real time web analytics
Report - - Record Ridgeway Sheffield 29/9/2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Record Ridgeway Sheffield 29/9/2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

spoonface

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The history of Sheffield’s former William Ridgway Tools factory (also known as Parkway Works) is a complicated one. It used to manufacture augers, bits, wood-boring and motorising tools. It was originally founded in 1878 and soon became a private company in 1909. The current building was constructed some time in the 1930s. William Ridgway Tools merged with Record Tools in 1972 to form Record Ridgway Tools Ltd. Record were a fellow Sheffield company with a reputation for producing quality clamps, wrenches, vices and cutters. They were set up by Charles J Hampton with the help of his two sons in the early 1900s having fallen out with his brother Joseph in 1898.

The enlarged company now consisted of 14 UK Companies with 5 overseas companies. A second merger with Marples who Ridgway had earlier purchased an equal 50% in in 1962 along with Record ensued. Marples, a woodwork tools company, resulted in the company changing its name to Record Marples Tools. Record Marples was itself taken over by the Swedish hardware manufacturer AB Bahco in 1982. A management three years later in 1985 returned the company to British ownership. However, the company struggled financially and went into administration in 1998. It was then acquired by US-based Irwin Tools in 1998 but was closed down soon after as the American owners moved production to China.

After seeing this building on my many trips down Netherthorpe road I thought a little reccy was due. whilst i walked through town i decided to have a look to see if the old court was available and to my delight it was. a few hours later i left and carried on my main mission.

upon arrival i saw a lovely looking gentleman dressed in his private army gear (G4S) and decided to beeline away from the building and have a walk around. on my second loop, to my delight he had gone. Seeing my way in, i grabbed a chair and hopped over the wall. which was real easy. walking through the thick woodland on the other side i finally made it inside.
apart from the cool graffiti and rubbish there is tonnes of bird shit on the upper levels so a mask is well adised.

here are a few pictures, not really worthy but i wanted to get my first post out of the way.

None the less i hope you enjoy

Looking over the jungle
DSC_0086_zpsxofqi4tm.jpg
[/URL]

Obligatory Phlegm
DSC_0001_zpsipl65hyz.jpg
[/URL]

Plenty of locker space
DSC_0050_zpsdrejhp8h.jpg
[/URL]

DSC_0065_zpsgvzaoqa0.jpg
[/URL]

DSC_0055_zpsh64bjhws.jpg
[/URL]
The Beautiful Ginger
30012414675_742b6b6a9f_m.jpg

My Man K

29384573884_26e064e566_m.jpg

An old Mckee?

29385645773_e48db2fbea_b.jpg

Coloquix?

29978282306_ce33e7e717_b.jpg

Last edited:

spoonface

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
so i have tried posting images through photo bucket and following the advise page but to no luck. any pointers?