real time web analytics
What kit should you have for urbexing and exploring tunnels. | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

What kit should you have for urbexing and exploring tunnels.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Aussieurbexing

28DL Member
28DL Member
Recently ive been looking to make myself a urbex/tunnel kit, but I'm not sure what I need and how I can get it. Any help would be appreciated because id rather be safe than sorry when I go exploring.
I also think that I might need a carbon monoxide detector, what should I do about that? Thanks.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Unless you're doing some really off-the-cuff mines or sewers, then any form of gas detector is unnecessary. If you're really worried about what you're breathing in then some form of P3 rated dust mask is about as hardy as you may want to go. Get yourself a pair of gloves, some decent footwear and if you're underground then a reliable torch or two. Anything else is going to depend on what tunnels you're aiming for.

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Recently ive been looking to make myself a urbex/tunnel kit, but I'm not sure what I need and how I can get it. Any help would be appreciated because id rather be safe than sorry when I go exploring.
I also think that I might need a carbon monoxide detector, what should I do about that? Thanks.
Some good gloves (mechanixwear have good ones), p3 respirator JSP is best, solid boots and guts
Biggest thing down there is the spiders for me, I refuse to go near them

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
Depending what tunnel, id recommend a good pair o' waders. Vass is a great brand, not cheap but theyre bloody good and comfy. Get a decent, long lasting torch, for caving Id recommend something like a Fenix HM70r, very good and long lasting battery. Hand held torches are also good for photography, get yourself something like the Olight Marauder Mini (it has different colours too for fancy shots :<3 ). Most importantly you need a gas meter. Air quality in tunnels is pretty unpredictable. And an obvious one: Some decent gloves, multiple pairs!

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
To even entertain the idea of taking a gas detector anywhere you need to know what gas you're actually watching out for (CO2, H2S, CH4, CO), what can cause such gases to be there, and what symptoms of excessive exposure can feel like.

You're not going to find hydrogen sulphide down a cave, for example, and you're unlikely to find methane in an asylum cable tunnel. You may find pockets of CO2 underground at certain times of the year when atmospheric conditions mean it can't escape, but that fluctuates.

Having a 4 gas meter with up to date calibration is one hell of an expensive outlay, and likely entirely overkill. (You're looking £100 for a single gas detector, £400+ for a 4 gas). Personally I've not seen them be worth the expense.

You're much better off investing in decent lighting and a heap of beers to take with you.

Aussieurbexing

28DL Member
28DL Member
To even entertain the idea of taking a gas detector anywhere you need to know what gas you're actually watching out for (CO2, H2S, CH4, CO), what can cause such gases to be there, and what symptoms of excessive exposure can feel like.

You're not going to find hydrogen sulphide down a cave, for example, and you're unlikely to find methane in an asylum cable tunnel. You may find pockets of CO2 underground at certain times of the year when atmospheric conditions mean it can't escape, but that fluctuates.

Having a 4 gas meter with up to date calibration is one hell of an expensive outlay, and likely entirely overkill. (You're looking £100 for a single gas detector, £400+ for a 4 gas). Personally I've not seen them be worth the expense.

You're much better off investing in decent lighting and a heap of beers to take with you.
Yeah mate ive got some decent torches, I was looking 4 gas metres and jesus they cost a lot over here ( Over 500$) so I reckon ill just get some decent gumboots and Masks.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As above replies it really depends what tunnels you intend to go in.
Id say No 1 is a helmet, they are not expensive & even if its drains with little chance of falling debris you can easily knock your head.
Head torch makes things 100 times easier but you can do most stuff with hand held.
Personally I think waders are a waste of time & make moving difficult (though I dont do drains so may feel different in sewerage) I use wet suit socks & accept that Im getting wet.
For the same reason walking boots are often better than wellies cos u just end up emptying them every few mins, its quite common for mine explorers to drill holes in their wellies.
Oversuit if you are concerned about ruining clothes & gloves though I usually end up taking the latter off in 10 min.
u may need a kit bag & darren drum if you are doing really wet stuff (or just get a £150 Ulefone, best thing I own :D )

Most importantly do your research, others have mentioned 4x gas monitor (5x is really the one to have as 4x dosent check the silent killer) but these can be thousands, if you know the type of tunnel / mine you are entering 95% of them dont require one

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Mines helmets are pretty much a must because you're pretty much guaranteed to whack your head at some point. Gad detectors aren't really needed unless you hear something about that mine beforehand, just do your research.