real time web analytics
Report - - Imperial Dock Grain Warehouse, Leith Docks - Edinburgh 2017/18 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Imperial Dock Grain Warehouse, Leith Docks - Edinburgh 2017/18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Another one that visited in two trips to Scotland this year & last. Not entirely sure of the history of this place but I think its only been closed about 10 years. Imagine perhaps what MM would have been back in the day it still had power on everywhere and even the lifts worked although dare not try them for fear of them grinding to a halt mid flight.; Category B listed apparently so bit of local opposition/support to keep/get rid!

35.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Excellent, was going to do this last time me and Host we're up there but opted for something else. Rather jealous now, great pics too, think I've stumbled onto your website before now as they look familiar

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice, takes me back towhen I first started exploring and there was one of these on every dock in the UK! A rare breed these days.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Excellent, was going to do this last time me and Host we're up there but opted for something else. Rather jealous now, great pics too, think I've stumbled onto your website before now as they look familiar

Yeah been right sketchy remembering what I have/have not posted up! Going through last week or so realising I've missed a few!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice, I think you should go and have a lie down now mate, that's at least 2 threads in the space of a month :p

:thumb

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I like that a lot. Amazing it's so clean and tidy.

Not entirely sure of the history of this place

I found this after a bit of rooting (I know some of it is on your website)

The granary was built for the Leith Dock Commission in 1933-34 to add capacity to the existing Leith dock grain operation. The building was almost a replica of the nearby Edinburgh Dock Grain Store ( demolished 1995-8). In the late 1950's and again in the 1960's the Imperial Grain Store silo capacity was expanded.

The building was decommissioned in 2006 due to the uneconomic investment required to update the infrastructure and equipment to meet current health and safety legislation for the handling of grain.

On 2 September 2015 Listed Building Consent for full demolition of the complex was applied for.

On 16th December 2015 permission was granted subject to the condition that no demolition shall take place on the site until the applicant has secured the implementation of a programme of archaeological work (Historic building recording, excavation, analysis, reporting and publication) in accordance with a written scheme of investigation which has been submitted by the applicant and approved by the Planning Authority.

The work must be carried out by a professional archaeological organisation, either working to a brief prepared by CECAS or through a written scheme of investigation submitted to and agreed by CECAS for the site. Responsibility for the execution and resourcing of the programme of archaeological works and for the archiving and appropriate level of publication of the results lies with the applicant.

I also read on buildings at risk “small power generating plant to NE “

Ghosttt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was there last week it was amazing loved it but I have bad news guys it’s basically on lockdown police cars patrolling it and all access points are locked

Who has read this thread (Total: 158) View details