real time web analytics
Question - - AA defence post Z10 London | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - AA defence post Z10 London

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

lockbox

28DL Member
28DL Member
This was a WW2 AA battery situated on Wormwood Scrubbs West London demolished in the 60s. I am looking for any information, pics, layout plans etc.
Grateful for any useful input.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Manned by 158 Battery of 53rd (City of London) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery, perhaps a visit to the Public Records Office my bring up a few pictures:

From Wiki

The regiment was embodied on 5 August 1939 and occupied gun positions in parks and open ground around London: 157 Bty at Southwark Park and Brockley in south-east London and at Gunnersbury Park and Hurlingham Park in west London; 158 Bty at Hyde Park and Wormwood Scrubs, with its HQ at Fairlop and also occupying various sites in Essex east of London; 159 Bty with HQ at Finsbury Park and sites at Friern Barnet in north London. In early September, elements of 88 AA Regiment took over 157 Bty's positions and the battery moved to Bramley, Surrey where it came under 5 AA Division. Thus the regiment was fully deployed when war was declared on 3 September.

No pictures I'm sorry to say, but I have some interest with 159 Battery of the same regiment when it moved to Bramley, the site of one of the major Ordnance Ammunition Depots.

Airfix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
According to Dobinson' s AA Command book this site was designated ZW10 he mentions the upgrade to 5.25" guns which were installed in June 1943 and in March 1944 the site was modified with a 'remote' sited Command post because the blast from the 5.25" guns effected the operation of the site based Command post .

I've attached a view taken in 1945 from Google Earth when it was clearly not a post war retained site as it shows it demolished then. And a OS map view after 1938 which shows the domestic site.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• scrubs.jpg
    scrubs.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 20
  • scrubs r.jpg
    scrubs r.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 20