real time web analytics
Report - - Stannington Sanatorium Boiler House, Northumberland - April 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stannington Sanatorium Boiler House, Northumberland - April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
First of all, I’d like to say thanks to admin for organising such a great meet last Saturday. I enjoyed it from start to finish, met some great people, and had some excellent conversations. The after-party was unexpected and bloody brilliant.

As me and Jake were already going to the meet (3 hours North from us) it made sense to do a trip further up North while we were at it, heading up the west coast towards Glasgow and then across to the east near the England/Scotland border, finishing at Northumberland before heading back home. We had some good luck, and some bad but in the end we covered a nice array of places (and no, they were not all pump houses!). The Stannington boiler house is something I have wanted to see for years now since seeing Mikey’s report years ago, we had no idea if it was still there but to our delight it was, and it was accessible albeit a bit of a squeeze.

Information & History
Stannington Sanatorium was a children's tuberculosis sanatorium which opened in 1907 in Northumberland. It opened with 50 beds but later expanded thanks to high demand and some large donations. Stannington was the first TB sanatorium to open in the UK specifically for Children. The NHS took over the sanatorium in 1948 and was later converted to a general children’s hospital. With advancements in pharmaceutical treatment such as antibiotics the tuberculosis operations at the site declined. The hospital closed in 1984 and was later demolished.

The boiler house itself provided the sanatorium with heating and hot water. It dodged demolition and still sits in a decayed state. The building houses two boilers which were supplied by Oldbury-based Edwin Danks & Company Ltd. Edwin Danks was founded in 1868 and began its life supplying tanks for local brickworks. Around a decade later, the company expanded its offerings and began manufacturing boilers for larger clients.

oldbury.jpg

The Explore
This one was pretty easy and chilled out. It did involve doing a bit of crawling around to get in but this wasn’t overly difficult. We were initially disappointed to find that part of the boiler house is now being used to store various tat from a nearby farm activity centre such as Christmas decorations and signs, this made getting the overview shots a little more challenging and we had to get a bit creative to avoid getting the storage items in the shots.

Photos

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

15.jpg

3.jpg

14.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Thanks for looking!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice to see this again. I'd totally forgotten it existed.
Me too to be honest! I had it pinned and when planning the trip I came across it again so thought I'd give it a shot despite not seeing it for a few years, I'm so glad I did. Shame we didn't get a chance to chat at the meet, hopefully next time!

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Introduction
First of all, I’d like to say thanks to admin for organising such a great meet last Saturday. I enjoyed it from start to finish, met some great people, and had some excellent conversations. The after-party was unexpected and bloody brilliant.

As me and Jake were already going to the meet (3 hours North from us) it made sense to do a trip further up North while we were at it, heading up the west coast towards Glasgow and then across to the east near the England/Scotland border, finishing at Northumberland before heading back home. We had some good luck, and some bad but in the end we covered a nice array of places (and no, they were not all pump houses!). The Stannington boiler house is something I have wanted to see for years now since seeing Mikey’s report years ago, we had no idea if it was still there but to our delight it was, and it was accessible albeit a bit of a squeeze.

Information & History
Stannington Sanatorium was a children's tuberculosis sanatorium which opened in 1907 in Northumberland. It opened with 50 beds but later expanded thanks to high demand and some large donations. Stannington was the first TB sanatorium to open in the UK specifically for Children. The NHS took over the sanatorium in 1948 and was later converted to a general children’s hospital. With advancements in pharmaceutical treatment such as antibiotics the tuberculosis operations at the site declined. The hospital closed in 1984 and was later demolished.

The boiler house itself provided the sanatorium with heating and hot water. It dodged demolition and still sits in a decayed state. The building houses two boilers which were supplied by Oldbury-based Edwin Danks & Company Ltd. Edwin Danks was founded in 1868 and began its life supplying tanks for local brickworks. Around a decade later, the company expanded its offerings and began manufacturing boilers for larger clients.

oldbury.jpg

The Explore
This one was pretty easy and chilled out. It did involve doing a bit of crawling around to get in but this wasn’t overly difficult. We were initially disappointed to find that part of the boiler house is now being used to store various tat from a nearby farm activity centre such as Christmas decorations and signs, this made getting the overview shots a little more challenging and we had to get a bit creative to avoid getting the storage items in the shots.

Photos

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

15.jpg

3.jpg

14.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Those boilers are beautiful, love the photos and as Jake said that diagram is really interesting

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Those shots are perfect! I like the old boiler diagram you included, that's cool
Cheers, yeah I found that on an Oldbury history site and thought I'd add it for good measure.

Those boilers are beautiful, love the photos and as Jake said that diagram is really interesting
Cheers, I love those old diagrams and advertisements of these types of industrial companies.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Blimey I forgot about this one. It was a nice one indeed, I remember it being a squeeze as well I think. Nice to see it’s still not trashed. Did you see the water tower further back.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Blimey I forgot about this one. It was a nice one indeed, I remember it being a squeeze as well I think. Nice to see it’s still not trashed. Did you see the water tower further back.
No we didn't see the water tower as we were rushing around as usual, I did see reference to it in another post but haven't seen any pics.

Yeah the boiler house is still in great condition, shame about the storage items laying around, I wasn't able to do a couple of angles:

IMG_0787-HDR.jpg

Lovely stuff, do like a large lancashire type boiler
Agreed, always nice to see!

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Interesting. I bought a sign down the road from there the other week and we stopped off for a look but was hella busy with people outside for some reason. Looked like they had done some development around it since it was first on the bus.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's lovely mate nice one
Cheers mate.

Interesting. I bought a sign down the road from there the other week and we stopped off for a look but was hella busy with people outside for some reason. Looked like they had done some development around it since it was first on the bus.
Yeah, it seemed a little strange there with the things inside being stored. There was also a small shed at the front called the Tipsy Cabin which sells drinks and snacks, and to the left was a new walkway so there's definitely some sort of business operating on and around the site. There was no one around when we went so I guess we timed it right.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great report, a very photogenic place. Does make you wonder what the rest of the sanatorium was like. Also I love that you always include the old product adverts in your reports, they always bring it to life a bit

tez111

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's the water tower there, in the woods behind the boiler house. The business at the site is Whitehouse farm, big kids play area with lodges nd animals

Cheers mate.

Yeah, it seemed a little strange there with the things inside being stored. There was also a small shed at the front called the Tipsy Cabin which sells drinks and snacks, and to the left was a new walkway so there's definitely some sort of business operating on and around the site. There was no one around when we went so I guess we timed it right.
FB_IMG_1713608953927.jpg