real time web analytics
Report - - RAE Bedford 3×3, 8×8 & Canteen: August 2023. | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAE Bedford 3×3, 8×8 & Canteen: August 2023.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
RAE Bedford

RAE Bedford was established in 1946. It was designed to be a hub for aircraft experimental development work. At the time it was described as “the finest research and development establishment outside the United States”.
Former RAF Thurleigh was selected as the base for the new venture. During construction, the original runway was increased in length to allow certain pre-production aircraft to be tested on site. The runway sits at around 10,500 feet long and 300 feet wide.
Its currently used by Cazoo as vehicle storage. I believe it is also used to store a lot of the old cars from the government's bullshit Scrappage Scheme implemented back in 2009. Most of those vehicles are now highly desirable classics, and worth a lot more than the £2000 that the owners got for them at the time.
A link road was also built. Using an old country road which ran from the main runway at RAE Bedford to the wind tunnel testing site featured in this report. The road was never properly finished. Looking on maps, you can see where the end nearest the wind tunnel site was started, leading onto Old Milton Road, but it doesn’t seem to go any further.

I assume the wind tunnel testing site was built on an old camp ground or land associated with RAF Thurleigh. Couldn’t find any concrete information on it.

The site was decommissioned In February 1994 and officially closed in March 1994. Due to the cost and impracticality of relocating the Advanced Flight Simulator system, the site retained some of its development work under the QuinteQ brand. In early 2007, QuinteQ sold their remaining stake of the Bedford site, and so finished the sites' association with military aviation.

The Explore

This report is compiled of photos taken over two trips, The first being with @Mikeymutt and Man Gone Wrong. The second being with @dansgas1000 and, again, @Mikeymutt

There are cameras on poles which the security guard told us were active, but we shall get onto that little story shortly.

The first visit was uneventful. We dropped in on the way back from exploring a big factory site. We checked out the 3x3, spent a good few hours there and then were done. Me and Mikey then walked around the 8x8 checking for any opening as he has wanted to see it for about 8 years now but has never been successful. We didn’t find any open doors so left it and went home.
A week later, I heard through the grapevine that the 8x8 was indeed open, perhaps me and Mikey were being daft and didn’t try the a way which was supposedly open or maybe it just wasn’t open at that time. So me, Mikey and Dan all arranged between us to go and check out the 8x8 the next Saturday.
Again, we arrived, drove in and parked up, made a B-Line for the 8x8, all excited to finally see it. Sure enough, the way in was correct, we all slipped in and started shooting. Spending probably around 3 hours inside, I'm pretty sure Dan was having a wank in the main control room as he was in that bit for the best part of an hour. Don’t think I've ever seen him so happy in a place before.

We finished up in the 8x8, decided to check out the canteen which is often overlooked. Not much to see there but a couple of nice photo opportunities. Then before leaving, we walked past the 3x3, Mikey has just pruchased a new 8mm lens for his camera and wanted to do a couple more shots inside the 3x3. We also came across a couple of other people inside the control room, we had a nice chat with them. Turns out they are well established on Instagram with over 20,000 followers between them. Nice pair, not your typical gooney Instagram explorers but genuinely nice people.

Then it took a bit of a turn. Looking on maps, we wanted to have a look at a couple of other buildings on site. Walking to them meant passing the Childrens Playhouse. A couple of people were lingering outside but thought nothing of it really. Just stick your heads down and walk quickly! Then in the distance I heard “Excused me!” in that typical Karen voice. We stopped, turned and looked at her. “Could I ask what you are doing here please!?” All three of us just stood there staring at her gormlessly, nobody said a word. I think she was confused. Then the other two explorers walked past, and she shouted the same to them. They both shrugged their shoulders, again saying nothing. At this point the woman was absolutely bewildered as to why these five people are just stood staring at her saying nothing. “Im going to have to call security” she huffed. We slowly walked back to where we were parked. “How did you get in?” was another question she fired at us. Expecting for us to confess to jumping over a gate or cutting a hole in the fence. Mikey says “Security let us in, we drove onto the site!” This properly took the wind out of her sails. She calls security and warns us “he can be very grumpy and blunt but ignore it, he's ok really, it's just the way he comes across”

Security came dawdling around the corner in his little smashed up silver Peugeot 207. He got out and separated us three to the other two. He walked us over to the car. Expecting the full bag check, photographs etc but instead he gathers us all round and quietly mumbles something along the lines of “Come on guys, you're making me do work. She called me and I don’t wanna be out here. You're making me look bad” we have a laugh and a joke, he then proceeds to pat Mikey on the back and walks off. He was the best security guard I have ever dealt with, he did not give a single fuck. Think he was more pissed off at the Karen who made him do work.

8x8 Building

Now onto the photographs. Starting with the bit everyone wants to see. It’s becoming a bit of a ‘tourist hotspot’ at the moment, but you can understand why. The power is still on in most of the rooms, including the main control room which makes it a pleasure to photograph. The main hall is beautiful too, shame the circular fan thing has been removed from the wall and is now on the floor but at least it's still there. This building was apparently used for some kind of filming hence the floors are fairly new. One of the ladders I climbed did have a delivery note on it addressed to a production company.

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

Stunning gauges

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

That's the money shot!

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

The smaller, gloomier control room

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

CONTINUED

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
3x3 Building

The 3x3 has the best decay for sure. This is probably the most explored building at Bedford. It's usually easily accessible and makes for fantastic photographs. The control panel obviously isn't as nice as that seen in the 8x8 but has a certain charm to it.

IMG_2302.jpg

Taking this shot, I was right in view of the Playhouse

IMG_2300.jpg

Some sort of electricity substation room upstairs

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

Upstairs, the floor was so bad up here

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

CONTINUED

Last edited:

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Canteen

The last part we looked at was the canteen. Not much can be found on this, @KPUrban_ done a great report on back in 2020 where he covered most of the history of it which I've linked here.
Report - - Miller's Café/Canteen (RAE Bedford), Thurleigh, June 2020 | Other Sites

In brief, it was constructed in around 1956 and was used for social events as well as a dining hall for workers of the site and their families. Its most likely was closed in 1994, along with the rest of the site. The building is still used today for police dog training. The power is still on, and the water still runs. There is loads of dog hair laying on the floors in various rooms. Every door has claw marks on them from where training has taken place. It's not the most interesting building but was worth a look. Sadly, I forgot to get externals but if you really want to see some, there are are some in KP’s report.

IMG_2304.jpg

Awesome foliage in here

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

Mikey got excited seeing these lovely overgrown toilets

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Awesome stuff, I'm bewildered as to why I still haven't been here.

Also as an aside, I have an identical Babcock & Wilcox sign to the one attached to the gantry crane which I chanced upon for a bargain price at an autojumble last year. Was never sure if it was from a massive boiler or a gantry crane but there's the answer.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Awesome stuff, I'm bewildered as to why I still haven't been here.

Also as an aside, I have an identical Babcock & Wilcox sign to the one attached to the gantry crane which I chanced upon for a bargain price at an autojumble last year. Was never sure if it was from a massive boiler or a gantry crane but there's the answer.
Now is the time to go! Strike while the irons hot and all that.

That's pretty cool. I love seeing old signs at places. We all commented on how nice the sign was. Them two actually went up there. I stayed on terrafirma.

373082138_693621405485947_3590885752835310179_n.jpg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fantastic set of photos. I like those 1:1 shots they work well, I remember saying you were going to try them for the portraits. Shame I never saw the little electrical room up top as that looked nice. I prefer the 8x8 in terms of things to see but the decay in the 3x3 really is beautiful. It was a great couple of visits and I'm glad to finally tick it off the bucket list, it took us long enough haha.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fantastic set of photos. I like those 1:1 shots they work well, I remember saying you were going to try them for the portraits. Shame I never saw the little electrical room up top as that looked nice. I prefer the 8x8 in terms of things to see but the decay in the 3x3 really is beautiful. It was a great couple of visits and I'm glad to finally tick it off the bucket list, it took us long enough haha.
Thanks. I enjoy the 1x1 shots! Sadly not all portraits are applicable but it's nice when they do work. Yeah about 5 years after initial attempt ahah

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Really good work on this.
It's surprising how much more there is to the 3x3 Lab now people have got through some of the locked doors. The little leccy substation stuff is very interesting.
Really liking the final shot you got of the 8x8 facility, tried something similar but failed miserably.

The 13x9 lab was an interesting one as well, even after the fire.

A little note for the history, the Windtunnels were built on what used to be Twinwoods Farm.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really good work on this.
It's surprising how much more there is to the 3x3 Lab now people have got through some of the locked doors. The little leccy substation stuff is very interesting.
Really liking the final shot you got of the 8x8 facility, tried something similar but failed miserably.

The 13x9 lab was an interesting one as well, even after the fire.

A little note for the history, the Windtunnels were built on what used to be Twinwoods Farm.
Thank you. I know its been covered a lot recently but haven't seen the canteen featured for a while (since your report I think) I really liked the little substation but it was a bitch to photograph.

Oh yeah I've just read your report and see that it was built on Twinwoods farm!

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Nicely covered and some great images, wouldn't mind another look around the wind tunnel building, must be 10 years ago since I did and my pics were proper shonky.

Who has read this thread (Total: 199) View details