real time web analytics
Report - - Market Hall, Chester - January 2024 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Market Hall, Chester - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
January 2024

The Visit
This is another one that I did as an unplanned solo visit. While mooching around the connected Forum Shopping Centre, I also managed to find a way into the old Market Hall building, which was vacated in October 2022 following the completion of the new hall a short walk away. Just as with the shopping centre, I hadn’t planned on visiting this one on the day and because of this I knew very little about it as I was walking around. It is only after getting home and having a good session on Google did I realise just how significant and important the market is for Chester.

The History
For more than 2,000 years, goods have been exchanged in the settlement. Chester's market charter was granted way back in 1159AD. Initially, the markets took place on the streets and Rows, with Market Square being the focal point, right outside the main entrance to the Forum Shopping Centre. The first permanent market building, called the Exchange, was constructed in the square in 1692. However, it tragically burned down in 1862. After the fire, a magnificent Victorian structure was erected in 1865, designed to complement the new Town Hall next door. Unfortunately, this building was demolished in 1967 and replaced by the current building featured in this report.

In the vibrant city, a remarkable structure emerged in 1967, known as "The Forum." Crafted by the talented architects at Michael Lyall Associates, this building boasted a ground floor adorned with shops, while council offices occupied the floors above. It stood as a shining example of the "Brutalist" architectural style that defined the 1960s. Interestingly, an alternative design, which had won accolades, was abandoned due to its exorbitant cost. Ironically, the construction of The Forum, with no connection to Roman architecture, led to the demolition of the unique Roman "Elliptical Building." This structure, unparalleled in the entire Roman Empire, had served as the council planning office for many years. The development stirred controversy among those who believed it clashed with the city's aesthetic, yet The Forum stood its ground until recently. However, plans were unveiled by Cheshire West Council to replace the Market with a brand-new building across the street, accompanied by a modern multi-storey carpark. This ambitious project formed part of their grand vision to revitalise the Northgate shopping area. In 2020, construction commenced, and by October 2022, the market traders had relocated, leaving The Forum vacant ever since.

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall9.jpg

[1] - Market Entrance From The Shopping Centre

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall1.jpg

[2]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall2.jpg

[3]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall3.jpg

[4]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall6.jpg

[5]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall4.jpg

[6]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall5.jpg

[7]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall7.jpg

[8]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall8.jpg

[9]

GRONK_Chester_Market_Hall10.jpg

[10]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm X-T2, 10-24mm f4 R OIS WR (Velvia)​

Last edited:

pepsimax

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome report, visited without luck, probably due to my ineptness at finding my way into places😂. Might try again at some point

Who has read this thread (Total: 153) View details