real time web analytics
Report - - Accrington Conservative Club, Lancashire, September 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Accrington Conservative Club, Lancashire, September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Accrington Conservative Club

History

The UK's largest Conservative Club, built in 1890 with a Grand Ballroom that once held 1000 guests. The club was designed by WJ Morley and G Woodhouse, with the funds provided by John Bullough. Bullough was a millionaire through his partnership with a Mr Howard, and owned the massive Globe Works, a huge textile machinery factory in Accrington. In the 1990's the Con Club was converted into a nightclub called Churchills that closed in 2003 due to a customer being killed in a fight outside. Since 2003 the club has had a long and painful history, having owners buying, neglecting and being taken to court over the condition of the Grade II listed building, with plans for different renovation schemes and conversions falling through more than once

Visit

This has to be the most derped and dangerous place I have visited in a long time, it feels more dangerous than Denbigh in all fairness! The best feature of the place is the ballroom, which sadly is on the top floor, which meant getting up a long since destroyed staircase, which as you can see from the photos below, is certainly not for the faint hearted. The ground floor seems to have been some sort of indian style restaurant at one point, although that does not seem to fit with the history above :/

[1]
IMG_24118.jpg

[2]
IMG_24123.jpg

[3] & [4]
IMG_24126.jpg
IMG_24130.jpg

[5]
IMG_24135.jpg

[6]
IMG_24161.jpg

[7]
IMG_24206.jpg

[8] & [9]
IMG_24204.jpg
IMG_24211.jpg

[10] & [11]
IMG_24221.jpg
IMG_24228.jpg

[12]
IMG_24231.jpg

[13]
IMG_24186.jpg

Full Gallery HERE

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Rather you than me climbing up that haha! Looks like they just need to rip the whole of the inside out and start again :(

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
That main hall certainly looks like something out of an asylum. Cool place. In a bad way though!

dartian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to work here when it was churchills. What a shame. It was a fantastic building

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not sure how it'll be anymore. Its just had a major fire
I dont think there will be anything left of the place other than a shell now sadly, as the 2nd floor (where the hall was) was well alight by the time the fire brigade turned up.