real time web analytics
Report - - St. Peters Seminary, Cardross, Scotland - Nov 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Peters Seminary, Cardross, Scotland - Nov 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
This place is a true OG-era urbex icon that needs little introduction. For many years I've seen it featured in books and articles and even the excellent 2007 film 'Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness'. Whilst on a Scotland roadtrip this year I finally got the chance to check out this controversial place for myself. Like it or hate it, it could be the 'marmite' of abandoned architecture and has secured it's position as a legend regardless.

The History

The history is covered in full in many places online but here is a brief introduction. The seminary was designed and constructed in the 1960s by two Glasgow-based architecture students who became responsible for several other significant modernist designs. It was a training school for priests and the untraditional design of the building was designed to let plenty of light in and generate contrast between light and shadow. However, the amount of interest in priesthood was declining at the time meaning the demand was lacking, and the building rapidly faced structural problems including water ingress. By the 1980s it had shut and soon became disused. It became a listed building for its ground-breaking Modernist design - more specifically Brutalism, and as a result cannot be demolished. Given the state of the building and the obscene cost it would take to restore, it lies today decaying as a sort of intentional ruin.

1200.jpg

The Explore

Well there's not a whole lot to say about this one other than we got there, walked around, it was chucking it down with rain, and generally a very chill explore. We did see various other visitors around but for the most part it was quiet.

FB_IMG_1673722404734.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722278286.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722373380.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722323628.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722399532.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722397058.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722378163.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722368082.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722357438.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722352563.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722329162.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722326197.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722296092.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722280641.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722320235.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722323628.jpg

Finally a few 35mm film shots I took on Ilford XP2 I made into a collage.

Collage4-scaled.jpg

And a few portrait shots including one of the famous Headless Explorer of Cardross. Be careful if you see him about.

FB_IMG_1673722343193~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722408417.jpg

FB_IMG_1673722392457.jpg

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice take on the place. I really enjoyed my visit here. Bu5 it was a far nicer day. It’s such a photogenic place for a shell.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Nice take on the place. I really enjoyed my visit here. Bu5 it was a far nicer day. It’s such a photogenic place for a shell.
Yeah I think I'd like to go back in better weather and just wander without focusing on the photos, quite an immersive place but was hard to get too invested with rain dripping everywhere haha

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report of a brutalist icon. A very brave design this one, but one I really enjoy. I like all the shots but particularly enjoy the internals with the reflections etc. It's on my bucket list!

Wastelandr

Regular User
Nicely done, I especially like the overview shot just above the b&w 35mm shots. One day I'd like to see this, shame it so far up from me.

Cheers! Yeah it was a very long way from me too, did a roadtrip across Glasgow and Edinburgh so fitted it in amongst that

Wastelandr

Regular User
Nice report of a brutalist icon. A very brave design this one, but one I really enjoy. I like all the shots but particularly enjoy the internals with the reflections etc. It's on my bucket list!
Thanks, hard to get the lighting right as doing HDR shots can kill the contrast between the light and dark if youre not careful. Love or hate the style, its an unusual building and an entertaining mooch!

Wastelandr

Regular User
Cheers yeah love that 'rage against the dying of the light' graffiti, very fitting

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks, hard to get the lighting right as doing HDR shots can kill the contrast between the light and dark if youre not careful. Love or hate the style, its an unusual building and an entertaining mooch!
Completely agree, I do HDR stacking for almost all of my shots and you have to be pretty careful with it, but you've processed them perfectly in my opinion!

Wastelandr

Regular User
Completely agree, I do HDR stacking for almost all of my shots and you have to be pretty careful with it, but you've processed them perfectly in my opinion!
It is worth doing for anything with a window in I find. Really appreciate that cheers, can be hard to get perspective on your own shots when you've been staring at em all day!

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 215) View details