real time web analytics
Report - - Broom Green Primitive Methodist Chapel, Norfolk - July 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Broom Green Primitive Methodist Chapel, Norfolk - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
A small but lovely little chapel that is reasonably local to me. I first visited a couple of years ago and have since been back to get some shots with the camera.

Information & History
The chapel is situated in Broom Green which is a small village just south of Guist in Norfolk. It was constructed when the village congregation were told they could no longer meet in a particular house, therefore they wanted to build a purpose-built structure. They set up a fund and the chapel was then constructed after 1886 at a cost of £148. The chapel consisted of a basic brick build with a pantile roof, in addition to a small porch and a couple of tiny rooms out the back. The main worship room seated up to 70 people. The chapel had a choir and a Sunday School and hosted many different events, particularly around Christmas time.

Broom Green Chapel closed at some point before 1970 due to dwindling attendance numbers but still had a couple of services every Sunday. Since its closure the building has sat derelict and nature has really taken it over, but it does seem to get cleared out every few years or so. Pretty much all internal features are long gone with the exception of the writing on the wall which reads the motto: ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved’.

As you'd expect the explore for this one was very relaxed, with parking nearby. There are also a couple of other little goodies nearby including the old Guist Cricket Pavillion which I have posted before, and the Lime Kiln down the road. In fact, you could make a day out of visiting this area being close to the RAF bases aswell.

Onto the photos starting with externals:

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8442.jpg

Heading on 'inside' (note the quotation marks, the roof has completely gone so is fully exposed to the elements!)

IMG_8458.jpg

IMG_8475.jpg

IMG_8497.jpg

The writing on the wall was lined in black but has since faded to a dull red shade:

IMG_8461.jpg

Below this, there was a small wooden pulpit which is now long gone. Below is a photo of this wall with the wooden pulpit intact, taken in the late eighties. Source.

broom.JPG

Concluding with a couple of the small empty rooms to the rear of the building, in addition to the porch:

IMG_8431.jpg

IMG_8451.jpg

IMG_8487.jpg

IMG_8491.jpg

Not a huge deal of stuff to see - but a nice little one nevertheless! Thanks for looking.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I can't see this thread lasting tbh, yes I have approved it, but in all fairness it's cack, no offence intended like.

We've spent the past few months binningmoving residentials and now on with pruning 'other' forum and have been fairly strict as well. I guess this is one example of what we no longer come to accept in here.

That said you've posted some decent stuff on here of late so please don't take this personal.

Remember what I said ages ago, everything's worth exploring, just not everything is worth posting :thumb

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I can't see this thread lasting tbh, yes I have approved it, but in all fairness it's cack, no offence intended like.

We've spent the past few months binningmoving residentials and now on with pruning 'other' forum and have been fairly strict as well. I guess this is one example of what we no longer come to accept in here.

That said you've posted some decent stuff on here of late so please don't take this personal.

Remember what I said ages ago, everything's worth exploring, just not everything is worth posting :thumb
No offence taken mate and will take note for the future, I assumed the rule applied for mainly soggy houses, farms and trashed care homes etc, and thought religious stuff would pass, but I've definitely noted for the future. Feel free to delete this if required to keep this section of good quality, and I'll bang something a bit more interesting up over the next couple of days! Cheers.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I'll let the pruners decide as we work through. In the meantime keep up the cracking contribution, it has been noted ;)

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I like it, it has a photographic charm even if its not a great explore.
Yeah it's one of those places that are surprisingly nice although fairly dilapidated.
Nicely done mate. I really liked the mural. It's quite a historic chapel, even if collapsed.
Thank you mate, yeah surprisingly quite a bit of history on the place.

Well I like it! Love stumbling across little places like this, even if it might not be one for the forum.
Thanks, they do pop up in random rural locations don't they!