real time web analytics
Report - - Kingsnorth Powerstation, 2014. | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kingsnorth Powerstation, 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Kingsnorth Powerstation

selfie2.jpg

Built on the site of the former World War I airship base RNAS Kingsnorth, Kingsnorth power station was constructed between 1963 and 1973 by the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB)

From 1975 to the early 1980's, Kingsnorth was linked to the London power grid by HVDC Kingsnorth, one of the few examples of high-voltage direct current transmission in use at the time

The station closed as a result of the EU's Large Combustion Plant Directive (LCPD) ,on 17th December 2012, having consumed all its LCPD hours

This was a result of the station not being equipped with Flue Gas Desulphurisation (FGD) technology to close after 20,000 hours of operation from 1 January 2008 or the end of 2015, which ever came first

Demolition of the site commenced in October 2014[/QUOTE]

In 2007 Greenpiss took the peace out of criminal trespass as we know it

Having been served a high court injunction to piss off having rolled Gordon down the chim and later evading court action they were acquitted on grounds of

"they were legally justified in their actions to prevent climate change from causing greater damage to property around the world"

It was the first case, where preventing property damage caused by climate change has been used as part of a "lawful excuse" defence in court

Sounds like a perfectly good invite to me..

Myself GAJ & Keitei took 2 trips out here before we managed in, the first trip was merely a recce as we agreed we'd never just ball into any of these sites and have a little respect, despite it being one of the last ones we did

We sussed 2 possible ways in on that visit, the first one wasn't ideal given the conditions on said evening

The second way in wasn't ideal either, as it dropped in right by a couple of camera's, one of which was fairly new and certainly wasn't part of the legacy dual-fired coal and oil power stations security set up

I'm happy we did the right thing and returned, besides we wouldn't have had enough time anyway, still we managed to note that there was still activity even at silly o'clock

We returned about a week later, much earlier to allow ourselves more time to monitor activity and attempt to work a route through the site

Just getting to our intended point of access was a right mission in itself, and to have had to have done it twice wasn't ideal

Cold, muddy and soaked before we even hit the perimeter leccy fence wasn't my idea of fun at the time,
although looking back the smiles on our faces when we walked away having managed a few snaps amongst the workers and cameras were worth it!

Having managed to tackle a route beyond the electric fence and cctv it was a right faff getting anywhere near to the main spectacle, thankfully there were enough bits & bobs to duck, dip dive & dodge behind along the way

Although the site is now demolished I'm still going to refrain from referring to access related information, as typically it's useful for similar sites

For anyone who's never bothered to put any effort into these places, then I'm afraid you'll have to go and play out in your own time :p

There was one final dash required between some very open bits before we could begin to head into the bowels of the station..

Just as we decided it was time to make a run for it, I heard voices, although faint I wasn't happy, and prob took me a further 5 mins to convince the others I wasn't hearing things

Some workers were filling a tank right by where we were aiming for, and they took an absolute age before it was even remotely safe to advance

They were driving about quite frequently, that and along with security doing a regular patrol around

In the end a right mission with a lot of waiting around and dashing between bits of the site to avoid the engineers, secca and cctv in order for a look in

It turned out the fuss was worth it, and Kingsnorth was one of my favourites for a few different reasons

Excuse the handheld specials here, thankfully the extra light and high iso worked in my favour a bit more on this one compared to the others :thumb

~

Here, the coal processing area and bunker on the way to the boiler house

(Shockingly bad pic of coal conveyor)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Onwards into, up and through the boiler house in search of turb0nZ

4.jpg

I only managed a few insignificant handheld runners from within the boiler house as we passed through...

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Turb0nZ

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

We were about to leave the turbine hall and just moments after I took this last pic, a flatbed drove in and they proceeded to load parts onto it before leaving

It was just like Inverkip all over again, another fond memory of a site that will never leave me :thumb

21.jpg

TURBEX

22.jpg

23.jpg

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

I just wish we'd had more luck with some of the control rooms at the other sites, but sadly we were thwarted by workers, secca and locked doors :banghead

This place was no exception really, in the end we managed a cheeky look in before we ran out of time and had to bail

In search of control rooms..

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Big bruv

34.jpg

35.jpg

It was only after we'd managed to nail that lot, we were later informed that secca were based right below us internally

I remember Frosty telling me about the toilet flushing which is right by the access corridor to the control room, with this bike outside the door

36.jpg

Time to GTFO, as indeed I could hear footsteps below!

Mad props to @GAJ @Keitei for hitting these hard, and also to the nutters hitting t'others:thumb

Last edited:

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Aye, was a good one this & our initial recce definitely proved useful in knowing the movements on site & how to get around. Fuck knows why we then thought it would be a good idea to revisit Grain & go for the chimbly at that late hour

On our return we had some horrendous rain which made it look like we'd swam up the river to it by the time we got anywhere close & people who've been anywhere like this with me will know I hate leaving wet or muddy footprints around. Just to really help matters there was 2 workers filling a large water tank up & generally pisspotting about right where we were going to get in. At least they were spreading a bit of water around to get our feet wet just in time to walk inside on a dry bit right where they would be stood in another 20 minutes or so Still, in we went & proceeded to clamber around everything we could easily get to, avoiding the millions of cameras, which probably aren't linked to security, but still best avoided in places like this. Nice to see some shots of the cameras in this report as avoiding them played a big part in all the powah adventures.
Good to see Turbex again When I spotted them I went instantly over & next thing heard a big 'Whoosh' as some automatic doors opened making a sound like the Starship Enterprise. I kind of knew to expect them but was still a bit shocked. Obviously I didn't tell Keitei, who was next down & she had a similar reaction. We then both waited for Ojay to come down as rather unusually he was actually focussing his camera this time & he also looked like the world ended when it opened for him
Was awesome to finally get in a control room too after a few misses by this point & whilst it didn't have the faded glamour of Battersea, it was still an amazing space to find yourself in.
On the way out, at who knows what time, we approached our exit & wouldn't you know it, the water bowser boys were just turning up. I stopped everyone when I heard the truck reversing into the spot & went for a sneaky look through a small gap above them. I was about 3ft away which made the others about 6ft from them & Ojay decides to spark up a technical conversation with Keitei about the other power stations we'd done. I pushed the limit of what would be considered whispering as I uttered the words "fucking shut up!" 20 minutes later we were safely on our way out on what was to be our last LCPD power station ready for the endless trek back to the car.
All in all, a top night & after dropping Keitei & Ojay off I headed straight into work, got changed into some clothes I left there for when I cycled in & realised I had no shoes there. I went into an important meeting with my muddy boots on from the night before hoping nobody noticed

Cracking shots & write up Ojay, now get the bloody videos up!!

Last edited by a moderator:

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
I never realised it was such funky colours!

Neither did I, but then I've got next to zero shots to compare it to. Secretly I reckon since most of his shots are from the brown environment he's gone a bit HDR mad now colours finally fill his screen

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Staff member
Top stuff mate, enjoyed reading that. Sounds like a fun evening and the place looks amazing, that control room is especially nice :D