real time web analytics
Report - - Lynemouth Power Station - Dec 2017 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lynemouth Power Station - Dec 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Anyone remember Alcan?
I don't. In a crass and completely insensitive measure I completely overlooked the old girl, which now lies as a shadow of its former self, all chimneys demolished and well set up in its new life as a business park. Had I bothered to get myself over there, I'd have probably noticed the coal fired power station they'd not shut down next door.

lynmouth16.jpg

By the time I'd realised that this cracking little specimen even existed, they were well underway into the biomass conversion. I can only assume they're running behind schedule, as when we tried it on what we thought was a casual Saturday night, we ended up being a gnats testicle from being clocked by workers no less than 3 times. The place was swarming. The final straw was AJ grabbing my arm and pointing out a worker who'd just lit a cigarette in the smoking shelter, 3 meters away from the road I was about to carelessly run down to get access to the boiler house; so we gave up, called it a night and bailed. It would probably have been easier if it had been live!

By the time holiday season had come round, we'd both had enough of turkey sandwiches and our relatives and opted to give it a second go, and this time we were in luck! The only bloke on the clock was a man pacing up and down the control room, we didn't see another soul!

lynmouth1.jpg

The turbos in this place are cracking, and absolutely spotless!

lynmouth5.jpg

lynmouth4.jpg

All the switch gear is still alive and kicking, and it's still attached to the grid.

lynmouth2.jpg

lynmouth3.jpg

lynmouth7.jpg

lynmouth8.jpg

It was a bit of a pig getting to the turbos themselves. There are a lot of cameras in the turbine hall and our mate upstairs would have probably thrown a wobbler if he'd have seen us skulking around, so we stayed hidden.

lynmouth9.jpg

We had a stroll to the top of the boilers which was nice and tidy, but probably nothing you've not seen before.

lynmouth10.jpg

lynmouth11.jpg

And the coal crushers! Probably never to be used again!

lynmouth12.jpg

lynmouth14.jpg

In the back yard they've built 6 massive biomass storage hoppers and filled the old coal conveyers with cement. The cool thing about Lynemouth was that there were tunnels dug straight to the mines from the powerstation, with all the coal being mined on demand and chucked straight in!

lynmouth15.jpg

So thats it! I'm kinda ashamed I didn't spot this one before, as the time to get on it was probably when they switched her off for the biomass change over.. I guess it'll be full steam ahead now until the big switch on!

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Looks like we lost the last thread from here when it was stripped before them setting up for Bio-Mass ?

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Looks like we lost the last thread from here when it was stripped before them setting up for Bio-Mass ?
No idea! I didn't see that. Who put it up? I thought it was weird no one had stuck their head in before

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It was that Conrad kid, someone appears to have binned it, he had pics of the turbines stripped

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
There was something on here too but oddly it's no longer, thought I was going mad for a minute

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Superb! Not just us who were making the most of the quiet period it seems. Love the look of this. :)

Reactions: m9

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
I certainly remember Alcan! Also listening to the turbos from here spooling away every time the fucking freezing wind blew the right way!

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Have they actually finished now then or are they still doing the conversion?

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Have they actually finished now then or are they still doing the conversion?

It’s not far off but they’ve still got a bit to do. All the biomass solos are done and the conveyer feeds for them are up, but there was still quite a bit of scarf in the turbine hall and boiler, although a fair amount of this was being taken down (you can see it piled up in that photo from the turbine hall floor). The plan was to have it up and running by Feb 2018 I think to just catch the end of the winter price hike.