real time web analytics
Report - - Alcan Aerospace Industrial Estate + Laboratory | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Alcan Aerospace Industrial Estate + Laboratory

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

LeeRielly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My friend and I visited the Alcan Aerospace industrial estate in Lilyhall, Workington.

W11uUhC.jpg

The site was vast and gave us a mammoth task of exploring it before it got dark.

A bit of history about the site:
The Alcan factory in Cumbria opened in 1940, it was the first factory on the Lilyhall industrial estate.
The site is 45 acres in size and contains 8 buildings, most of which are very large warehouses/production buildings.
This branch of Alcan had over 150 staff members when it finally closed in 2007 due to the company moving to France, since then the site has been left to rot.

Inside the first building we were greeted by a lovely explosion warning sign, this is when we knew that they did some important work here back in the day.

bxV4rdg.jpg

We ventured around the large warehouses checking out all of the little offices that were dotted around the place, we then came across this lovely little jungle-esque wall holding a fire hose... It made for a nice photo.

zC4ov6p.jpg

After leaving the warehouses, we found a building which said "Warning: Acid" on the door... Of course we were intrigued!

We entered the building and were immediately met with a broken window covered in a red splattered substance, blood perhaps?

We carried on through the corridor and we found this amazing science lab, it felt like I was back in school!

fli3xJZ.jpg

Outside the door of this room were two lab jackets which were covered in that "red substance" - I'll let you make your own minds up on what it is.

BGc1v9g.jpg

We then found a stairway which led us downstairs into a pitch-black basement, we needed the big camera lights to see where we were going, down there we found a very interesting room...

bjgW8sT.jpg

The room was full of paperwork (incident reports, wages, national insurance documents, etc.) and they dated all the way back to the 70's!

We went into one of the staff offices and found these really cool images just left on a filing cabinet, very interesting shots...

8s5F4BT.jpg

In the same office, we found some old photo slides, roughly 20 of them and they all looked to be various locations on the industrial site.

t5Zhu2b.jpg

We left the site after thoroughly exploring the place, we even made a video whilst exploring and it shows things that I have not shown in this report:

My friend who was exploring with me also has a blog on which he will be writing his own perspective: www.offlimitsexploration.wordpress.com

Thanks for viewing my report and I hope you enjoyed the photographs and video.

Lee

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Excellent, a few more photos would be good but looks a good explore and I like the photos. Are they 35mm?

Great effort.

LeeRielly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent, a few more photos would be good but looks a good explore and I like the photos. Are they 35mm?

Great effort.
Thanks buddy :-)

It's only my second report on this site so just improving as I go really :).

The lenses I used were:
Sigma 24mm
Canon 50mm

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Damn really?

I got them from a newspaper website (Chronicle Live) and they even said in their report that it was pictures of this site!

They must've made a mistake, oh well! *buries head in hands*

Maybe I'm wrong. Just looked like it to me.