real time web analytics
Report - - Aberdeen Darkie & The Hole Burn, Aberdeen, Scotland. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Aberdeen Darkie & The Hole Burn, Aberdeen, Scotland.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
This is two trips worth. Both drains are very tidal.
The second trip i caved n booked a hotel, doing one at the 8pm Sunday Low Tide, the other at the 9am Monday Low Tide.

Aberdeen Darkie is the final mile long culvert into wich flows Den Burn and Gilcomston Burn. I call it 'Aberdeen Darkie' after Australian naming conventions whereby a very centralised system earns the name of the City and is called 'Darkie' cos its dark. Its oldest sections were built in 1863 in conjuction with Aberdeen Harbour.

The Hole Burn is the combined flow of the two Ravislaw Burn Inlets. Its 3800m, but i only traversed the lower 1700m cos its all tiny upstream. The oldest sections are from 1870.

Aberdeen Infall. Complete with Flow Sensors, a huge LED Floodlight (to top left) and a dome camera behind me :)

IMG_8926.jpg

200m down, the small right side inlet is Gilcomston Burn.

IMG_8921.jpg

Bridge Chamber just D/S, looking D/S, after a week of rain.

IMG_8920.jpg

Same Chamber, looking U/S, during normal flow.

IMG_8851.jpg

Main Tunnel, Normal Flow.

IMG_8849.jpg

The 'New Bit' Tunnel shrinks and dives under the B986. This is a 300m long concrete section thats 4'8ft tall.
Cunts.
Would loved to have seen what this dirty stoopy concrete shit replaced.

IMG_8919.jpg

After Recovery (of my spine). Under Aberdeen Central Station.

IMG_8917.jpg

The 1863 section. Built when Aberdeen Harbour was created.
https://www.facebook.com/siologen?f...dti=1934410793321996&hc_location=group_dialog
IMG_8915.jpg

Last Bend, Example One.
The tunnel is entirely blackened by tide scum here

IMG_8913.jpg

Last Bend, Example Two.
Cast Iron Poo Pipe and a million tiny white barnacles.

IMG_8914.jpg

Outfall, looking out under Aberdeen Harbour Apron, 0923am.

IMG_8912.jpg

Outfall, looking upstream.

IMG_8911.jpg

Under Aberdeen Upper Harbour. Drain Outfall, is behind to the left.
In the Harbour are lots of Oil Rig Support Ships with names like 'Grampian Sovereign'.
Tunnel is almost exactly one mile long.

IMG_8910.jpg

The HOLE BURN Outfall.

IMG_8906.jpg

Nice Underpass section.

IMG_8905.jpg

Main 1870 Tunnel. Its barely 7ft tall.

IMG_8904.jpg

About 1400m upstream.

IMG_8903.jpg

Another nice underpass.

IMG_8901.jpg

This is about 1700m up. Whole system is around 3900m long. After this it shrinks to 4ft, and the two infalls are both tiny. One is in the front yard of a Scottish Oil Barons Mansion, so FTS.

IMG_8902.jpg

Most of these pics depict Aberdeen after a full weeks rain. The very fact i didnt drown is testament to how light Scottish rain is. Its also reason to be grateful for these nice old, decent sized tunnels.
So many old OS maps to keep looking through.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Spot on :thumb
I wondered when some Aberdeen drains would appear, there are a lot of them. Been down a couple, but as I'm usually stuck in Aberdoom due to bad weather only really scrapped the surface.

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
Yeah fully. I saw a few pics of the upper reaches from someone on Flickr a few years back. Theres some nasty short stoop sections, n i had little faith until it opened out to big old stuff in the last half mile.

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Yeah fully. I saw a few pics of the upper reaches from someone on Flickr a few years back. Theres some nasty short stoop sections, n i had little faith until it opened out to big old stuff in the last half mile.

I'll see if I can find some of mine, they are from non-tidal ones more into the city.

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good stuff .think the harbour one was cleaned up a while back due to contamination from some shithole tanker leaking . really like the engineering that went into the construction of these tunnels.cracking report and pics

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice to see a Scottish drain once in a while :)
I've never been to Scotland but there must be a good few decent drains up there with all that rain and snow!

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Scottish drains look sick! And a decent length too. Nice report. Love the backlighting shotz and under the harbour

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brilliant set, you make drains look fun, maybe I need to stop being a big girls blouse and give drains a go hahaha!

Who has read this thread (Total: 217) View details