real time web analytics
Report - - Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry, North Wales : February 2024 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry, North Wales : February 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry

On a recent birthday trip to North Wales, I decided to have a look at a quarry, something I've never done. Having seen a few reports on this particular one in the past, it interested me. I set an entire day aside to check it out, but it didn't actually take as long as I initially thought it would.

Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry was opened in 1816. It was owned by William Turner who also owned the nearby Dorothea Quarry. It was a relatively small exercise until 1862 when it was purchased by Darbishire Company, who owned several quarries in the area. They invested nearly £2million in today's money to expand the Quarry.
The Quarry is across three levels, it had mills on each level. The first constructed in 1860, the next in 1870 with the final constructed in 1898. At this period, over 600 people were employed. Operating successfully for numerous decades, Pen-yr-Orsedd was the last Nantlle quarries to produce slate commercially. It eventually closed in 1979 most likely due to lack of demand for slate.

The top most buildings were used up until recently. Equipment can be seen on some older reports, that has all since been cleared out. It's a nice easy wander around, almost public. I saw plenty of dog walkers and a few runners while looking around. Incredibly relaxed and surprisingly for February in Wales, it was sunny and dry!

This report may be a bit photo heavy, so I do apologize. I started at the older buildings at the bottom of the quarry and worked my way up.

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

A lovely diesel generator. Right up my street

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

This corner of the quarry had a few residential looking buildings. Potentially for quarry workers to live on site?

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

Some of the many winding gears on the site

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Now, moving onto the higher sections of the quarry. These are the sections which were most recently used. It's a shame the equipment has been removed from these areas. It appears it may have been a vehicle workshop judging by the various spare parts and consumables lying around.

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

Overlooking the older part.

IMG_3969.jpg

More winding gear!

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

I found this quite interesting. In this winding building there were some carvings in the slate from workers with dates back to the early 1940s. They're excellent actually! Someone was skilled in carving.

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

A beautiful old stationary engine, quite an intriguing design.

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

This was the electrical generator house (from memory!)

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

That's all from here. I actually posted a report that isn't a pump house, are you proud?

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That looks absolutely fantastic, the winding gear is lovely. Gonna try and get there later in the year I think!

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Covered that really well. It's a fab place. Looks like you had better weather than when I went there last!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Top notch stuff! Compositions and variety of shots is fantastic and nice tasteful edits as always. Like that last shot in the first part with the fern over the sign

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Covered that really well. It's a fab place. Looks like you had better weather than when I went there last!
Thank you, I was shocked. Visited wales for 5 days and this was the only dry day. The other days chucked it down!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Superb photos. I do like these quarry reports. There is so much in this one. Great coverage 👊