real time web analytics
Report - - A little bit of Lock Stock - Manchester - Sept 09 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - A little bit of Lock Stock - Manchester - Sept 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

toothdoctor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After a few hints, and a lot of pouring over maps, myself and ConcreteJungle set out to find our way into this beast

Popping some very dodgy lids around Manchester on a saturday afternoon and pretending to mark things off on the "clipboard" was fun.

Alas, we didn't make it into what is traditionally known as lock stock but we did find another part of it- A walkway chamber with 2 HUGE penstocks

It's an absolute beast of a sewer with 2x 10ft brick pipes running in parallel packed with some of Manchester's finest rapid flowing nuggets.

You will have to excuse the quality of the pictures!

3915272578_9fc5c53202.jpg

3915290868_43fde37b08.jpg

3915274024_c6e78e5c52.jpg

Now to find the other section...!

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
very nice, will have to get down there sometime.

Pics look fine, not many of them, but better to have a few quality shots than thousands of pants shots

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You've captured it really well mate, good work! The water in the first pic looks quite serene, in contrast to the reality which was mega flowage! Those penstocks and running gear were something else, everything was so rusted I do wonder if they still work. You've certainly got the pics covered, heres a couple of mine:

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Great day, comedy lid poppin and all!

LittleMike

Do. Find. Drains.
28DL Full Member
Wow, what a corker! Looks sort of like Packin' Heat 2, another point at which they can control the flow between the 2 outfall sewers? Wonder if there are any more.

Edit: btw did you notice if any of the penstocks have marker numbers? Packin' Heat has p6-9, it seems the numbers get lower the closer you get to the treatment works. Would be nice to find p1!

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks for the comments! Yeah we figured the setup was to divert the flow down one sewer or the other. I don't remember seeing any marker numbers, but have seen in other drains so good to know what it means. If p1 is where I imagine it to be its pretty much got its own guard!

LittleMike

Do. Find. Drains.
28DL Full Member
Looking at photos I've come up with this. Seems Manchester might still have a few tricks up her sleeve ;)

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 - Lock Stock (?)
5 -
6 - Packin' Heat
7 - Packin' Heat
8 - Packin' Heat
9 - Packin' Heat
10 - Hulme Flume
11 - Hulme Flume
12 - Hulme Flume
13 -
14 - HFLB
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 -
24 -
25 -
26 -
27 -
28 -
29 -
30 -
31 -
32 -
33 -
34 -
35 -
36 -
37 - The Works

toothdoctor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is interesting! (does that mean it needs a name?)

I didn't take note of any numbers but I can tell you it wasn't far from the treatment works (which smells worse than any sewer I've been in.... if you have driven into it like we did lol). There was one set of suspicious buildings (the word pump may have been written on one of them ;)) a lot closer to the works, but the lids were locked up. Using our cars as barriers was jokes though

Didn't you get some pics of the controls CJ? Are the numbers on there?

and the meet? I already have my outfit planned!

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The entire area stank of it, I genuinely feel bad for the people of the nearby estate.

IMG_1332.jpg

The other control didn't have anything either, the penstock numbers are interesting indeed!

Cheers userscott, thats sounds epic, hook me up!

Lazlo

28DL Member
28DL Member
These pics are a little further down stream, this ain't lock Stock, infact verging more on 'two smoking barrels'.. ;)

You two are weapons and a credit to the lid lifters round this way.

Excellent use of weapon there!! It's contagious!

Love the pictures! :thumb

xxx