real time web analytics
Report - - Croydon Clocktower, Croydon, Greater London. April 2013. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Croydon Clocktower, Croydon, Greater London. April 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

leanrascal

social constructionist
28DL Full Member
This is part two of a two-part explore.

Place: Croydon Clocktower
Completion date: 1895
Done with: One Flew East

This was definitely the jewel of that night’s explore, though I couldn’t find any previous report for that one either. Beautiful building, currently under renovation and therefore mostly hidden from view by scaffoldings covered on all sides by 170 g/m2 white protective reinforced polyethylene scaffold sheeting. With approximately 70% light transmission, you can still see where you’re going, but offers ideal cover for…

Anyway, let’s have a look at the pictures:

P1140453.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – From whence we came, part 1.

P1140442.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – Mmm, you’re looking good, baby.

P1140458.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – Yep, this is MY kind of climbing frame.

P1140449.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – Getting closer.

P1140467.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – I love contrasts.

P1140402.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – What’s the time?

If you’re so inclined, you can also see this same clock face but with the minute hand moving, for 90 seconds, if you really have nothing better to do or are trying to fall asleep. Go here: Croydon Clocktower, west clock face with minute hand moving - YouTube

The jewel of this specific explore was reaching the clockwork inside the clocktower itself, behind the clock faces. A wonderful discovery.

P1140408.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – The clockwork.

P1140430.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – Close up of the clockwork. You can also see a W (for West) written in the dust of the clock face.
The other three clock faces were similarly inscribed, with N, E and S.

And the funniest moment was when we reached the bells. I tapped my fingers lightly on a couple of them, making a soothing gentle chiming noise. A minute later One Flew East had a go and made one big loud bell sound. I froze. I told him straight, that was a bit loud. Unless it’s actually exactly 1am I said smiling. I looked at my watch. It was 1am. Precisely.

P1140388.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – The bells.

P1140356.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – View from the top, looking down onto Katherine Street.

P1140340.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – From whence we came, part 2.

P1140362.jpg

Croydon Clocktower – The ghost of the Croydon clocktower spire.

Thanks again to One Flew East for making this another wonderful, exhilarating and fulfilling urban exploration night.

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details