real time web analytics
Report - - Whittingham Hospital, August 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whittingham Hospital, August 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

happycat_ishappy

28DL Member
28DL Member
Semi failed, but fun visit this one.

Quick bit of history - but from what I've heard from friends who worked there before it closed - it was quite an unpleasant place, especially for single mums:

The hospital was founded in 1869 and grew to be the largest mental hospital in Britain, and pioneered the use of electroencephalograms (EEGs). During its time it had its own church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, reservoirs, gas works, brewery, orchestra, brass band, ballroom and butchers.[1] It closed in 1995.

Also, interesting three part doc on YouTube:

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

We went a fortnight ago but as we're new to UE, we weren't sure how to both get to the entrance we’d found (I managed to get in and got a few internal pics, but didn't hang around solo for too long) so after coming up with, and testing, a few different ideas, last night we came back prepared (ish).

As soon as we got on site, we heard a loud crash from within the nearest building so hung back for a bit to see if it continued - which it didn't, so set off to find the entrance we'd found earlier.

Once there, we spent a good while trying to get in - but kept getting distracted by sounds in the woods and we struggled to get to where we needed to be - the missus won't kill me for saying, but when she started to have a panic attack perched on a lintel - we thought we were maybe pushing our luck.

Good timing though as we heard a gate open and a white van drive into the perimeter so ducked behind a wall and held back for a while, then decided to wander back the way we came - straight into two security guards.

They were the nicest guys, walking us back to open the gate we came through while chatting about the problems they've been having with some major theft at from the part of the hospital still open – so police are all over the site at the moment.

They were telling us how they've had kids throwing slates at them from the roof, so they’re on guard a bit more now and the building is basically a death trap. They also explained what they’re building at the rear of the hospital (which we’d passed on the way in) which is going to be a bat house to move the bats from the building before they start to clear it out.

Finally, they showed us a much easier way across the fields back to the car – helping us avoid most of the cow poop.

Pics (mostly from the first attempt when I did get inside for a few rooms):

DSC02683_zps533a73bd.jpg

DSC02688_zpsb63f7a9d.jpg

DSC_0086_zps3981fe57.jpg

DSC02691_zps23a05249.jpg

DSC02704_zps0735d812.jpg

DSC02689_zps7435f6b7.jpg

DSC02696_zps1081c3a6.jpg

DSC02699_zpsd3ac3ce1.jpg

DSC02949_zps171c7c8d.jpg

DSC02715_zps9ce96d1a.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details