up?This confused as and we decided it was time to leave.
With most of the site explored apart from the flooded basement we decided to leave and made our way back to the entrance of the hall, on the way back we saw some creepy but amazing paintings of what appeared to be Jesus and religious followers on the back of some machinery. After this we made our way out and the explore was somewhat completed, there was still a few outer buildings to check out but we thought we would save these for another time. :)

Here are the pictures that I gathered from the explore.

1. Old cooling towers
IMG_4072.jpeg

2. Outer Pumping Station
IMG_4081.jpeg

3. Inside Pumping Station
IMG_4082.jpeg

4. Exterior photo of Turbine Hall
IMG_4086.jpeg

5. Turbine no. 1D (4)

IMG_4103.jpeg

6. Interior of turbine (main body)
IMG_4105.jpeg

IMG_4106.jpeg

7. Interior of turbine (back end or exhaust)
IMG_4306.jpeg
IMG_4305.jpeg

8. Front end interior of turbine. Fun fact the cement/plaster looking stuff is actually an asbestos cement based material and is used to contain the heat. :)
IMG_4111.jpeg

9. Turbine door. If you are inside the turbine with this door closed it is nearly sound proof.
IMG_4109.jpeg

10. Cable supply labyrinth
IMG_4100.jpeg
IMG_4101.jpeg

11. Electrical or control panels
IMG_4122.jpeg
IMG_4123.jpeg

11. Control Room
IMG_4293.jpeg

12. Control room operators desk/board.
IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4141.jpeg

13. Head boss office
IMG_4147.jpeg

14. Conference room or meeting room
IMG_4145.jpeg

15. Site photos of chimney construction and complete turbine.
IMG_4152.jpeg

17. Reception area
IMG_4277.jpeg

18. Engineering Drawings
IMG_4316.jpeg

19. Massive transformer

IMG_4319.jpeg

20. The spooky light...

IMG_4301.jpeg

21. Religious paintings on back of machinery

IMG_4323.jpeg

22. Photo of outside from turbine hall

IMG_4112.jpeg

23. Control room Safe

IMG_4164.jpeg

24. Turbine platform

IMG_4153.jpeg

25. Another impressive religious painting

IMG_4326.jpeg

Apologies as I had to many photos so I had to decide which were the best to use :)

Hope you enjoyed my report and photos and I would love to hear your feedback :)

Take care and happy explores :)

Sprackles

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I saw a thing about demolition being given the go ahead here not so long back, wondered if anyone would make it in.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah dude, gutted I never jumped at ya invite for this now. Banging report, about time you get some others out :))

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Interesting to see they have just left it to fester.

A couple of people did it when the lights were still on but had a few police issues :gay

Sprackles

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting to see they have just left it to fester.

A couple of people did it when the lights were still on but had a few police issues :gay
Yeah mate it wasn't long after my first visit when they started to rip down the turbine hall

Who has read this thread (Total: 159) View details