real time web analytics
Report - - A late West Park report. Oct 09 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - A late West Park report. Oct 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Flubbera87

L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N
28DL Full Member
Yes ! I know, Im just following the craze ! :thumb

I have been meaning to post this report earlier, but due to that I have just moved house, I don’t have the internet yet. (So im using it at work, during lunch break of Corse)

This was my first Hospital explore and thanks to begood and his missus for tagging along (or should I say thanks for putting up with me)

The day started out good, only took me 30mins to drive to Epsom. (Saturday traffic YES) Got there and had a call from begood to say running late (missus make-up + time + we all know what its like) so I decided to go for a stroll around the ponds..
Anyway considering that the weekend previous I had police problems down in Hellingly, I was shocked at how easy it was to gain access!

For my first hospital explore, it was great!
Journey home was crap (M25 Saturday afternoon traffic NO)

Wee bit of history. Again.

West Park is the eleventh and last great insane's hospital deserving London. Located in Epsom, it was built between 1912 and 1914 and opened in 1921.
This asylum was a real independent village. Isolated in the greater London suburbs, it accommodated up to 2000 patients in the 1960's.
The hospital is built on a model imported from the USA: lot of smaller buildings, mainly patient wards, all connected together through closed corridors crossing the gardens to prevent any escape attempt.
"Care in the Community": this Margaret Thatcher's policy marked the closing down of many asylums all over the country.
Many patients were set free and allowed to go back home, or wherever they may go.
West Park Mental Institute was one of them, and from 2000 patients in the 60's, the hospital emptied little by little, to definitely close its doors mid of the 1990's.
The abandoned asylum was then only visited by nostalgic patients, urban explorers.

On with the show.

Doors.jpg

Newstyleroofwindow.jpg

MyfavoutoffocusFP.jpg

Chairshot.jpg

Lampshade.jpg

Boldcolour.jpg

2parts1picture.jpg

Horders.jpg

View.jpg

Throughtheglass.jpg

View2.jpg