real time web analytics
Report - - Aberthaw 'B' Power Station, Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales - May 2021 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Aberthaw 'B' Power Station, Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales - May 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
Construction of the first coal-fired power station at Aberthaw commenced in 1957, on the site of a golf course. It was officially opened in October 1963, and contained six 100MW Parsons turbines. The building was closed in 1995 and demolished shortly afterwards, with the exception of the substation - which remains in use today.
Aberthaw ‘B’ was opened in 1971, after only four years of construction. It was capable of producing 1,560MW from a trio of Associated Electrical Industries (AEI) turbines. The boilers were specially designed to burn the semi-anthracitic low-volatile Welsh coal, together with imported bituminous or anthracite coal.
The station was saved from closure by the addition of flue gas de-sulphurisation (FGD) equipment in 2006, to comply with the EU Large Combustion Plants Directive, aimed to reduce sulphur dioxide emissions. The building was also adapted to co-fire biomass, but this stopped in 2017 when generation was limited to only peak times.
In August 2019 the owners of the site, RWE, announced that Aberthaw ‘B’ would close at the end March the following year. The final shutdown of the turbines occurred in December 2019, leaving the coal-yard still piled high with unused coal. It was the last coal-fired power station in Wales, after Uskmouth was shutdown in April 2017 following an explosion.

The Explore
Visited with @slayaaaa, @xplorer.x, @Boba Low, and @albino-jay, cheers to @Exploring with Andy for providing us with some useful info. I had already made two visits to Aberthaw previously, the first just days after closure in December 2019, with @Olkka and @slayaaaa, then again in the middle of March 2020, with Prettyvacant. I unfortunately didn't get much time to look around on either occasion, and with all the covid hurdles, I never got to have a full look inside before the lights were switched off.

The turbine hall is among the very best I've seen, it’s of a very unusual design as the boiler feed pumps and HP heaters are given a bay to themselves, meaning the turbines are much more dominant, and fairly free from clutter. The structure is also quite different to many of the other power stations I've visited, the walls of the turbine hall are predominantly built of reinforced concrete, now suffering from concrete cancer, the whole building has been built in a trench, so the turbines are at ground level, and it is possible to walk around all four sides of the turbine hall.

_DSC4361.jpg

The site from the ash mound, most of the complex is now in darkness, though the two live substations and access roads are still well lit.

_DSC4366.jpg

_DSC4494.jpg

Where better to start then some shots from the gantry crane. The turbine in the foreground (unit 9) was partly disassembled shortly after closure so components could be tested to destruction at the workshops in what was once Ferrybridge 'A' power station.

_DSC4491.jpg

_DSC4496.jpg

This bay contains the boiler feed pumps and high pressure heaters. On the left are the coal hoppers, and out of site above are the de-aerators.

_DSC4482.jpg

_DSC4475.jpg

_DSC4467.jpg

_DSC4453.jpg

_DSC4616.jpg

_DSC4410 2.jpg

_DSC4418.jpg

_DSC4442.jpg

_DSC4395.jpg

_DSC4430.jpg

_DSC4608.jpg

I've seen quite a few innards of turbines during demolition, but it was nice to see inside a clean one which had been carefully dismantled. This photo is taken from the high pressure end, looking towards one of the low pressure rotors.

_DSC4609.jpg

One of the three low pressure rotors has been removed, the pipes on either side are part of the condensers.

_DSC4612.jpg

_DSC4497.jpg

_DSC4585.jpg

The area below the turbines contained a lot of interesting auxiliary equipment.

_DSC4505.jpg

_DSC4501.jpg

_DSC4500.jpg

_DSC4382.jpg

The feed pump bay, showing the yellow motor driven pumps and cylindrical HP heaters.

_DSC4427.jpg

_DSC4431.jpg

Each unit had one steam driven feed pump.

_DSC4428.jpg

_DSC4597.jpg

There were also a pair of motor driven feed pumps for each unit, with their own local control panel.

_DSC4590.jpg

_DSC4436.jpg

Last edited:

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
_DSC4401.jpg

The control room was locked up but it was possible to get a good look in from the viewing gallery. It's a real shame the original control panels were removed and replaced by computers and screens around 15 years ago, but it was still a nice space.

_DSC4404.jpg

Electrical equipment around the top of the control room, I liked the bottom light windows.

_DSC4615.jpg

The power station had several battery rooms located off the turbine hall, these were used to cover essential equipment in a power failure, until the gas turbines could be brought online.

_DSC4622.jpg

A small storage area adjacent to the turbine hall.

_DSC4599.jpg

The pulverizing fuel mills on the basement level. These consisted of a rotating drum, filled with steel balls, which smashed the coal to powder before it was blown into the boilers.

_DSC4581.jpg

The coal hoppers above the PF mills.

_DSC4576.jpg

_DSC4571.jpg

Forced drought fans in the basement level, at the rear of the boiler house.

_DSC4566.jpg

The ducting for the fans on one of above levels.

_DSC4569.jpg

_DSC4561.jpg

_DSC4627.jpg

I really liked the little railway which ran through the boiler house.

_DSC4515.jpg

_DSC4519.jpg

On the left is one of the boilers, and to the right is one of the feed water tanks.

_DSC4553.jpg

Feed tanks on the left and de-aerator bay to the right.

_DSC4520.jpg

_DSC4529.jpg

_DSC4536.jpg

The impressive de-aerator bay was one of my favorite features of the station, it's the most spacious area I've seen in a coal-burning boiler house, only Fawley could rival it.

_DSC4550.jpg

_DSC4379.jpg

The view over the de-aerator bay roof from the top of the boiler house was pretty bleak.

_DSC4375.jpg

Looking over the precipitators and FGD equipment. The brick-built building on the right is the substation for Aberthaw 'A'

_DSC4635.jpg

The rear of the building from the sea wall.

_DSC4657.jpg

Finally, I climbed the ash tip for a view over the site, light rain was setting in, but the light was lovely.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

xplorer.x

Ignorant Youth
Banned
Thoroughly enjoyed this trip, loved the ambient hollows throughout the boiler house and the unstable weather situation up the chimney. Industry at the coast just has an unparalleled characteristic to inland. Very unique.

Sterling job with your photos too.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a stunning report. Always like seeing this, however I don't think I've seen such detailed shots of the inside of a turbine. They are cracking shots. :cool:

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
To be honest I've just spent the time reading this properly now, bit late. But love it and how you have assessed the station from an architectural and engineering history point of view, and contrasting it to other stations, as usual. This is a niche of formal literature (about this kind of apparatus) that we as a community are left to our own devices to plough the furrow of.

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Fuck me this is so nice. It's like reading a classic inverkip report or something. Big perfect powerstation done in the daytime.