real time web analytics
Report - - Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory, Cambridgeshire - April 2024 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory, Cambridgeshire - April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
I can’t believe it has taken me this long to do this place as it is quite interesting and reasonably local to me. Me @Wastelandr, and @KPUrban_ headed out to check out a few bits in Cambridgeshire with this being the last site of the day.

Information & History
Founded by Martin Ryle of the Radio-Astronomy Group of the Cavendish Laboratory, Mullard Observatory was opened in July 1957 and is now home to one of the most advanced aperture synthesis radio telescopes worldwide. Radio interferometry started in Cambridgeshire just after World War II and thanks to funding from the Science Research Council and Mullard Limited, this facility was constructed.

The first telescope to be constructed at the site was the 4C array in 1958, later the One-Mile Telescope was built. Other telescopes built later on include the Half-Mile Telescope, and the Ryle Telescope, amongst others. Many of the telescopes have now been decommissioned but some remain active. The most recent one to be constructed on-site is the Arcminute Microkelvin Imager Large Array.

Further descriptions are included between the photos below.

The Explore
The visit itself was a very relaxing wander to finish the day, we managed to see the 4C Array and the Half-Mile Telescope in addition to a few other bits and pieces on site.

Photos
Approaching from an entrance off the A603 we began at one end of the Half Mile Telescope. This part of the site was constructed in 1968 with two ariels, a further two ariels were added four years later. The ones below were fixed:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Moving further along this section, we were greeted with an old control room for the half-mile. It was sealed tight but I managed to get a shot through the window.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Further along the track, we were greeted with four other dishes. The two furthest away in the pic below are the largest. Two of these could be moved along the track.

5.jpg

There are now a couple of cameras in this area so we didn’t spend too much time around these.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

A building at the base of the furthest dish houses a lovely control room, again sealed but I managed to get a couple of shots through the windows on either side:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The site does have a military feel to it. This is because the observatory was built on land which originally served as a munitions depot. This is evident in places:

13.jpg

A satellite image of the site serving as a munitions depot in 1945:

w0XEaggMX1loHsTi--Y5WV7LfCWaimO-uqR1JpSGHnKUPrd35U.png

The first telescope at the site was the 4C Array. This was constructed with a cylindrical paraboloid design. Personally, I prefer Wastelandr’s description of ‘Duga Radar from Wish’.

At 450 metres long, it required 40 miles of reflector wire which has now been removed. It operated at 178 MHz and located almost 5000 sources of the 4C catalogue. This catalogue helped establish the evolution of the radio galaxy population of the universe.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

In the distance, we spotted a much larger dish which I believe is still active. Originally I thought this was one of the Arcminute Microkelvin dishes but these are all constructed together further east of the site.

17.jpg

Finally, we had a quick look at the remains of the Cosmic Anisotropy Telescope. Built in 1995 and now decommissioned, this was a three-element interferometer used for detecting cosmic microwave background radiation observations and creating high-res maps of fluctuations.

18.jpg

Remnants of the old munitions structures were also present here:

19.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Excellent report there mate, very comprehensive. Gotta be one of the best on this place surely. Big fan of pic 6, and the control rooms were so nice even just to see through the windows.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Love this! Great photos!
Cheers!

Excellent report there mate, very comprehensive. Gotta be one of the best on this place surely. Big fan of pic 6, and the control rooms were so nice even just to see through the windows.
Cheers mate, yeah I spent a lot of time getting pic 6 right in terms of composition, I even did a B&W version! Great suggestion by you to visit this place, I'll have to go back on a clear night and have a go at some long exposures.

IMG_9529-2.jpg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice set of images.
Quite enjoyed the last minute planning of this and the chaos of @Wastelandr 's off roading abilities.

I'm still confused how I haven't spent more time at this before.
Cheers mate. That was so chaotic, surprised he didn't rip the front bumper off :D Yeah I'm the same, think I'll be visiting again soon.

Nice set of the place mate. Did you go in the old big dish, it’s so slippy. I liked this place a lot and been twice.
Cheers mate - nah I debated it but decided against!

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Introduction
I can’t believe it has taken me this long to do this place as it is quite interesting and reasonably local to me. Me @Wastelandr, and @KPUrban_ headed out to check out a few bits in Cambridgeshire with this being the last site of the day.

Information & History
Founded by Martin Ryle of the Radio-Astronomy Group of the Cavendish Laboratory, Mullard Observatory was opened in July 1957 and is now home to one of the most advanced aperture synthesis radio telescopes worldwide. Radio interferometry started in Cambridgeshire just after World War II and thanks to funding from the Science Research Council and Mullard Limited, this facility was constructed.

The first telescope to be constructed at the site was the 4C array in 1958, later the One-Mile Telescope was built. Other telescopes built later on include the Half-Mile Telescope, and the Ryle Telescope, amongst others. Many of the telescopes have now been decommissioned but some remain active. The most recent one to be constructed on-site is the Arcminute Microkelvin Imager Large Array.

Further descriptions are included between the photos below.

The Explore
The visit itself was a very relaxing wander to finish the day, we managed to see the 4C Array and the Half-Mile Telescope in addition to a few other bits and pieces on site.

Photos
Approaching from an entrance off the A603 we began at one end of the Half Mile Telescope. This part of the site was constructed in 1968 with two ariels, a further two ariels were added four years later. The ones below were fixed:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Moving further along this section, we were greeted with an old control room for the half-mile. It was sealed tight but I managed to get a shot through the window.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Further along the track, we were greeted with four other dishes. The two furthest away in the pic below are the largest. Two of these could be moved along the track.

5.jpg

There are now a couple of cameras in this area so we didn’t spend too much time around these.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

A building at the base of the furthest dish houses a lovely control room, again sealed but I managed to get a couple of shots through the windows on either side:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The site does have a military feel to it. This is because the observatory was built on land which originally served as a munitions depot. This is evident in places:

13.jpg

A satellite image of the site serving as a munitions depot in 1945:

w0XEaggMX1loHsTi--Y5WV7LfCWaimO-uqR1JpSGHnKUPrd35U.png

The first telescope at the site was the 4C Array. This was constructed with a cylindrical paraboloid design. Personally, I prefer Wastelandr’s description of ‘Duga Radar from Wish’.

At 450 metres long, it required 40 miles of reflector wire which has now been removed. It operated at 178 MHz and located almost 5000 sources of the 4C catalogue. This catalogue helped establish the evolution of the radio galaxy population of the universe.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

In the distance, we spotted a much larger dish which I believe is still active. Originally I thought this was one of the Arcminute Microkelvin dishes but these are all constructed together further east of the site.

17.jpg

Finally, we had a quick look at the remains of the Cosmic Anisotropy Telescope. Built in 1995 and now decommissioned, this was a three-element interferometer used for detecting cosmic microwave background radiation observations and creating high-res maps of fluctuations.

18.jpg

Remnants of the old munitions structures were also present here:

19.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Great photos we recently did the one mile telescope but didn't have time to check them ones out

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Everytime I see a report on this place it reminds how I’ve never made the effort to visit and really should have done by now.

Great shots too.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great photos we recently did the one mile telescope but didn't have time to check them ones out
Cheers, you'll have to come back at some point!

One of my favourite places to explore this, you really did it justice!
Cheers - yeah it's such a nice relaxed wander and definitely something a little different to the usual stuff.

Everytime I see a report on this place it reminds how I’ve never made the effort to visit and really should have done by now.

Great shots too.
Cheers, I do get the vibe its one of them places you don't really get around to doing then once you've been you're like 'why didn't I visit sooner!'.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Really nice set of images.
Quite enjoyed the last minute planning of this and the chaos of @Wastelandr 's off roading abilities.

I'm still confused how I haven't spent more time at this before.
Yeah that offroading was carnage, the worrying thing is that I used to treat the mini the same way 😅

Cheers!

Cheers mate, yeah I spent a lot of time getting pic 6 right in terms of composition, I even did a B&W version! Great suggestion by you to visit this place, I'll have to go back on a clear night and have a go at some long exposures.

IMG_9529-2.jpg
Yeah it's honestly a cracker, composition is top. No probs it's a cool one for sure, certainly a one of a kind place. The light pollution is so low at night you do get some nice stars, but it was also nice to see it in the day. Felt like I took a lot more in