real time web analytics
Report - - Moneystone Quarry pump house, Staffordshire, Apr 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Moneystone Quarry pump house, Staffordshire, Apr 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There is not much left of Moneystone quarry but this small pumphouse remains intact and with minimal vandalism.
I have worked on the site as contractor many years ago when the site was operated by WBB Minerals. I never got chance to explore the site before it was demolished and I'm pleased to find that the pumphouse that delivered river water to the site still remains. Water was used to transport sand around the processing facility as its far easier and cost effective to transport sand suspended in water through pipes than on conveyors.

Any way, some history on the site

Moneystone Quarry has been quarried by the Sibelco Group since the late 1960's for silica sands, mainly for the production of container glass and ceramics.

Quarrying came to a stop in September 2011 after a planning application to extend the quarry further was rejected. Laver Leisure purchased the 420 acre site to develop a new £50 million leisure complex. This never happened and the site is now used by a local heritage railway company to sore old train parts and is home to hundreds of solar panels.

The explore was a nice easy wander through the woods whilst out in the area to see a few other sites.

Enjoy.

I didn't need to fall in the pit below

This motor and gearbox opened and closed a sluice gate to kepp debris out of the coffer dam when the river was in flood condition

And that's that one done.