real time web analytics
Report - - Bell-End, Manchester - August 2015. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bell-End, Manchester - August 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Bell-End, Manchester.

Essentially 2 culverted watercourses and a combined sewer overflow located in Droylsden

This one had been on the to-do list a few years now
Two small streams, which probably had their origins on Ashton Moss, originally flowed down two cloughs, Pinch Clough and Lumb Clough, joining together in Bell Clough, and thence into the Medlock

These streams were culverted where they passed under the canal at the time it was built, after that point they reverted to nature, and both cloughs were in an uncultivated state

A 2.2m brick egg outfalls onto the edge of Bell Clough

1.jpg

After a comedy attempt at accessing the outfall and narrowly avoiding a right soaking I decided we'd go in search of manholes instead

Turned out to be a right bag of fail, as we beat about the bush looking for lids

2.jpg

Eventually I spotted the first manhole submerged within another stream after Nick almost getting stuck in some bog

3.jpg

One thing was certain this wasn't going to be our way in :rolleyes:

We piss-balled about for another hour looking for lids, ripped by brambles and stung by nettles we gave it up as light began to fade

Our only option now was to head back to the outfall and traverse around the collapsing brick structure without ending up in the drink...

(It's pretty deep)

4.jpg

The surface water culvert heads upstream for around 50m through a distorted 2m egg as the earths pressure and boggy land above has taken it's toll over the years

5a.jpg

As shown earlier ^^ the stream above ground cascades down the first manhole shaft, as the lid complete with frame has somehow managed to drop through and wash up around 100 yards downstream

The frame is bigger than the aperture for the manhole, so we figured Murphy had lobbed it down before installing the biscuit thus avoiding cementing it in place, in favour of the boozer one Friday afternoon

(There really is no other explanation) :D

6.jpg

And a close up of the manhole taken by Nick :thumb

8.jpg

Beyond the shaft, brick quickly turns to concrete and the watercourse now runs through a 4.5ft RCP

7.jpg

Those famous last words of "No more stooping" came back to haunt me as Nick pissed about grabbing a few shots..

We decided to plod on, muggins here went first with the meter and scraped the ceiling clear of spiders and cobwebs for the next 80m

Thankfully another manhole presented itself, so at least I could stretch the old spine whilst waiting for Nick to play catch up

The triangle shaped lid above was seized solid with probably 2 decades worth of rust, on the left a disused side pipe for what looked to be a surface water drain

Having shone my torch up, it appeared to have collapsed around 5ft further in

9.jpg

After spending a few minutes grabbing a couple of pics, we spent the next 10 mins debating whether to carry on

The only thing keeping me motivated was the sound of water tumbling somewhere upstream, so I volunteered to head up and see if it was worth the effort

60m of further stooping I arrived at a small junction

On the left, a small watercourse drops in from above, stifled by familiar debris that often results in natural backfill at these ill-maintained infalls..

I shouted down to Nick to head on up as it was worth a couple of pics for our efforts

10.jpg

We were now somewhere beneath Lumb Clough

Ahead, the pipe shrunk to just under 4ft, the prospect of carrying on appeared grim but I was curious despite having an idea where this was heading

The upstream section of RCP also serves as an overflow from a screened CSO that was installed circa 2008 a good 300m from this point

I left Nick at the junction as it shrinks again, and again to way below 4ft

100m later I declared bollocks to this!.. bent double, and pouring with sweat in a stinky shit pipe a tad over 3ft isn't my idea of fun on a school night

11.jpg

Time to GTFO and head out for some cans

Getting out was just as much a faff as Nick nearly had my eye out as he swung a scaff pole in order to aid our traverse across the lagoon of unknown depth beyond the outfall​

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shame the brick doesn't last for long, the overflow itself is miles away so stopping was the right choice. There's a nice old culvert not far upstream from that clogged infall.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah the other culvert looks to be more stoopy than this if its what I think it is

No more stooping :p

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
And who said the was sod all in Droylsden? (@The Lone Ranger) To be fair there's not much else. :D An enjoyable evening arsing about as usual. :thumb Sorry about nearly whacking you with the scaff, I'm glad it was there though. ;)

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I thought this one looked familiar!
Remember visiting this a few years ago and finding that manhole shaft with the water pouring down it. Didn't bother to go any further up the tunnel after the brick turned to RCP beyond the shaft.