real time web analytics
Report - - Lydbrook Tunnel, Welsh Bicknor, March 23 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lydbrook Tunnel, Welsh Bicknor, March 23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This tunnel hasn't had a report in years, probably due to being sealed up for rather a long time. Not sure how long it's been open, but it's been a fair few months at least, I checked it out in the summer last year, didn't go in though, as I didn't have torches with me. It's in poor condition now, and worth a fresh report as a result...

The History

The 630 yard Lydbrook tunnel (sometimes referred to as the Coppet Hill Tunnel) is one of two tunnels (the other being Symonds Yat) on the Ross & Monmouth Railway, which opened in 1873. The line crossed the River Wye twice, once either side of the tunnel. Stowfield Bridge is just beyond the South Portal, and remains extant today, albeit without decking.

The line remained open to passengers until 1959 when the through route was closed. However, the northern section of the line including the tunnel remained open, serving the AEI cable works siding which was located on the other side of the river. This continued until the final closure of the line in November 1965. The tracks didn't remain in situ for very long, with them being lifted and the tunnel sealed by the summer of 1967.

The Explore

Access is simple as somebody has made a hole, and there's a temporary bridge over the remains of Stowfield Bridge, so it's a short walk from where I parked. The South portal is very flooded for 50 yards or so, had to pick my way along the edge of the tunnel, still ended up with wet feet, as my boots are barely clinging on to life.
DSC01001.jpg

Easy stroll after, just a bit muddy. Cable hangers remain in situ throughout the length of the tunnel.
DSC00940.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

A refuge in good condition -
DSC00943.jpg

There has been a massive collapse just before the curve... I didn't get too close, as the tunnel lining has multiple bulges approaching it, one being very large, and the brickwork immediately preceding the collapse is hanging away from the bore and looks like it could drop at any point.
DSC00964.jpg

DSC00971.jpg

No idea what the situation is around the curve, you could easily climb over the collapse if you're brave enough... I don't know where the northern portal comes out, and I didn't have time to look for it either, so I'm not sure whether that end is open as well.

Bit of RGB -
DSC00946.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

Halfway between the south portal and the collapse -
DSC00952.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

Apologies for the quality of some of the photos, I unfortunately had to rush this one, so didn't have time to double check my handiwork.

Thanks for looking 👌🏻

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There’s a second collapse just before the northern portal which totally blocks the route, Very little to see between the two collapses.