real time web analytics
Report - - Cliffe Park Hall -rudyard - 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cliffe Park Hall -rudyard - 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Cliffe House

53136587087_ecea6b2deb_c.jpg

Another old one which has been done to death but still has its appeal. a solo visit here while staying in Buxton some years back.
With a location to die for you would think this would be restored, but I did meet some old boy on exiting who claims to know the present owners & said the renovation costs of 7m (back in 18) means they have no intention of ever doing anything with it.
Its a shame as the roof has been redone so it was remaining pretty dry & structurally sound, be interested to know if this is still the case.

53137591265_ac554b6718_c.jpg

53137185696_0a2cdb383d_c.jpg

History has been covered plenty but here it is again if you wish to read.

Cliffe Park Hall was built on the side of the lake was built by John Haworth in 1811 at a cost of £25,000.
John Haworth, the son of wealthy merchants, died in 1831 and left the Cliffe Park estate to his cousin (and lover) Fanny Bostock.

Fanny, was born in Horton in June 1796 (the year before the act of parliament was passed to construct the Dam). She lived most of her life at Cliffe Park Hall.
For 50 years after the Dam was built, Rudyard Lake was a peaceful place with only private landowners allowed access to the shoreline and lake itself.
1849 marked the opening of the North Staffordshire Railway “Churnet Valley Branch” and from 1851-1856, Fanny fought a five year long court action against the North Staffordshire Railway to try and prevent their popularisation of the lake and reduce the influx of visitors by rail that they encouraged.
She ultimately secured a permanent injunction which prevented the N.S.R from using the lake for commercial activities.
Fanny later died a spinster on 19th March, 1875 whereupon the Cliffe Park estate was split up.

53136585347_6d8c4fd104_c.jpg

53137657653_2750f0ef81_c.jpg

In 1903, the NSR acquired the Cliffe Park estate with the intention of constructing a golf course on the land between the hall and the lake. A year later they secured an act of parliament to allow commercial activities on the lake.
After overturning the Bostock act of 1856, the NSR were now empowered to rent out motor launches and rowing boats, and by 1905 a golf course had been laid out.
Their intent was to demolish the hall and build a new club house, however the money for this was not forthcoming and it was decided to use the hall itself as the clubhouse, with only changing rooms and locker rooms being added to the existing building.
A new railway station, ‘Rudyard Lake Station’ (later renamed to ‘Cliffe Park Halt’) was built at the north end of the lake to serve the course.
The golf course, enlarged from nine holes to eighteen in 1908, closed in 1926 which was probably due to the general post-war conditions and reduced train services, together with the availability of newer golf courses that were more easily accessible from the local towns.

53137659318_8efbab5a8d_c.jpg

Cliffe Park Hall was then let privately until 1933 when its then current owners, London Midland and Scottish Railway (NSR’s successors) leased it to the Youth Hostels Association, and it became known as Rudyard Lake Hostel.
The Hostel opened it’s doors on the 1st June, 1933. Rudyard Lake Hostel proved to be one of the YHA’s more popular venues.
After the second world war the hostel was in dire need of renovation. The new owners, British Rail, were unwilling to do that without significantly increasing the rent so the YHA began negotiations to take it over. They finally succeeded in September 1955 and promptly started work.
It wasn’t until 6th July 1958 that the hostel was re-opened with great fanfare by the Lord Mayor of Manchester, the re-opening coinciding with the hostel’s silver jubilee. It continued as a Youth Hostel until 1969 when it was sold to Brian Dalley who lived there until his death in 2015.
Shortly before his death Mr Dalley was the victim of an aggravated burglary at the hall, during which he was tied up for several hours and beaten.

the hall still shows much evidence of the youth hostel

[
53137658088_879c8c47ce_c.jpg

53136585577_f56589b1a3_c.jpg

53137658073_29fb8889df_c.jpg

Following Mr. Dalley’s death the hall has been sold again and remains in a decaying state.

As with most grand halls its all about the stairs

53136586427_76eec9ab2c_c.jpg

53137185466_3a09f5e176_c.jpg

53137185331_185d80feec_c.jpg

Oh look a ladder!

53137590645_bc94477ef8_c.jpg

Be rude not to

53137184771_be6a7162a9_c.jpg

53137590290_9da2ef7b47_c.jpg

53137590405_c51facd637_c.jpg

53137591120_9bb127ca6e_c.jpg

53137186081_01d58aef5c_c.jpg

Thats about all to see from here

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
This is a lovely place. It will be such a shame if the owners dont either re sell or reno this. It does need saving imo

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
From the depths of that backlogue of yours! That's a great take on this lovely place. Still not done it myself.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
My report on it back in 2017/18 seems to have disappeared or at least I can't find it (unless I posted in Non public at the time which I've lost access to).
I went back again in August 2018 and it had mostly been boarded up with only a couple more bits to finish.
The original access was still doable at that time.

I believe the boarding was in retaliation to the lead being stolen from the roof the werk previously so I can only presume it's in a bit of a state now.

Part of the fun when I first went was turning the alarms on sticks things round to face the walls.

Last edited:

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
From the depths of that backlogue of yours! That's a great take on this lovely place. Still not done it myself.
Lovely place but not sure if it's sealed now.

Beautiful building! Has anyone been there recently, can you still get inside it?
As above only way to find out is go have a look.
My report on it back in 2017/18 seems to have disappeared or at least I can't find it (unless I posted in Non public at the time which I've lost access to).
I went back again in August 2018 and it had mostly been boarded up with only a couple more bits to finish.
The original access was still doable at that time.

I believe the boarding was in retaliation to the lead being stolen from the roof the werk previously so I can only presume it's in a bit of a state now.

Part of the fun when I first went was turning the alarms on sticks things round to face the walls.
Prob in residential section?

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Prob in residential section?

Ah the removed/culled section? Possibly.
I went through all my posts last night and it seems ive lost quite a few reports but as I normally do commercial explores I just presume theyve all dissapeared in the revamp, ive been away for a couple of years.
Pretty sure I would have put it in there as it is really a residential, the other reports on it seem to have survived though.
Slightly disappointing as I've had my hardrives damaged in a house move and they just sit there clicking now and won't load up so I've lost all my explores, ones posted and ones I've been saving up to be posted.

Either way I would be interested if its still boarded up or free again. I'm now living down south so will never get back to see it personally.
Second time I went they had pulled some of the downstairs floors up revealing shallow crawl spaces but I didn't see anything hidden down there.