real time web analytics
Report - - Adelphi Theatre, Sheffield - Dec 2011 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Adelphi Theatre, Sheffield - Dec 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
Like the rest of the exploring population of Sheffield, I'd been keeping an eye on this one for a long time.
After seeing the first couple of reports to come out of here, I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed with what it had to offer - this place is no Hulme Hippodrome, that's for sure - but I didn't want to give up hope on a site I'd waited so long to see.

History:
The Adelphi Picture Theatre, in Vicarage Road, Sheffield was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened for business on the 18th of October 1920.

The exterior was built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade. The auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350, and a projection room at the back of the stalls.

The Theatre was the subject of some restoration and redecoration in the late 1930s but after bomb damage during the second world war, and a brief closure of one month, the building was furthur renovated in 1946.

The last film presentation at the Adelphi, which had always been an independent Cinema, was a showing of 'The Karate Killers' and 'The Rounders' on the 28th of October 1976.

The Adelphi then became a Bingo Club for many years until it closed in the mid 1990s. It was then converted into a nightclub where live bands also performed on occasions, but closed down in late 2006.

The Adelphi is a Grade II Listed building and still stands today. However this building should not be confused with the former Adelphi Theatre in Furnival Road and Blonk Street, later the Alexandra Music Hall.

My shots aren't fantastic as it was an absolute bastard to try and light without giving ourselves away! :banghead

Visited with ***********.

Bit of comedy access got the night off to a good start :thumb

DSC_3885.jpg

Disco

DSC_3899.jpg

DSC_3906.jpg

Dicking about with ur Xmas lightZ.

DSC_3908.jpg

DSC_3914.jpg

DSC_3923.jpg

The conversion has ruined this place but there are still some really nice bits to see, like this plaster molding.

DSC_3927.jpg

DSC_3930.jpg

DSC_3936.jpg

DSC_3939.jpg