real time web analytics
Report - - Lister Pump House, Tasburgh, Norfolk - February 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lister Pump House, Tasburgh, Norfolk - February 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Another nice little pump house found by the so-called 'pump people' duo :D . It’s a fairly trivial one but it hasn’t been documented at all online so thought it would still be worthy posting it, rather than just leaving the photos on my computer for no one to ever see.

Information & History
I’ve searched and searched, and I can’t seem to find any information at all about this particular pumping installation. It is situated on an incline between Alder Carr Plantation and Cubitt’s Hill Wood between the villages of Hempnall and Tasburgh, Norfolk. I am uncertain of the exact purpose of this pump house. There is a pipe that runs between the pond and the pump house but I am unsure if this acted as an input or an output. I am learning towards input, it looks as though the pump house supplied water from the valley pond/stream to a nearby location uphill. In Cubitt’s Hill Wood there is a large mesh animal enclosure that appears disused so it may have supplied water to that.

The pump house itself contains a lovely Lister diesel engine, this one is a 3-cylinder air-cooled ‘HB’ type with a power output of 35 HP and appears to be more modern than some of the other ones me and Jake have seen recently. The engine powered a SPP Sigmund Pulseometer pump (Type: LEX3). SPP used to be based in Reading and has been around since 1875.

The pump house doesn’t appear on any of the old OS Maps, and I could only find a reference to it on a modern OS StreetView map.

The Explore
I first checked this place out at the end of summer last year when I first spotted it on maps. I grabbed some phone photos but wanted to go back with the camera to get some better shots. There is parking on the road nearby and after 5/10 minutes of traipsing through hilly woodland, we reached the station. It’s actually a really nice area and would go there again in future for a nice walk in the summer. Surprisingly picturesque and doesn’t even feel like Norfolk when you are there!

Photos
Starting with externals on the approach to the Pump House. it looks as though there may have been an oil tank here originally judging by the concrete blocks:

IMG_7749.jpg

The pump house was constructed with a very basic concrete pre-fab design with wooden doors to the front and a couple of windows and a ventilation point next to the engine.

IMG_7829.jpg

Heading inside:

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_7714-HDR.jpg

IMG_7810-HDR.jpg

IMG_7733.jpg

A lot of these smaller pumping stations have these small hand pumps. These are air pumps and are used to create a vacuum suction in a centrifugal pump priming line and pull into the pump for priming.

IMG_7804.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7796.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

And finally a pic of the lovely surroundings:

IMG_7758.jpg

Thanks for looking!

tigger

mog
Regular User
Inlet from the pond. Appeared on OS maps by 1973 survey but nothing else immediately obvious when I had a quick look.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Gorgeous mate. It's looks like nothing from the outside but looks lovely inside. Another great find from the pumping pumper mcpumpface duo.
Cheers mate, yeah it's a very boring-looking building but the inside was a nice surprise! Pumper McPumpface :rofl

Inlet from the pond. Appeared on OS maps by 1973 survey but nothing else immediately obvious when I had a quick look.
Ah that's interesting, shame there is no other info.

You've managed to fluff that up quite well!
Cheers, yeah just a shame I couldn't find any actual history about it.

Nice pump mate :D
Haha cheers mate, they (aka you) don't call us the pump people for nothing ;)

Nice work pumpers
Haha cheers!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
I do like these really crude concrete pumping stations! And you've still managed to make it look really nice, lovely colours in these shots. The final natural shot is a cracker!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
A very different design externally, very plain. But still holds the goodies inside. Good job once again 👍