real time web analytics
Report - - Fort Darnet - Nov 20 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fort Darnet - Nov 20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all, first time posting here so please be kind! Also, apologies for not having the best quality photos, as the site was only accessible by kayak after a vigorous 25-minute paddle across tidal waters, I did not feel brave enough to take my nice camera.

The history – Fort Darnet is a military fort built in 1870 on a tiny island in the middle of the River Medway which formed part of Britain’s extensive coastal defence system upgrade in the 19th Century, known as “Palmerston’s Forts” named after the Prime Minster who commissioned them in 1859 (or less politely as Palmerston’s Follies given the large amount of money spent on them). The fort consists of 3 levels and was a circular, casemated battery, set within a large ditch and outer glacis which held 11 cannons and had a garrison of 100 men. The fort was never used in anger and was completely abandoned after WW2 during which it was used as a observation post. Since then, the fort has been left alone and as such is wonderfully preserved. More information on the fort can be found here.

As the fort is on its own island, it is only accessible by boat / kayak. The island is surrounded by a number of sunken barges which makes access trickier, but much more fun. There are a number of wrecked fishing boats as well surrounding the island but the tide did not allow me enough time to explore these on this trip unfortunately.

IMG_8981.jpg
IMG_9111.jpg
IMG_9041.jpg

Access into the fort used to be thorugh the main gate, but since the fort was abandoned, the ditch has become flooded and the main gate is now only accessible at certain tidal times, with only the very top part still above the water. I was able to paddle underneath the rusting portcullis by laying completely flat in my kayak.

IMG_9056.jpg
IMG_9071.jpg

Once inside, the bottom layer of the fort, which were the living quarters, storage and the magazine areas, are partially submerged. This level is beautifuly preserved considering, with no graffiti, remnents of oriignal paint on the walls and evencoat hooks.

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9083.jpg
IMG_9097.jpg

IMG_9087.jpg

Going up the stairs, the main level of the fort is not flooded, and this is where the gun ports for the cannons are, with 11 of them looking out around the circumference of the fort. This is still nicely preserved, with hooks for lifting, trails for aiming cannons, chutes linking the cannons to the magazines underneath (see left side of photo below) and fireplaces.
IMG_9112.jpg
IMG_9049.jpg

Finally, the top level of the fort is the roof, from which you can look down into the rest of the fort. There are the remains of a pill box built during WW2 as an observation post as well at this level.
IMG_9104.jpg
IMG_9110.jpg

Unfortunately as the river is tidal, the journey back was a hard paddle against the ebbing tide, but well worth the effort.

Hope these photos are of interest

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
I remember kayaking to the nearby Hoo Fort a couple of years back, which by all accounts is a much easier crossing, and being amazed by the beachcombing potential on Hoo Island... the beach was littered with 19th century pottery and even 19th century capbadges. Same at this fort?

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember kayaking to the nearby Hoo Fort a couple of years back, which by all accounts is a much easier crossing, and being amazed by the beachcombing potential on Hoo Island... the beach was littered with 19th century pottery and even 19th century capbadges. Same at this fort?
I have yet to do Fort Hoo - its on the list! The main beach at Darnet has been picked clean of interesting stuff, but on the otherside there was an area littered with clay pipes, what looked like old jar or pot lids, a couple of very worn coins and some old school beer bottles (swing top bass bottle). Nothing as cool as a cap badge though!
Unfortunately there is a significant amount of more modern refuse from people who camp on the island, but compared to other sites it was remarkably litter free.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great 1st report, good photos too. Somewhere Ive always wanted to do. Just no means of getting over to it :confused: always been on my list forever it seems lol

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Just looking at Hoo fort, how many sunken vessels are there there???

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
most of the barges round the Medway are purposely sunk to help stop erosion........they fill with silt and eventually spawn flora
Yep - there are about 20 barges (former grain ones I believe) that were pruposesly sunk there to prevent erosion to important nesting sites. about 100m north or fort Hoo there are also a few more modern fishing vessels that are crashed on top of the brges, and what would once have been a nice cruiser. Note sure what there are doing here but it could only have been done on purpose. I tried to get some photos but the mixture of strong wind and tide made it impossible!

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
@Lndnpdd It's obvious that you enjoy kayaking on the Medway, so be aware that there is a WW1 German Submarine in the area - assumed to be UB-122. Only a little bit exposed at high tide, but fully exposed at low tide (but that would involve waiting for many hours on the high ground that it is beached on). Paddle out from Upper Stoke with good knowledge of the tide times.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great first report! I still need to do this and Hoo, been on the list for way too long

Who has read this thread (Total: 220) View details