real time web analytics
Report - - Elizabeth Shaw Chocolate Factory, Bristol - Nov 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elizabeth Shaw Chocolate Factory, Bristol - Nov 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Hands up who likes Chocolate? Actually I don't.. but anyway what's cooler than a derelict chocolate factory that still has that whiff of coco in many parts of it?

Elizabeth Shaw was the final name for the factory located in the Greenbank part of Bristol. It had had many names over the years and chances are if you are of a certain age you'll have eaten many a sweet snack that originated from this place. The factory closed in 2006 and Rookinella/Sinnerman smashed out an epic repot/visit in 2007 which even got picked up in the local paper (when papers and UE wasn't really a thing). It was still fully loaded with production line machines as if it was ready to work the following day. After that it security stepped up but rather sketchy security at that as the place was absolutely raped of every last bit of copper/metal. Basically if there was any value it was weighed in. It was by accident that we rocked up here this day, can't say I knew much about it. A good little explore, felt much like a woolen mill in places. It was sporadically used by BBC Casualty for several episodes (before filming fucked off to Cardiff) - they used to portray it as the metal health unit. Naturally one episode someone fell through the floor to their near death below, you could still see evidence of the room/area they used when we went. Visited with Scotty and his non 28DL mate.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9589.jpg
    IMG_9589.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9607.jpg
    IMG_9607.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Nice bud, those ornate walkways between the building remind me on the conditioning house in Bradford.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Corr that's a blast from the past. This was one place I tried a few times but something always went wrong or otherwise foiled our attempts annoyingly. I believe its still there though but ruined and an empty shell.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
That shot of the windows and their reflections is superb. Nice metal work on stair case too. Thanks for posting your back catalogues.:thumb

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
That shot of the windows and their reflections is superb. Nice metal work on stair case too. Thanks for posting your back catalogues.:thumb

As long as people aren't getting fed up with the spamfest I'll carry on!

Funnily enough I had a copy of that enlarged for an expo did downstairs from my work - I gave it to the landlord of the building who's the architect involved with redeveloping the site. He had it in his apartment next to an original banksy. Was a picture on the local rag of it but can't find it now.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Corr that's a blast from the past. This was one place I tried a few times but something always went wrong or otherwise foiled our attempts annoyingly. I believe its still there though but ruined and an empty shell.

They're actually finally doing something with it, after 15 odd years.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
As long as people aren't getting fed up with the spamfest I'll carry on!

Funnily enough I had a copy of that enlarged for an expo did downstairs from my work - I gave it to the landlord of the building who's the architect involved with redeveloping the site. He had it in his apartment next to an original banksy. Was a picture on the local rag of it but can't find it now.

Wow, that`s really cool. I`m not surprised though, its a superb shot. Bet it looks great blown up and hung. Ive only ever seen one Banksy on a buildings wall. Wish he would spray mine lol;)

Who has read this thread (Total: 153) View details