real time web analytics
Report - - ABC Cinema, Southport 4/06 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ABC Cinema, Southport 4/06

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

T

the machine

Southport's last original picture house.

This short history from cinematreasures.org:

The Picture Palace opened on 29th May 1911 with "A Tale of Two Cities". Itwas one of several cinemas in the town which would be designed by local architect George E. Tonge. The exterior of the building was a splendid example of an Edwardian Baroque style. The facade was faced in white tiles and had many windows along its length. There was a highly decorated central dome feature over the entrance. The auditorium ran parallel behind the facade and had a seating capacity for 900. There was a cafe which was located on the first floor which ran the length of the building, hence the need for many windows on the facade.

In 1929 the Palace closed for a major re-construction, again to the designs of architect George E. Tonge. The roof was raised and a balcony was inserted. The former cafe then became the balcony foyer. Seating was now provided for 1,053. It re-opened as the Palace Cinema on 3rd March 1930 with Maurice Chevalier in "Innocents of Paris".

The Palace Cinema became the first independently operated cinema in the UK to screen "Around the World in Eighty Days", which ran for 11 weeks in 1958. It came under the control of the Essoldo chain from March 1971 and was re-named Essoldo, but they were soon taken over by Classic Cinemas chain and it was re-named Classic Cinema in 1972.

Classic's embarked on another modernisation in early 1974 when they converted it into a twin cinema. The former balcony was extended forward and had seating for 400, with the former stalls now a 500 seat cinema. All the work was carried out with loosing a performance, but it did loose its original Neo-Classical style decoration!

It was taken over by the Cannon Group in the 1980's. Later operated by ABC cinemas in a management buy-out, the cinema was closed in January 2003.

It was sacrificed in the name of 'progress' despite the façade being designated a Grade II Listed building and protests from the Cinema Theatre Association, and was demolished in November 2005-January 2006. The Vincent Boutique Hotel has been built on the site, due to open in March 2008.
Contributed by Ken Roe

Another one of Southport s recent architect 'crimes'
DONT YOU LOVE ALDI TESCO SAFEWAY and 5 Star Hotels NOT!
we are losing all the classic ladies and gentlemen.

Its criminal to destroy a building like this.
Just look at the plaster work on the ceilings.

I was lucky to get these shots before they trashed the place.
Anyone want an arc light from the projector let me know.
enjoy the mini piccie tour

the machine

abccinemaSESSION3001.jpg

abccinemaSESSION3009.jpg

abccinemaSESSION3018.jpg

abccinemaSESSION3023.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON120.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON132.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON168.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON185.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON190.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON2026.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON2033.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON2064.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteminolta2006.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteminolta2016.jpg

abscinemaapril2006002.jpg

abscinemaapril2006038.jpg

abscinemaapril2006043.jpg

abscinemaapril2006044.jpg

abscinemaapril2006071.jpg

abscinemaapril2006094.jpg

abscinemaapril2006096.jpg

lornasouthportmansionbridge-mino-2.jpg

lornasouthportmansionbridge-minolta.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON060.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON064.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON073.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON083.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON091.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON113.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON128.jpg

Not all bad, they apparently saved the front façade brickwork. I don't know where it has ended up though. I saw them packing it into crates, whether this was the demo crew cashing in or a genuine request from English Heritage I don't know. What I do know is they trashed another Southport gem and put a hotel made of glass there, for people who can waste £200 a night. Jokers.

A short film on you tube here:

Granadaman2Q

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Southport's last original picture house.

This short history from cinematreasures.org:

The Picture Palace opened on 29th May 1911 with "A Tale of Two Cities". Itwas one of several cinemas in the town which would be designed by local architect George E. Tonge. The exterior of the building was a splendid example of an Edwardian Baroque style. The facade was faced in white tiles and had many windows along its length. There was a highly decorated central dome feature over the entrance. The auditorium ran parallel behind the facade and had a seating capacity for 900. There was a cafe which was located on the first floor which ran the length of the building, hence the need for many windows on the facade.

In 1929 the Palace closed for a major re-construction, again to the designs of architect George E. Tonge. The roof was raised and a balcony was inserted. The former cafe then became the balcony foyer. Seating was now provided for 1,053. It re-opened as the Palace Cinema on 3rd March 1930 with Maurice Chevalier in "Innocents of Paris".

The Palace Cinema became the first independently operated cinema in the UK to screen "Around the World in Eighty Days", which ran for 11 weeks in 1958. It came under the control of the Essoldo chain from March 1971 and was re-named Essoldo, but they were soon taken over by Classic Cinemas chain and it was re-named Classic Cinema in 1972.

Classic's embarked on another modernisation in early 1974 when they converted it into a twin cinema. The former balcony was extended forward and had seating for 400, with the former stalls now a 500 seat cinema. All the work was carried out with loosing a performance, but it did loose its original Neo-Classical style decoration!

It was taken over by the Cannon Group in the 1980's. Later operated by ABC cinemas in a management buy-out, the cinema was closed in January 2003.

It was sacrificed in the name of 'progress' despite the façade being designated a Grade II Listed building and protests from the Cinema Theatre Association, and was demolished in November 2005-January 2006. The Vincent Boutique Hotel has been built on the site, due to open in March 2008.
Contributed by Ken Roe

Another one of Southport s recent architect 'crimes'
DONT YOU LOVE ALDI TESCO SAFEWAY and 5 Star Hotels NOT!
we are losing all the classic ladies and gentlemen.

Its criminal to destroy a building like this.
Just look at the plaster work on the ceilings.

I was lucky to get these shots before they trashed the place.
Anyone want an arc light from the projector let me know.
enjoy the mini piccie tour

the machine

abccinemaSESSION3001.jpg

abccinemaSESSION3009.jpg

abccinemaSESSION3018.jpg

abccinemaSESSION3023.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON120.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON132.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON168.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON185.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON190.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON2026.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON2033.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteCANON2064.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteminolta2006.jpg

abccinemalaunderetteminolta2016.jpg

abscinemaapril2006002.jpg

abscinemaapril2006038.jpg

abscinemaapril2006043.jpg

abscinemaapril2006044.jpg

abscinemaapril2006071.jpg

abscinemaapril2006094.jpg

abscinemaapril2006096.jpg

lornasouthportmansionbridge-mino-2.jpg

lornasouthportmansionbridge-minolta.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON060.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON064.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON073.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON083.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON091.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON113.jpg

theburscoughcurvesCANNON128.jpg

Not all bad, they apparently saved the front façade brickwork. I don't know where it has ended up though. I saw them packing it into crates, whether this was the demo crew cashing in or a genuine request from English Heritage I don't know. What I do know is they trashed another Southport gem and put a hotel made of glass there, for people who can waste £200 a night. Jokers.

A short film on you tube here:

Yes its a shame how these once fine and proud Palaces of entertainment have ended up . I was not too happy when I learnt that my old Granada Theatre Tooting had gone over to bingo . What a contrast to the highly talented entertainers and entertainment that once brought such enjoyment to the crowds that cued to get to see names that were the best from around the world . My last few concerts there back in the early sixties as a technician were Roy Orbison , Brenda Lee , and the Walker Brothers .
Well as I have often thought , had it not been for the companies behind bingo , that magnificent venue would probably have fallen in the sad state of some of the less fortunate Theatres and Cinemas we see here on this fascinating site . Thank you for sharing your story and photos . Ray .