real time web analytics
Report - - HMP Kingston, August 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMP Kingston, August 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D

Dragon_Urbex

HMP Kingston is a former Category B/C men’s prison in Kingston, Portsmouth. The building was originally built in 1877, designed by George Rake and built in the radial plan, with a central block in the middle used by guards to observe prisoners from a 360 view. The prison was closed in 2013 as part of the government’s planned closures of older prisons. Between then and 2020, the site sat almost virtually unused. However now, it is being developed by Homes England into around 100 houses and flats.

The Explore:

My friends @Landie_Man and Robin and I ventured to this site after a previous explore. The access was really surprisingly easy, given that this was a prison. There are holes everywhere now! However, once inside it was sadly evident that conversion work was well underway inside, with many of the cells broken up into larger rooms to be converted into flats. However, saying that, there were still some rather nice remaining features, such as the wrought iron stairs and railings and a few cell doors still intact. Overall, it was a slight letdown but nevertheless an interesting explore. Enjoy the photographs.

DSC_3839 (2).JPG

DSC_3840 (2).JPG

DSC_3833 (2).JPG

DSC_3835 (2).JPG

DSC_3810 (2).JPG

DSC_3812 (2).JPG

DSC_3813 (2).JPG

DSC_3816 (2).JPG

DSC_3819 (2).JPG

DSC_3821 (2).JPG

DSC_3822 (2).JPG

DSC_3827 (2).JPG

DSC_3832 (2).JPG

DSC_3815 (2).JPG

DSC_3829 (2).JPG

Thanks for readin'!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Still got the features of a prison. Just main corridors and workshops/gym, I couldn't see. Well worth an explore. Great shots there. The build is fab. But fuck buying a flat that was once a prison

D

Dragon_Urbex

Despite the work that is still rather lovely
There are some good things still left there but almost none of the cells were actually intact, hence no photos. A lot of them have walls that are punched through which is a shame.

D

Dragon_Urbex

Still got the features of a prison. Just main corridors and workshops/gym, I couldn't see. Well worth an explore. Great shots there. The build is fab. But fuck buying a flat that was once a prison
Thank you very much! Yeah, stuck my head into one of the finished flats. So pokey and claustrophobic. Wouldn't like to stay in it long.

D

Dragon_Urbex

Good work. Got in there just in the nick-of-time!
Thanks. Yeah, I certainly think so. The main admin wing has been almost fully converted. Only a matter of time before the wings are as well.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Lovely stuff, good that these old City/Castle style prisons are being documented as won't be long till they are all gone.

D

Dragon_Urbex

Lovely stuff, good that these old City/Castle style prisons are being documented as won't be long till they are all gone.
Thanks. Aye, the castellated prisons are interesting. Reading Prison used to have a huge battlemented wall with towers with decorative brickwork and stone dressings. I believe it was to strike fear into criminals or something psychological like that. Nevertheless not many exist anymore which is really sad!

Who has read this thread (Total: 397) View details