real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Bawdsey R3 rotor bunker, Suffolk - April-August 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Bawdsey R3 rotor bunker, Suffolk - April-August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited Bawdsey for the first time back in April and then in August on a mini tour. First thing i want to say is that the pikeys have been in and started to strip the place, which is a massive shame. Visited first with BigBadAsh and then as part of our two day mini tour ( http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...Grain-battery-tower-cliffe-fort-kent-aug-2014 ) with BBA, JP76 and non member Thrifty. This was the last of the three sites which we visited, all different but all three brilliant in there own way
The bunker is enormous and still has stuff to see down there. On entering the bunker you feel like you're in some post apocalyptic movie, ( well i did anyway:) ) as you descend the fifty foot staircase to the first of two levels. It must have been a buzzing place down there in its heyday. We spent so long down there on our first visit, that it was dark when we emerged and on our return visit it was pissing down with rain, so didn't get to have a good look round above ground, which was a massive disappointment.
As i said at the start , someone has been in with some serious cutting tools and started to get all the copper that they can lay there hands on. That said, this is a fantastic site and hopefully it won't get trashed
Thanks Troglodyte for the heads up

HISTORY

The site of Bawdsey radar station built in the early 1950s as part of the Rotor programme to modernise the United Kingdom's radar defences. This was a replacement station for the Chain Home station at Bawdsey (see HOB UID 1309533), located to the south of this site. The Rotor station was fitted with a Type 7 Mark 3 radar head for local search and control, two Type 14 (Mark 8 and Mark 9) plan positioning radar heads, four Type 13 Mark 6 and two Type 13 Mark 7 height finder radar heads, and three Type 54 Mark 3 radar heads for search and control with no IFF (Identification Friend or Foe). The radar heads were mounted on plinths and 25 feet gantries, apart from the Type 54 arrays that were mounted on 200 feet towers. The site was equipped with a guardhouse designed to resemble a bungalow, which gave access to a two-storey, underground R3 operations block. The R3 bunker was completed in 1954. Newly developed Type 80 radar and its associated modulator building was installed in 1958, with two AN/FPS 6 height finding radars. By 1963 Bawdsey had become a Master Radar Station, but in June 1964 it switched to operating as a satellite station to RAF Neatishead. It resumed Master Radar Station status in 1966 until 1974, after a fire damaged Neatishead's control centre. Bawdsey closed in 1975 and in 1977 features of the Rotor station were demolished, including plinths, towers and the Type 80 modulator building. In 1979 Bawdsey reopened as a Bloodhound Mk2 surface to air (SAM) missile site (see HOB UID 1309161). The guardhouse also remains in derelict condition, and is still attached to the R3 bunker via an access tunnel. The R3 bunker is disused and has been sealed shut.

PICTURES

bawdsey_zps6f423556.jpg

bawdsey15_zpsaf9cdd4b.jpg

bawdsey1_zps9897bd62.jpg

bawdsey2_zps6027d2a0.jpg

bawdsey6_zpseda8cfcb.jpg

bawdsey4_zps358deb8b.jpg

bawdsey5_zps6a8a9afc.jpg

bawdsey8_zps04ea0a3b.jpg

bawdsey14_zps2c849574.jpg

bawdsey7_zps5c81bc4c.jpg

bawdsey3_zps1e7950a0.jpg

bawdsey2_zpse892f01e.jpg

bawdsey3_zpsa447db3b.jpg

bawdsey1_zpsdb0789a6.jpg

Thanks for looking:thumb

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User
Re: Raf bawdsey r3 rotor bunker-suffolk -april-august 2014

Liking that a lot. Hoping it doesn't get totally trashed.

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Re: Raf bawdsey r3 rotor bunker-suffolk -april-august 2014

Looks a massive place, cheers for posting up

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Sweet report that mate, really like the silhouette shots. This place has got to be one of my favs, really shame about the pikeys though.

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sweet report that mate, really like the silhouette shots. This place has got to be one of my favs, really shame about the pikeys though.

Thanks Altair. I hope because of the restricted access, they won't do much damage down there and i agree with you, its one of my favorites too:)

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details