real time web analytics
Report - - Methodist church central hall - Birmingham - March/24 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Methodist church central hall - Birmingham - March/24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tobytron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place has been featured on this site multiple times before but the latest report I can find on it was in 2018. I thought I would give it a write up despite my sub-par camera as an update as the building has undergone some changes in the last 6 years.

History
(Shameless wikipedia copy paste)
The Methodist Central Hall, 196–224 Corporation Street, Birmingham, England, is a three-storey red brick and terracotta Grade II* listed building with a distinctive tower at the northern end of Corporation Street. The design complements the Victoria Law Courts opposite, also in terracotta, and includes eclectic details such as the corner turrets resembling Indian chattris It is is located within the Steelhouse Conservation Area

It was built 1903–04 by architects Ewan Harper & James A. Harper. The main hall seated 2,000 and it had more than 30 other rooms, including three school halls.
The street level has twelve bays of shops (four with their original fronts). The building also runs along Ryder Street and has more original shop fronts.
In 1991, the Methodist Church was converted into the Que Club, a nightclub and music venue; however, since its closure in 2002, the building fell empty and was poorly maintained. Currently it is only partially in use and its deteriorating condition has led to it being listed on Historic England's Heritage at Risk Register. The building has been the subject of various proposals for conversion to apartments and offices. In 2018 Birmingham City Council approved plans to restore and renovate the building including a 147-bed hotel.
In July 2022, it was announced that Press Up Entertainment, would begin converting the building into a 150 bedroom hotel and event space following a grant of planning permission. The building will be renamed The Dean Hotel as part of the renovation.
The Explore

As Birmingham is halfway up the country and my parents weren't too happy about it, we had planned to head up as early as the trains allowed.
But after my mate slept in until almost 10 we finally got on our way at 11.
The 4 hour journey passed surprisingly quickly and a luckily delayed Euston to Glasgow train meant that we finally arrived at Birmingham New Street at 3 in the afternoon.
We got some food and made our way to the building with a few hours of sun left.
After circling the place a few times we found our entrance...
Main Entrance

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG-20240303-WA0015.jpg

1st floor
IMG_0286.JPG

IMG-20240305-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20240305-WA0007.jpg

Basement

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Ground level shops
IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Methodist church

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

Central hall

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

It was at this point that my camera died and my photos end.

Quick phone shot on the roof

IMG-20240305-WA0008.jpg

Cheers if you've read this far and thank you to my mate Myen for letting me pinch some of his photos.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good to have an update. I do like the metal work on the stairs here.

Who has read this thread (Total: 155) View details