real time web analytics
Report - - RAE Bedford 3x3 & RAF Thurleigh Camp - July 2023 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAE Bedford 3x3 & RAF Thurleigh Camp - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That’s a cracking report. Any joy with the other large building on site ? Heard it as getting a make over ?

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
This place is nothing new so I won't overdo the history. Thanks to a non-forum explorer for alerting me that it was still doable - haven't seen it done in some time. Thought it would be worth a repost both for an update and so I can share my shots! Thought I'd throw the RAF Thurleigh camp in as an extra as it was a bit naff to post by itself.

RAE BEDFORD 3X3 WIND TUNNEL

THE HISTORY

The site began to the far south of RAF Thurleigh; a WW2 airfield situated to the north. The airfield itself became part of the wider RAE Bedford site and was expanded/upgraded for the flying of post-war aircraft on larger runways. Presumably, the wind tunnel site developed from a dispersed camp for the airfield given its distance from the main site, or was constructed in previously open land. The facility was chosen as an expansion of the work initially carried out at RAE Farnborough, with RAE meaning Royal Aircraft Establishment, renamed to Royal Aerospace Establishment in 1988 and then merging into the Defence Research Agency in 1991. Unlike the RAF, the RAE was a military branch of the Government concerned with innovating aircraft technology, and hence primarily worked in developing and testing new hardware and designs. Prior to WW2, the RAE worked at Farnborough to develop things like ways to land aircraft on carriers, or airships, but after WW2 became concerned largely with jet engines. The Farnborough site expanded with NGTE Pyestock purely for developing turbines and jet engines, whilst RAE Bedford was concerned more-generally with experimental aircraft development.

Numerous facilities were built at the site, including several large office buildings, a canteen, a 3x3 wind tunnel building, 8x8 wind tunnel building (the largest), 13x9 low speed building still with tunnel used by Red Bull, and a a Vertical Spinning Tunnel (VST) apparently still used for indoor skydiving although it looked pretty derelict. That would be a great one to see done. The site was decommissioned in 1994 and has gradually been repurposed as Twinwoods Business Park. Only a few years ago the northernmost building, I believe a large office block, caught fire and has been demolished, but the rest seems like it will stay for a while.

Capture - Copy.JPG

The 3x3 wind tunnel building in 1954

THE EXPLORE

We began by taking a walk around the perimeter, not wanting to risk the rather formal-looking security checkpoint into the business park. First, we ventured onto a few fields before heading towards what appeared on Google Maps as a 'pet crematorium'. It looked pretty abandoned and there was no sign of any free grub, but we tried our best to avoid it given that the access track here led to both an ambulance depot and an immigration centre. Walking sheepishly through many more fields, we were suddenly greeted by a not-so-distant tractor as we passed a hedge. Suddenly panic mode was on as there's nothing worse than an irate landowner, so we hid for a moment to let it move behind cover before carrying on swiftly in full view. We thankfully made it to a footpath which happened to lead round the rest of the site. Peering into the immigration centre's razor-wire perimeter, we knew we'd overshot our entry area. An hour later, we essentially had done a full loop all the way back to the opposite side of where we started where we finally found a fairly easy entry only 5 mins away.

Upon walking into the site, our suspicions were quickly relaxed when we found the business park to be quite public. Various cars were driving around paying us little attention and workers of various businesses were, well minding their own business. There was even a children's play centre. We realised we didn't have to be too sneaky and walked directly to the building we aimed for. We soon found an entry point and went straight in. Inside, it's clear it has gone downhill since earlier reports on here. There's some nice decay and colours, plus some interesting lighting from the skylights, but it is now quite a grim place. Whilst I bought a respirator with me, classically I didn't bother wearing it when I probably should have. Nothing screams unhealthy more than 1950s military facility taken over by pigeons. We then took a few external shots, had a little look at the 8x8 facility before dodging a worker, and then left via the main gate.

RAEBedford (1 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (2 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (3 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (4 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (5 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (6 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (7 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (8 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (9 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (10 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (11 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (12 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (13 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (14 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (15 of 26).jpg

Of course the control room was the best bit. However, don't be fooled by a bit of careful tripod bracketing, it was still pretty gloomy and 'orrible in here. It has certainly decayed a lot. Two points to ponder about control rooms: how comes they always use a light green/blue colour, and they always seem to have skylights even if electric lighting was an option. Here it looks like additional lighting was added later.

RAEBedford (16 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (17 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (19 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (20 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (21 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (22 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (23 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (24 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (25 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (26 of 26).jpg
From maps I thought it was on a secure site had it pinned a while definitely need to go check this out Amazing pics as always mate

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely covered. There was (quite recently) access through the fence just a few hundred yards from where u can park so the lengthy walk not req, but as u say if u just say you are going to one of the businesses can normally get in.

The control tower haras fence has been up a while but the yellow things are new.

Incidentally u know bodyflight indoor skydiving / surfing is also closed. I welded the fan support steel for the vertical wind tunnel many years ago, its a really cool structure has submarine esq doors round the tunnel so that would make a good explore if it ever becomes accessible.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The camp is still there. But was partially being used by horse people when we looked.

this one, its really good but yes the minage is right one side & a lived in house the other so have to be a bit careful there

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User

this one, its really good but yes the minage is right one side & a lived in house the other so have to be a bit careful there
Yeah that’s the one. My mates were too nervous to try it ha ha. I remember it had a load of radio gear in it. Must have been about four years ago we looked.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
I defeintely need to try this again as never managed to get in for one reason or another.
I'm now in that state of mind where I want this thread to go away - so that idiots dont come and ruin it. Anyone else know that feeling haha - Oh well ,I just bumped it to the top again.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
I defeintely need to try this again as never managed to get in for one reason or another.
I'm now in that state of mind where I want this thread to go away - so that idiots dont come and ruin it. Anyone else know that feeling haha - Oh well ,I just bumped it to the top again.
Lol I do know the feeling. As much as that's always the risk it's already in a very bad way.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User

Very nice not seen that before.

Nicely covered. There was (quite recently) access through the fence just a few hundred yards from where u can park so the lengthy walk not req, but as u say if u just say you are going to one of the businesses can normally get in.

The control tower haras fence has been up a while but the yellow things are new.

Incidentally u know bodyflight indoor skydiving / surfing is also closed. I welded the fan support steel for the vertical wind tunnel many years ago, its a really cool structure has submarine esq doors round the tunnel so that would make a good explore if it ever becomes accessible.

Thanks. Yeah sounds about similar now. As said I did think the indoor skydiving tower looked very derelict so had my suspicions. Sounds cool, would love to see someone manage it.

Who has read this thread (Total: 193) View details