real time web analytics
Report - - Adelphi Theatre, Attercliffe, Sheffield - November 2011 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Adelphi Theatre, Attercliffe, Sheffield - November 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Muttley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Visited with Tablets & WB

Blurb courtesy of arthurlloyd.co.uk
The Adelphi Picture Theatre, in Vicarage Road, Sheffield was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened for business on the 18th of October 1920.

The exterior was built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade. The auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350, and a projection room at the back of the stalls.

The Theatre was the subject of some restoration and redecoration in the late 1930s but after bomb damage during the second world war, and a brief closure of one month, the building was furthur renovated in 1946.

The last film presentation at the Adelphi, which had always been an independent Cinema, was a showing of 'The Karate Killers' and 'The Rounders' on the 28th of October 1976.

The Adelphi then became a Bingo Club for many years until it closed in the mid 1990s. It was then converted into a nightclub where live bands also performed on occasions, but closed down in late 2006.

The Adelphi is a Grade II Listed building.

Last time we tried this place, Kitty set the alarms off so we left it for another day.

Fast forward 18 months and that day finally came.

Unfortunately the main auditorium was "clubbed" to death during the conversion to bingo club and then a nightclub, with zero original features remaining.

6345664170_2a0402282b.jpg

But it did have a glitter ball :thumb

6344923437_4e164c6cc4.jpg

Front of house and upstairs revealed some nice stained glass windows

6344770013_e868b1994f.jpg

and beautiful floors

6345524504_36b170cd3b.jpg

and a few original mouldings

6344948561_57aa08dfdd.jpg

6345679714_a9d3205b38.jpg

Overall a disappointing visit, not really surprised Tony turned down the chance to visit.

6345688968_80c2e61ae1.jpg

Thanks to Bugs & SammyDoubleWhammy​

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Not seen anything. Front door was open when we did it years ago. Worth a look but not epic inside.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Been watching this for ages; whenever I'm in Sheff anyway. It's always been sealed tighter than a chastity belt.

Tia@walkingwild

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've tried getting in touch about this theatre can anyone point me in right direction as I would rather gain permission.
Thanks

chills

Queller of the uprising
Does this offer still stand?

I think you’ll be lucky to get a reply here, post is over two years old and the user hasn’t been active since October 2019 but always worth a try dropping a message or doing some research around the area!

Potatowaffle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think you’ll be lucky to get a reply here, post is over two years old and the user hasn’t been active since October 2019 but always worth a try dropping a message or doing some research around the area!
Yeah I don't hold out much hope but the place is fully boarded up. I've looked today. Tbh I think they just created their account just to make that comment but worth a try