real time web analytics
Report - - Delphi Diesel Systems/Lucas CAV, Sudbury, Suffolk - August 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Delphi Diesel Systems/Lucas CAV, Sudbury, Suffolk - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Me and @Wastelandr were keen to meet up for the first time as we have spoken quite a bit and we are both not a million miles away from each other, Wastelandr suggested taking a look at this factory which has been posted previously on here by Speed, he mentioned a factory in Sudbury and I looked at my map and realised the same one was already on my radar as I came across it a while back on satellite imagery, so last weekend we met up to give it a go and we were keen to get it ticked off.

Information & History
Lucas CAV’s presence in the Suffolk town of Sudbury started out as The CAV Engineering Company at the tail end of World War II in 1944. The CAV name is derived from the initials of the founder, Charles Anthony Vandervell. Vandervell started out by making electric storage batteries in London in the late 19th Century. Originally, the company based its main operations in Acton, West London but Sudbury was picked as another site to move some of its operations away from the big smoke during the war to ensure the company could still operate if something catastrophic happened to the London site. CAV also had a presence in many other locations across the UK including Birmingham, Gloucester, Rochester, and Burnley amongst others. The company took out a lease of New Hall located in New Street, in the heart of the town centre to start with. This building was formerly an old Victorian silk factory. Later, the company outgrew this site and moved to Cornard Road and later to the site featured in this report which is sometimes referred to as Chilton Works, this move occurred in the 1960s. Thanks to the sheer scale of the site in Sudbury, it was renowned as one of the town’s largest employers and also offered a range of apprenticeships and training schemes to get unskilled workers on board at the company.

The factory under construction in the early 1960s:

Factory Construction.jpg

An old job advertisement for the CAV factory on a local bus service:

Bus Advertisement.jpg

CAV manufactured diesel injectors, turbochargers, nozzles, and filters for diesel engines, with a particular focus on larger truck engines for automotive firms such as Volvo & DAF. At its peak, the company was the largest manufacturer of fuel injection equipment in the world.

There is also a Social Club on site most recently known as the Delphi Centre. This was formerly called The CAV Sports & Social Club and had two bars, a dancefloor & stage in addition to some other features such as snooker tables at one point. Many events were hosted here including employee reunions. It also has an interesting modernist design which is very 60s and features a terrace and lots of large glass windows.

The 22-acre plant closed in July 2020 following a decline in the demand for diesel vehicles. Some of the operations moved to Romania and the company faced criticism as it is thought the main reason for this change was to reduce labour costs. The company began winding down its Sudbury operations back in 2015 where it cut 176 local jobs in favour of its Eastern European operations. The 2020 closure was announced three years prior to closure, in 2017.

Around 520 jobs were lost at the time of closure. In its final two weeks of operating, just one Injector tester machine was in use with less than 20 employees on site. Just before the site closed, it appeared on the market for a guide price of £5m, it was then purchased by Future Properties Industrial Ltd.

The Explore
We parked up in the area and started to have a look around the perimeter, it looked pretty secure on street view and we thought a fence climb would be necessary, but luckily that was not the case. We noticed there were a few fresh boards but thankfully there was a slightly less obvious way in which we were pleased with. We ended up spending a total of eight hours in the main factory and social club setting up shots, looking around and having a chat as we went around. This site is probably in my top 3 (or top 5 at least) best places I have visited due to the sheer scale of the main factory floor and the lovely boiler house and underground parts with the pumps, tanks and pipework etc. I really did not expect it to be this good.

Anyway enough waffle! Onto the photos starting with the externals of the main factory building:

The front end of the building features the main entrance and some of the offices:

External 1.jpg

This is what the site entrance looked like years ago. This photo was taken from an old employee brochure. Not much has changed:

Old Pic of Factory.jpg

Cool streetlamps, with the smoking shelters on the right:

External 2.jpg

External 3.jpg

I struggled to get a shot of the entire building in from the ground, but I did manage to just about fit it all in (without using my wider lens) from the roof of the social club:

External 4.jpg

After gaining access to the building, we started off at the main factory floor. I’m surprised with how much I liked this, it is a shame it was stripped but the colours and lighting are lovely. I don’t think I have been in a ‘room’ of this size before, a few sites I have been to definitely come close but are still smaller compared to this.

Main 1.jpg

Main 2.jpg

Main 3.jpg

Main 4.jpg

The ceiling is quite interesting. It has turned into a yellow/orangeish colour over the years from oil residue from the various machines. The floor is also extremely sticky so a lot of this residue had dripped off the ceiling. These details really highlight the heavy industry we are working with here.

Main 5.jpg

There are also several pre-fab style structures around the shop floor which were used for a variety of different operations. One of them reads ‘Truck Assembly & Test’ above the entrance:

Main 6.jpg

Main 7.jpg

Main 8.jpg

Main 9.1.jpg

There’s also a large extractor system in place for all the nasties the machinery would have chucked out.

Main 9.jpg

Main 10.jpg

Main 11.jpg

Main 12.jpg

Main 13.jpg

A few from the other side of the main floor:

Main 14.jpg

Main 15.jpg

A large warehouse room. Perhaps this would have been used for storing finished products ready for loading onto trucks, but there is also another large storage-style building separate from the main building so I’m not 100% sure:

Warehouse 1.jpg

Upstairs is a vast but stripped area which was used for the manufacture of Filters. Filters are an important part of a vehicle as they prevent damage to engines by filtering out dirt and particles when the fuel reaches the injectors.

Filters 1.jpg

Filters 2.jpg

Filters 3.jpg

Filters 4.jpg

There is also a nice old elevator in here with those zig-zag doors. I love these:

Filters 5.jpg

CONTINUED...

Last edited by a moderator:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Next up are the labs that overlook the main shop floor. Apologies these pics are a little dark - I somehow managed to break my tripod during the explore and my torch was dead, I should have really come more prepared!

Labs 1.jpg

Labs 2.jpg

Labs 3.jpg

We came across a lovely old locker room with mesh-style doors. I do have a sweet spot for old locker rooms at factories etc so this was nice to see and a bit different from the usual run-of-the-mill basic metal locker doors:

Lockers 1.jpg

The main reception and foyer are located near to the front of the site. This consists of a small reception area and a lovely staircase that leads up to the main offices:

Office 1.jpg

Office 2.jpg

The majority of office staff were situated in a large open-plan room. There are a couple of other rooms including a nice meeting space which was locked at the time.

Office 3.jpg

A larger Manager/Directors office:

Office 4.jpg

There’s a nice old walk-in safe at one end of the office:

Office 5.jpg

A large classroom-like room with a projector screen at the front, I presume this room was used for training apprentices or perhaps for larger meetings:

Office 6.jpg

Next up is the beautiful boiler house. Wastelandr will laugh as he knows I got extremely excited as we walked through the door, this room was absolutely top-tier for me, and it was made even more exciting as I hadn’t seen any photos of it prior to visiting so it was such a great surprise.

The boiler house consists of three large Lamont boilers in addition to six compressors along with a few other bits and bobs. Interestingly, there was also a brand new pallet-packed pump stored in here which had never been used.

Boiler 1.jpg

Boiler 2.jpg

Boiler 3.jpg

Up top, above the boilers:

Boiler 5.jpg

Here’s a side view of the first boiler you come across, note the brand-new pump on the right:

Boiler 6.jpg

Boiler 7.jpg

There was a nice sign on each of the boilers. These are run by a centrifugal pump inside which pumps water within the boiler system, delivering it to one or more distribution headers depending on the specification of the Lamont boiler units.

Boiler 8.jpg

And the large yellow compressors. The red object hanging on the ceiling is a neon sign which I thought was pretty unique:

Boiler 9.1.jpg

A few shots with the prime lens in here:

Boiler 9.jpg

Boiler 10.jpg

Boiler 11.jpg

Boiler 12.jpg

Boiler 13.jpg

On the exterior of the boiler house, there are multiple extraction units and a few electrical structures. There are also six tanks which I assume are to do with the boiler house but I’m not 100% sure on the purpose of these. Three of them have a slightly different design and look newer than the others.

Boiler External 1.jpg

Boiler External 2.jpg

Near the boiler house was a backup generator room featuring two generators, one manufactured by Rudox and the other being a John Deere unit. Strange how they are both different makes, I assume this is because one was added at a later date but I don’t know for sure:

Gen 1.jpg

Gen 2.jpg

CONTINUED...

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This staircase leads underground:

Underground 1.1.jpg

It must’ve been pretty loud down there, we came across an old ear plug dispenser on the wall:

Underground 1.2.jpg

The underground section of the site is impressive and contains some interesting stuff. It is quite a large space and contains various pipework, pumps, and big water tanks:

Underground 1.jpg

Underground 2.jpg

Underground 3.jpg

Underground 4.jpg

Underground 5.jpg

Underground 6.jpg

Underground 7.jpg

A few miscellaneous shots from the site for completeness. I like the room with the floor and wall tiles and the room gave off a nice light:

Misc 1.jpg

Misc 2.jpg

Misc 3.jpg

Misc 4.jpg

A quick one on the roof before moving onto the social club, there isn’t a huge amount to see up here but there are two large sections containing some more ventilation equipment amongst some other gubbins.

Roof 1.jpg

The site's social club is a separate building on the site and has a very different vibe. The club opened in September 1965 as The CAV Sports & Social Club later becoming The Delphi Centre.

Social 1.jpg

Social 3.jpg

The entrance room with the nice staircase, it was good to see that some furniture, etc remain in here and is not as stripped as the main factory building:

Social 4.jpg

There’s a lovely old pub room on site as well, the lighting was difficult to get a good shot though:

Social 5.jpg

The upstairs bar area, along with the main dance and entertainment hall:

Social 8.jpg

Social 10.jpg

Social 7.jpg

Social 9.jpg

And that’s pretty much the lot, I did take a lot more photos but I feel that the report shows all of the main parts of the site. It will be interesting to see how long the place remains standing and whether the plans for housing materialise. All in all, an excellent day out. Thanks for looking.

Social 6.jpg

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Wow that's absolutely awesome, nicely reported and great photos! Love a massive sprawling site like this, not too many about.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice mate, photos are spot on. Glad I got to see it with Jake. The metal faries have done a good job with the wiring. Nice it's stayed under the radar which is surprising. Just not with the kids, six come in and started smashing the offices up.

Seffy

Staff member
This looks great! And seriously well covered from all angles - what an effort.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers!

Wow that's absolutely awesome, nicely reported and great photos! Love a massive sprawling site like this, not too many about.
Thank you, yeah they are getting few and far between now so it was nice to have a local ish one to enjoy.

Looking good. Really surprised it hasn't been raped by pikeys (and explorers) by now.
Cheers mate, yeah I am surprised too. Wastelandr did show me a few bits of your report and it looked noticeably cleaner in yours. The little computer room in the boiler house has been ransacked, all papers and documents everywhere etc. But it was still a pretty clean place!

Really nice mate, photos are spot on. Glad I got to see it with Jake. The metal faries have done a good job with the wiring. Nice it's stayed under the radar which is surprising. Just not with the kids, six come in and started smashing the offices up.
Cheers mate, its a real gem isn't it. Yeah we had a couple come in when we were there aswell unfortunately. They broke in as couldn't find the other way in haha.

This looks great! And seriously well covered from all angles - what an effort.
Cheers Seffy, it did take me a fair bit of time to construct but I really enjoyed doing this one!

Very nice, good report!
Cheers!

Great report, very well covered. Love it
Cheers mate

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers mate it's a real gem isn't it. Yeah we had a couple come in when we were there aswell unfortunately. They broke in as couldn't find the other way in haha
Yeah I really liked it. Sadly between yours and ours visit the kids had thrown some paint on the floor in the social club and smashed lots of mugs and glass about the place.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I really liked it. Sadly between yours and ours visit the kids had thrown some paint on the floor in the social club and smashed lots of mugs and glass about the place.
That's a real shame. I suppose it is inevitable really, especially as they are bored during the holidays.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Was good to meet you mate, can't believe how long we spent there. It was a pretty memorable explore, not only because I'd finally encountered an explorer who takes as long if not longer with their shots that me :rofl. Jokes aside superbly shot, whilst we got a few similar angles you've also captured some other nice ones I didn't think of. Report wise it's a cracker, I know a lot of work went into it and it definitely makes for a nice update from Speed's original report which gave an insider's perspective. Also liked the original photo of the exterior which was a good find.

As Speed said, it's a surprise this place has stayed off the radar to the masses so far despite it being surprisingly easy. I can see it becoming a popular one in future. It does make you wonder if social media really does speed up the process of places going downhill fast, it seems like the local kids have clocked on but nobody else. Felt a bit like going back 10 years when huge places would just sit abandoned for a while without being sensationalised so much.

As for the boiler room, it is top notch with bits from different eras sitting as though people had just walked out. Those glass tube things are still a source of intrigue, does anyone know what they are?

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
The glass tubes are just level gauges for checking the water level.

Last edited by a moderator: