real time web analytics
Tonedale Mill and Tone works, Wellington - July 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Tonedale Mill and Tone works, Wellington - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A bit of an older report, but it’s prob my favourite place I have visited still. I love the old machinery that dotted the dye house., and the scale of the main mill, the boiler house being the highlight. I remember seeing Mooksters pics at the time and got in contact with him, it was when we first become friends on social media. He was really helpful with tips and that even though he did not really know me. I try to repay that faith since with tip offs when I can, and even met up a few times. So we planned a trip down to it, it’s five hours for us to get here. So we set off about one in the morning and arrived early. We done the main mill first and spent the morning there. We then moved on to the dye house and spent the afternoon inside. After we were done we went to the nearby premier inn what we had booked for the night, and went for a two for one meal at the restaurant. The weather was gorgeous both days and we done Carmel college coming home, was such a good exploring weekend.

Tonedale mill was the largest mill in the south west of England. The production of fabric there was started in 1790, with fabric produced for many customers including the British army. The factory has operated using water, steam and electric power over the years. We could still see the places were it was powered by water. At its peak the mill employed 3600 people and churning out 6,500 metres of material a day. With changes in production of fabric the mill was deemed not viable and most left to abandonment. Several proposals have been put forward for regeneration of the complex, but nothing has happened yet.
Down the road is the Tone Works, which is the dye and finishing works, This site used water wheels originally to power the machinery, and you can still see the water courses. The water was also used for the dye and treated as it came in for use through a reservoir and sluice gates. I don’t think you will see anything like this again here. It was literally like walking in an abandoned museum, and should be saved. Recent pics show that they have cleared all the overgrowth away, so maybe they are finally doing something with it.

The main mill.

IMG_6815.jpeg

IMG_6816.jpeg

IMG_6817.jpeg

IMG_6818.jpeg

IMG_6819.jpeg

IMG_6820.jpeg

IMG_6821.jpeg

IMG_6822.jpeg

IMG_6823.jpeg

IMG_6824.jpeg

IMG_6825.jpeg

IMG_6826.jpeg

IMG_6827.jpeg

IMG_6828.jpeg

The dye house.

IMG_6829.jpeg

IMG_6830.jpeg

IMG_6831.jpeg

IMG_6832.jpeg

IMG_6833.jpeg

IMG_6834.jpeg

IMG_6835.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

IMG_6837.jpeg

IMG_6838.jpeg

IMG_6839.jpeg

IMG_6840.jpeg

IMG_6841.jpeg

IMG_6842.jpeg

IMG_6843.jpeg

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Genuinely one of my favourite places in the country, I never tire of shooting it or seeing it.

The floors in the main mill are getting in a pretty bad way now especially compared with 2015 times.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Genuinely one of my favourite places in the country, I never tire of shooting it or seeing it.

The floors in the main mill are getting in a pretty bad way now especially compared with 2015 times.
Just some places you definitely do not get bored of seeing. This is definitely one of them, and one I wished I could go back too. I got so many photos from the two sites. Ha ha I can imagine them floors are really dodgy now.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Cracking shots, nice to see you going into the backlog and I do like the edits on these. Only 3 years before I went myself, time flies.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cracking shots, nice to see you going into the backlog and I do like the edits on these. Only 3 years before I went myself, time flies.
Cheers mate. Always nice to pop in now and again. I did have to re edit these ones. It sure does fly by, don't seem a minute ago, but still one of the best exploring weekends I have had.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Cheers mate. Always nice to pop in now and again. I did have to re edit these ones. It sure does fly by, don't seem a minute ago, but still one of the best exploring weekends I have had.
Yeah, how many more places there were to see then that are now gone :face. I wanna go back to tonedale to get some proper shots but it's so far!