real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Eye Sewage Works..Suffolk, August 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Eye Sewage Works..Suffolk, August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Over all the World War Two sites I have visited I have not seen a complete sewage works. Knowing that RAF Eye had one I was keen to see it. I had it pinned down to a few possibilities but not totally sure. I gave in and asked a friend who does historical research on World War Two airfields. He confirmed it was one of the three spots I had narrowed down. A small trek to it and I was at the old road to the site. It was quite an impressive set up, it consists of a pump house which just a big tank, a tool shed, filtrations beds, sludge drying beds and a destructor shed. The system of sewage disposal is not a lot different today, in fact some of the old sewage works have been taken on by the water board. looking around the site I tried to get a picture of how it works. I think the system works by the sewage being taken to the sludge beds by pipes from the domestic sites and other sites. This is poured into the filtration beds. This would filter the raw sewage which would be fed in the sludge drying beds. When this is dry it would be taken to the destructor sheds and burnt with other combustible materials.
RAF Eye was a former RAF base designated number 134 and was given to the US airforce for use with heavy bombers. It was even constructed by US army’s own engineers. It was one of the last to be built within that area and was completed in December 1943 And became operational in May 1944. At the end of the war the US handed the airfield back to the Air Ministry. It was then used as an active station till it was finally sold in the early 60s. The site is now a very extensive industrial estate which sits on the airfield itself. The runways, taxiways and lots of buildings remain. But most have been repurposed for other uses. I don't think any of this site has been reported surprisingly and one I have not been too before either.

So we have the former entrance road to the site.

IMG_6478.jpeg

IMG_6479.jpeg

The sludge filtration beds are quite an impressive size and a lot of bricks have been used in its construction.

IMG_6480.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg

One of the holes for feeeding the beds.

IMG_6482.jpeg

IMG_6484.jpeg

IMG_6485.jpeg

Quite a bit of the old pipework exsidts.

IMG_6486.jpeg

IMG_6487.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

Heading over to the drying beds. I counted eight of these in varying sizes and design.

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

IMG_6492.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

IMG_6494.jpeg

IMG_6495.jpeg

Overflow channel.

IMG_6496.jpeg

Destructor shed and pump house.

IMG_6497.jpeg

IMG_6498.jpeg

IMG_6499.jpeg

Tool shed.

IMG_6501.jpeg

Whilst here I thought I would hunt out a few other bits that attracted my attention. Starting with the old ambulance shed and mortuary. This was part of the sick quarters situated on the far edge of the domestic site.

IMG_6502.jpeg

A Stanton shelter.

IMG_6503.jpeg

IMG_6504.jpeg

IMG_6505.jpeg

And last is this spigot mortar. These can be found quite regular but not complete like this. They are normally filled in with just the top of the concrete showing with the stainless pin. A Blacker Bombard anti tank weapon would be sat on top. The concrete bases were constructed by the royal engineers and they had small chambers for housing ammo. These were dotted around everywhere and mainly further south and east and manned by the home guard. This one at Eye was one of five and part of a perimeter defence for the airfield. This one is situated near a small river so that would guard the water as well I guess. I think several more in Eye are still about and in the same condition as this one. Originally they would have looked something like this.

Home_Guard_soldiers_operate_a_%27Blacker_Bombard%27_spigot_mortar_during_training_at_No._3_GHQ...jpg

IMG_6507.jpeg

IMG_6508.jpeg

IMG_6509.jpeg

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great find mate. I didn't even know this existed and it's not far from me at all. Nice pics and not as overgrown as one would have thought. Looking forward to having a wander around here.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great find mate. I didn't even know this existed and it's not far from me at all. Nice pics and not as overgrown as one would have thought. Looking forward to having a wander around here.
Cheers matey. Yeah pleased seeing this one. It's very close to you. Definatley worth popping in to see.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice report - the less glamorous but (in my view) more interesting side of the WW2 explores is seeing how these site actually functioned
Thank you. Yeah everyone thinks runways, control towers, hangars etc. But without the infrastructure none of this could have existed. I like these things as well as no one bothers with them.