real time web analytics
Report - - World War 1 Pilot memorials - Dollymans Farm Wickford, Essex - 2020/2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - World War 1 Pilot memorials - Dollymans Farm Wickford, Essex - 2020/2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ExplorinWithAustin&Thomas

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Afternoon all, This is my first Report, apologies for the quality of the photos, they were taken on phones that were not known for there camera quality :)

This is the site of two Memorials dedicated to two downed World war 2 Pilots we discovered while Geocaching a couple of years ago.

HISTORY

Alexander Bruce Kynoch of 37 Squadron, joined the RFC in 1916.

He left Stow Maries Airfield on the night of 7th March 1918 in a BE12 C3208 in search of a reported lone raider heading for London.

Captain Henry Stroud of 61 Squadron based at Rochford took off about the same time in SE5a B679

Many planes had been grounded that night because of the weather.

The aircraft collided in the darkness and fell into a field on Dollymans Farm

The two memorials were originally placed on site with two nine foot crosses by the then landowner, Mr. W.W. Wilson, a gentleman farmer. An Officer from 37 (HD) Squadron flew down soon afterwards and landed at the farm, bringing with him a small memorial to be placed at the foot of Kynoch's memorial. We think that over the passage of time, this memorial was later placed at the base of Strouds memorial. The parents of both airmen visited the respective crash sites, and wrote very moving letters to Mr. Wilson thanking him for his kindness and consideration towards the earthly remains of their respective sons.

Later as time progressed two more fashionable memorials appeared which were paid for by the parents.

Captain Stroud is buried in the churchyard of St Andrews Church in Rochford and Captain Kynochs grave, is in the Victorian part of North Finchley cemetery.

THE EXPLORE

In 2019 my Son Thomas and I were very much into GeoCaching, basically it's searching for containers using clues and an app with the GPS co-ordinates.
We would spend a lot of time at weekends trying out places nearby to us and working out further each week.

This Particular week would take us to a location named Dollyman's Farm in Wickford, our Map would show that there were 4 Geocaches to find in a walk called 'Henry's loop'

cache1.JPG

We parked up and started walking when we bumped into the lady who created this set of Cache's, I asked her whether 'Henry' was named after her dog, she explained it was named after Henry Clifford Stroud, an airman who had come down in the field and that we would come across the memorial on our walk. We were intrigued at this point :)

dollyman.JPG

This the basic loop which takes you round a public footpath right up to the memorials:-

dollyman2.JPG

Henry Clifford Strouds Memorial

Dollyman3.JPG

Alexander Bruce Kynoch's Memorial

As we started our walk, we quickly got the first Geocache and made our way past a fishing lake and then past a railway bridge to the second Cache.

We were wondering what we were looking for when Thomas ran off up the field and we came across the memorial for Henry Clifford Stroud

IMAG1185.jpg

First Memorial taken end of 2019

IMG_20210503_120629752_HDR.jpg

On another visit to capture some more photos;

IMAG1187.jpg

Close up of Clifford's Memorial

IMG_20210503_120731423_HDR.jpg

The propeller is a nice touch :)

IMG_20210503_120618766.jpg

A sign right next it showing the Pilots...

We then made our way over to the location of the second Pilot's memorial - Alexander Bruce Kynoch

IMG_20210503_124014572.jpg

IMG_20210503_124412896.jpg

IMG_20210503_124427712.jpg

IMG_20211230_111634696.jpg

I think it was this point where Thomas started to become interested in History being able to see stuff like this up close and then reading up about the pilots made it very interesting.

This is just a short report, please let me know if I haven't filled it in correctly and I'll revise it.

Thanks

Austin

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Off to a good start there! It may not be big but pretty interesting to think the memorials themselves date back to the 1920s before the road was built. I'd never have known about this if you guys didn't find it given that it's in the middle of nowhere.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Decent first report that, cheers for sharing :thumb
Cheers Gronk 👍😄
Off to a good start there! It may not be big but pretty interesting to think the memorials themselves date back to the 1920s before the road was built. I'd never have known about this if you guys didn't find it given that it's in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks! It's true we would never have found it without the Geocaching taking us to the remote places that it did and yes it would have been fields and farmland all those years ago which makes the survival of the Memorials quite a miracle considering the roads are so close 👍

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Welcome welcome welcome. Nice 1st. You got the format spot on. Many dont. And have to revise their reports. Looks an interesting adventure. Ive read and watched a bit about Geocaching. Seen some weird finds. But this one is very historical and these memorials are for remembrance, and thats exactly whats happened here. Thank you for sharing this lovely experience with us. :thumb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome welcome welcome. Nice 1st. You got the format spot on. Many dont. And have to revise their reports. Looks an interesting adventure. Ive read and watched a bit about Geocaching. Seen some weird finds. But this one is very historical and these memorials are for remembrance, and thats exactly whats happened here. Thank you for sharing this lovely experience with us. :thumb
Thanks for looking 🙂 We found some interesting Geocaches over the years, one was a puzzle box which had to be solved to gain entry, also an ammo can hidden inside a tree trunk, but like you say this one stated as a regular walk and ended up as a great little discovery 🙂.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
I suppose it was obvious I was going to jump aboard this thread. Tracking down crash sites with extant wreckage in the hills has been a hobby of mine for a few years now and to date have found over a 100 with wreckage. During the lockdown I spent a long time compiling a database of all aircraft crash sites in the UK with either extant wreckage or some form of memorial. Just looking at that database now: it totals 885 sites of which 381 are with wreckage (and almost certainly in the hills) and 504 are just sites marked by some form of memorial (mostly lowland sites). This one is in the database; this is what I had written of it:

ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY B.E.12 C3208, DOLLYMAN'S FARM, SHOTGATE, ESSEX (grid reference with-held)

On the night of the 7th March 1918 this aircraft of 37 Squadron left Stow Maries in search of a reported lone raider heading for London. At about the same time S.E.5a B679 of 61 Squadron left Rochford. Many sorties had been grounded that night because of the weather. These two aircraft collided in the darkness and fell into a field on Dollyman's Farm killing the two pilots. The two memorials were originally placed on site with two nine foot crosses by the then landowner farmer Mr. W. Wilson. A clause was written into the title deeds of the farm that if sold the two pieces of land where the memorials stand should forever remain the property of the farmer. As time progressed two more fashionable memorials appeared which were paid for by the parents.

I have it as one of 21 marked sites in Essex.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I suppose it was obvious I was going to jump aboard this thread. Tracking down crash sites with extant wreckage in the hills has been a hobby of mine for a few years now and to date have found over a 100 with wreckage. During the lockdown I spent a long time compiling a database of all aircraft crash sites in the UK with either extant wreckage or some form of memorial. Just looking at that database now: it totals 885 sites of which 381 are with wreckage (and almost certainly in the hills) and 504 are just sites marked by some form of memorial (mostly lowland sites). This one is in the database; this is what I had written of it:

ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY B.E.12 C3208, DOLLYMAN'S FARM, SHOTGATE, ESSEX (grid reference with-held)

On the night of the 7th March 1918 this aircraft of 37 Squadron left Stow Maries in search of a reported lone raider heading for London. At about the same time S.E.5a B679 of 61 Squadron left Rochford. Many sorties had been grounded that night because of the weather. These two aircraft collided in the darkness and fell into a field on Dollyman's Farm killing the two pilots. The two memorials were originally placed on site with two nine foot crosses by the then landowner farmer Mr. W. Wilson. A clause was written into the title deeds of the farm that if sold the two pieces of land where the memorials stand should forever remain the property of the farmer. As time progressed two more fashionable memorials appeared which were paid for by the parents.

I have it as one of 21 marked sites in Essex.
That's another very interesting hobby, Do you know about a German plane that was rumoured to have come down in the war near Burnham on crouch near the minefield control tower? Someone mentioned it to me a while back.

Austin

mickeyaitch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Afternoon all, This is my first Report, apologies for the quality of the photos, they were taken on phones that were not known for there camera quality :)

This is the site of two Memorials dedicated to two downed World war 2 Pilots we discovered while Geocaching a couple of years ago.

HISTORY

Alexander Bruce Kynoch of 37 Squadron, joined the RFC in 1916.

He left Stow Maries Airfield on the night of 7th March 1918 in a BE12 C3208 in search of a reported lone raider heading for London.

Captain Henry Stroud of 61 Squadron based at Rochford took off about the same time in SE5a B679

Many planes had been grounded that night because of the weather.

The aircraft collided in the darkness and fell into a field on Dollymans Farm

The two memorials were originally placed on site with two nine foot crosses by the then landowner, Mr. W.W. Wilson, a gentleman farmer. An Officer from 37 (HD) Squadron flew down soon afterwards and landed at the farm, bringing with him a small memorial to be placed at the foot of Kynoch's memorial. We think that over the passage of time, this memorial was later placed at the base of Strouds memorial. The parents of both airmen visited the respective crash sites, and wrote very moving letters to Mr. Wilson thanking him for his kindness and consideration towards the earthly remains of their respective sons.

Later as time progressed two more fashionable memorials appeared which were paid for by the parents.

Captain Stroud is buried in the churchyard of St Andrews Church in Rochford and Captain Kynochs grave, is in the Victorian part of North Finchley cemetery.

THE EXPLORE

In 2019 my Son Thomas and I were very much into GeoCaching, basically it's searching for containers using clues and an app with the GPS co-ordinates.
We would spend a lot of time at weekends trying out places nearby to us and working out further each week.

This Particular week would take us to a location named Dollyman's Farm in Wickford, our Map would show that there were 4 Geocaches to find in a walk called 'Henry's loop'

cache1.JPG

We parked up and started walking when we bumped into the lady who created this set of Cache's, I asked her whether 'Henry' was named after her dog, she explained it was named after Henry Clifford Stroud, an airman who had come down in the field and that we would come across the memorial on our walk. We were intrigued at this point :)

dollyman.JPG

This the basic loop which takes you round a public footpath right up to the memorials:-

dollyman2.JPG

Henry Clifford Strouds Memorial

Dollyman3.JPG

Alexander Bruce Kynoch's Memorial

As we started our walk, we quickly got the first Geocache and made our way past a fishing lake and then past a railway bridge to the second Cache.

We were wondering what we were looking for when Thomas ran off up the field and we came across the memorial for Henry Clifford Stroud

IMAG1185.jpg

First Memorial taken end of 2019

IMG_20210503_120629752_HDR.jpg

On another visit to capture some more photos;

IMAG1187.jpg

Close up of Clifford's Memorial

IMG_20210503_120731423_HDR.jpg

The propeller is a nice touch :)

IMG_20210503_120618766.jpg

A sign right next it showing the Pilots...

We then made our way over to the location of the second Pilot's memorial - Alexander Bruce Kynoch

IMG_20210503_124014572.jpg

IMG_20210503_124412896.jpg

IMG_20210503_124427712.jpg

IMG_20211230_111634696.jpg

I think it was this point where Thomas started to become interested in History being able to see stuff like this up close and then reading up about the pilots made it very interesting.

This is just a short report, please let me know if I haven't filled it in correctly and I'll revise it.

Thanks

Austin
Hi,
Useful link for you maybe?