real time web analytics
Report - - 29 Nov 2015 - Brunel Lodge | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 29 Nov 2015 - Brunel Lodge

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ipplepen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My first posting of a visit. This is an old psychiatric unit located in Devon. Looks as if it was vacated without much care at all. Very much open and easy to access. Be discrete though else security will no doubt remove you from site. I think the hospital has been closed for 3 or 4 years.

Signage clearly states keep out.

Ivy Croft

DSCF6874_Creativedd392.jpg

A day room

DSCF6826_Painterly315021.jpg

Nurses office
DSCF6831_Creative8cdd5.jpg

Bath time
DSCF6841_Creativec0bd0.jpg

Keeping you out
DSCF6840_Creativea7eb5.jpg

Last poster on the board
DSCF683235d1d.jpg

Nursing station
DSCF6856_Soft7fdf3.jpg

Ready for Xmas
DSCF6833_Creativea58e0.jpg

Not the first!
DSCF6876_Balanced3781e.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mmmm where to start ?

You need to add some History of the place in the report. As per all the other reports on the Forum.

Also we don"t do the over processed/surreal/eyes bleeding pics that some Forums accept .....but you wouldn"t know that bit yet ;)

Apart from that well done & get yourself introduced in the "New Members" section

Urbexbandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My eyes do hurt a little. You have no reason to do that to your pics, they would be OK without the HDR.
Nice little find though :thumb

T

The Queen

No Trolling here please.
Hi @ipplepen, Welcome to the forum- as has been said, HDR/ overly processed pics do not really go down well on this forum- we would much rather see your photos true to life. Good effort on getting out there though, I look forward to seeing what else you get up to :thumb

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great start and well done for getting out their, my fav shot is the graffiti, proper old school style pity it's not finished….get back out there and come back with more reports..drop the HDR too, most people here hate it.

ipplepen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for all the very helpful comments. For the sake of balance here is some more:

Situation: " HEALTH bosses have confirmed that an under-threat mental health unit in Newton Abbot will close. Devon Partnership NHS Trust has announced the 16-bed Brunel Lodge, in Old Totnes Road, will close on Tuesday, September 6, 2011 with patients and staff transferring to Torbay Hospital's Beech unit following a £1.5million refurbishment. The trust says Brunel Lodge is no longer fit for purpose and the state-of-the-art Beech unit will provide the highest standards of care for those with dementia and mental health problems. The future of the inpatient unit, built on the site of the old Wolborough Street hospital, has been under the microscope since 2004".

Background: Brunel Lodge was a small scale old style hospital that provided inpatient care for the elderly and people with a severe learning disability. It's closure came shortly after a damning report by the CQC into the design and layout or the property and the lack of reassurance that care could be delivered to male and female patients in separate area. At time of closure it was run by Devon Partnership NHS Trust.

Assessment: Entry to the site is easy with a simple hope required over a low stone to gain entry to the site. It is immediately apparent that others have visited before you. There is significant evidence of vandalism and removal and abandonment of equipment. The hospital is made of four separate units with one property appearing to be significantly older that the rest (circa 1920's?). Majority of windows are boarded and the interior is extremely dark.

Recommendations: Worth a visit if you enjoy decay, rubbish and vandalism. Some medical equipment left in place but most items of interest have been removed. Caution required as floors missing in places creating significant hazards.

DSCF6845.RAFc04bb.md.jpg

Insides turned outside

DSCF6851.RAF04dad.md.jpg

This is the day room - graffiti and wall paper details further on

DSCF6852.RAFb58a1.md.jpg

Last resident took on last look out of the window?

DSCF6842.RAFd5d9c.md.jpg

Major bathing contraption - 1970's spa bath I think!

DSCF6854.RAF73afb.md.jpg

Improved lighting

DSCF6855.RAFb69e9.md.jpg

Not the nicest language

DSCF6856.RAF1cfc9.md.jpg

The nursing station - hope the residents did not do this!

DSCF6861.RAF141c5.md.jpg

DSCF686393639.md.jpg

An Occupational therapy project I think

DSCF6873.RAFaabc6.md.jpg

The old house

DSCF6874.RAF14bbb.md.jpg

DSCF6815bdc29.md.jpg

A welcoming message!

DSCF6875.RAF5dd2a.md.jpg

Old skool

DSCF681735d70.md.jpg

First aid and washing

DSCF68216e8c7.md.jpg

A game left unplayed.

DSCF6827cbc36.md.jpg

Mould in another sitting area

DSCF6828f03b8.md.jpg

DSCF683368706.md.jpg

DSCF68342a248.md.jpg

The next few images explore one of the nursing offices

DSCF68306f364.md.jpg
DSCF68163b58f.md.jpg
DSCF683137158.md.jpg

DSCF683885247.md.jpg

You can't knock a good man down...

HollyCPhoto

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Dude some of these images are alright but knock down the clarity all it does is make your images that are alright look crappy and cheap :) looks like a good place though!

iitsalex98

28DL Member
28DL Member
this place is no longer standing, went there last weekend to take some photos and all thats left is the foundations