real time web analytics
Report - - Corporation Public Swimming Baths, Crewe - March 2023 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Corporation Public Swimming Baths, Crewe - March 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User

The Visit
Visited with @stranton whilst @coolboyslim vanished to find breakfast, this place is one that I hold close to my hears as it was in this very pool that I learnt to swim as a child. Since its closure in 2016 the buildit has deteriorated at a rapid rate, plagued with the local youth and Copper fairies leaving it in a very sorry state. There is some good news for the pool though, there are currently plans for a local church to convert the space into a community centre which will hopeful secure it a future. considering I only live a 10 minute walk away this one has been on my list to revisit for a while, since my last visit there have been efforts to better secure the site but given the level of vandalism these precautions came too little to late.

The History
The Crewe Corporation Public Swimming Baths opened on Saturday 6th November 1937 by the then Mayor of Crewe Frank Bott, M.B.E. The baths was constructed to replace the recently closed baths located on Mill Street which were owned by the London Midland and Scottish Railway Company. The bath hall contains two swimming pools, these were the learners’ bath which was located at the east end of the hall. And to the west was the main bath with a maximum depth of 9 ft that was designed to be used as a diving pit. The bath hall is also home to a stunning art deco roof that is constructed from a mixture of last concrete and sky lights, also overlooking the main pool is a viewing gallery that can be accessed from two staircases located in the main foyer of the building.

The main contractor for the construction of the baths was Messrs. F. Taylor and Co., Ltd., of Littleborough, who had been employed by the then Crewe Municipal Corporation. The building was constructed near to the bank of the River Waldron (known locally as the Valley Brook) and is split over several different floors. Due to the nature of the terrain the south side of the building has its basement wall exposed, where as on the north side of the building it is completely underground.

The swimming baths closed in March 2016 with the new Crewe Lifestyle Centre opening on 1st April. Following the closure of Flag Lane the building was subject to multiple break-ins and vandalism which has inevitably lead to the deterioration of the site. A local church has recently been fundraising for an ambitious project to convert the building into a community centre but as of early 2023 no work has been done at the property.

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths1.jpg

[1]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths2.jpg

[2]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths4.jpg

[3]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths3.jpg

[4]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths6.jpg

[5]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths5.jpg

[6]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths7.jpg

[7]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths9.jpg

[8]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths8.jpg

[9]

GRONK_Flag_Lane_Baths10.jpg

[10]​

Cheers for looking :thumb

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Yeah they had a few skips on the carpark about a month ago, they seem to have had a bit of a clean up in places.

Who has read this thread (Total: 252) View details