real time web analytics
Report - - St Ann's Hospital, Tottenham - February 2024 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Ann's Hospital, Tottenham - February 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User

Capture.JPG

Google Earth 3D view of the south-western end of the site (the original Victorian section) which looks quite different now works have begun.

THE HISTORY

St. Ann’s was originally built by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as the North Eastern Fever Hospital when it opened in 1829, treating patients of fever and diptheria. The admin block was constructed from 1898 and the laundry added a year later. Before lurkers start plastering ‘asylum’ around, no it was not a mental hospital, the word simply meaning ‘place of sanctuary’ without the ‘lunatic’ designation attached. When the Metropolitan Asylums Board ceased in 1929, it was taken over by London County Council, before joining the NHS in 1948. It was renamed St. Ann’s General Hospital in 1951. More recently, it came under Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust in 2001. Recently, works have begun on demolishing the disused end of the hospital site, for construction of none other than homes by Peabody. This is set to convert a few Victorian buildings, although most will likely go.

1901 Plan.JPG

This 1901 plan of the hospital shows its layout. The three surviving original blocks were the Diphtheria and Enteric Blocks, which we got into the south-western two of but not the one beyond. The other block which existed on the north side of the outdoor corridor was demolished, as were the two smaller isolation blocks either side of it. The laundry still existed but we didn’t make it inside, keen to avoid passing sensors and cameras. The administrative block also had been sadly mostly demolished, including what appeared to have been a central hall, although the front end of the admin block did survive and was very original in places albeit mostly stripped. The plan shows the eastern end (left-hand side) to have originally been a temporary scarlet fever facility, I’d assume of wooden huts demolished soon after. This was replaced by the current hospital which appears to have been built somewhere in the 1930s-1950s sort of period; of which the western end is disused, but the rest still active.

Further good information on the hospital on this website: The MAB North Eastern Hospital, Tottenham

THE EXPLORE

Back last year, or maybe it was 2022, @KismetJ sent over this hospital to me. It was clearly partially disused to some degree, and of classic old Victorian hospital design. We took our time to get to it in the end, and sadly struck just a little too late. We first took a look at the site in January, identifying our method of entry as the sun was setting. We then returned recently to get the job done with @KPUrban_. We had no idea if the buildings themselves would be accessible or what we’d see, as it hasn’t been reported before except for the mortuary at the opposite active end. After making it in via our intended entry point, we were greeted with several perimeter defences including motion sensors and cameras. Skirting around them, we finally reached the first ward block in the far corner after walking through the obscenely muddy building site.

StAnnsTottenham-18.jpg

The water tower

StAnnsTottenham-19.jpg

The outdoor corridor, with the demo sites of the fourth d&e block and two isolation blocks left.

StAnnsTottenham-20.jpg

The two far diphtheria and enteric (typhoid) blocks we accessed. Two very Victorian diseases.

We were excited to be inside, but it was fairly well stripped, with signs of works and bagged up parquet flooring. Having said that, it was somewhat fairly original looking. The designs of these blocks was pretty simple, with a single open dorm at the end of each floor and smaller rooms in front.

StAnnsTottenham-3.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-1.jpg

The ground floor dormitory

StAnnsTottenham-5.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-17.jpg

The staircases left of the entrances were probably the best bit, and gladly a little asylum-esque.

StAnnsTottenham-8.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-10.jpg

Cheeky staircase panorama. Loved the stone steps.
StAnnsTottenham-7.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-11.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-14.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-15.jpg

The second floor dormitory

429559206_413912104490323_1975030020984167807_n.jpg

@mockney reject sent me this picture of what looks like the same room c.2020 prior to being stripped. Gutted we left it just a bit too late.

StAnnsTottenham-16.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-12.jpg

The second block along was in a similar state, also stripped. It turned out to be heavily modernised which was a bit of a disappointment.

StAnnsTottenham-6.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-22.jpg

Lift extension.

StAnnsTottenham-24.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-25.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-26.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-28.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-27.jpg

Overlooking the third easternmost block - we found this sealed.

StAnnsTottenham-29.jpg

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Continuing along the corridor...

StAnnsTottenham-30.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-33.jpg

The small building on the left we thought may have been another mortuary due to its tiles, but it seems it was a receiving block.

StAnnsTottenham-32.jpg

After finding the third block sealed up, we took a walk over to a small workshop/stores building which seemed somewhat original but not massively interesting.

StAnnsTottenham-35.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-39.jpg

Opposite was the more modern boiler house, which we also found sealed but were able to take a nice shot of the boilers through some broken glass. There was also a generator room still smelling of diesel.

StAnnsTottenham-42.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-37.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-34.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-40.jpg

A gorgeous old set of scales.

We were then in a bit of a dilemma as to how to continue. There was the disused newer section of the hospital ahead, but this was protected by a road covered in sensors and cameras. The laundry building also would’ve risked the same fate. All that unfortunately seemed to be left was the front part of the admin building, with the hall and other sections sadly recently levelled.

StAnnsTottenham-43.jpg

Looking towards what was left of the admin building, standing on the site of the demolished other end.

What was left of the admin building was pretty bare, but had some really nice wooden panelling and basic old furnishings. Below was the western end.

StAnnsTottenham-46.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-51.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-44.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-48.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-49.jpg

Moving upstairs, we crossed the building to reach the eastern end. The upstairs was stripped bare.

StAnnsTottenham-52.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-54.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-53.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-56.jpg

The stairs down into the eastern end of the admin section. I bet it was brilliant before it was stripped, as this bit appeared to not have been repainted in almost a century judging by the brown colour. I mean I could be wrong, but who's going to paint a hospital brown these days. Alright, the 70s, but apart from that?

StAnnsTottenham-59.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-60.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-62.jpg

Lovely banister and panelling.

StAnnsTottenham-64.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-63.jpg

Old bathroom

StAnnsTottenham-68.jpg

StAnnsTottenham-65.jpg

Main lobby, with entrance right.

StAnnsTottenham-69.jpg

At the end of the explore, we had a look at the mortuary amongst the active side. Unfortunately there was no feasible way in, but it’s been well-documented before. I managed to get a rather rough photo through the window, and the slab was visible but a yellowed perspex fume hood blocking the view made for a pretty poor picture.

StAnnsTottenham-70.jpg

So that was pretty much our explore. There were a few more smaller buildings over towards the front end of the building site, but the site office is at that end. So definitely some room for more discovery - mainly the third large block, the laundry, and the disused section of the newer hospital building to the east.

Apart from these bits, we saw a fair chunk of what little is left and it was a bit underwhelming. Don't be fooled, this is definitely one of those where the photographs are at best the highlights reel. Still, it scratched the itch to know what was within. With its blue outdoor corridors, I describe it as 'Heatherwood Lite'. I didn't bother putting in NP and its going rapidly anyway. I’d be interested to see some less recent shots of this place if anyone did it and hasn’t posted.
Thanks all :brew

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Quality write up and images.

on another note, why am i standing like I've shit myself in half the photos.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Quality write up and images.

on another note, why am i standing like I've shit myself in half the photos.
Nah you're alright mate, I always think the same but that's just how candid shots come out most of the time. Can assure you you didn't look as though you'd shit yourself irl :lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a cracker of a report. Lovely old og bits everywhere and lovely chimneys too :thumb Someone has taken a lot of time to save all that Paquet.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report mate and covered well. Definitely some nice remaining bits left. We had a half attempted look when we looked at the morgue.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another cracking hospital report. Nicely done mate. Love the boiler house and backup generator/engine. Nice to see that old set of scales too!

Who has read this thread (Total: 240) View details